I pick up Kurt everyday on my way home from work because I have to drive through Boston to get home anyway. Plus, picking him up means I don’t have to sit in traffic alone because we can hop in the carpool lane! Woop Woop!
Anywho. About 5 minutes from Kurt’s building, I always see the same homeless kid standing around a traffic light, walking down lanes while we wait for the light to change. He must be about my age, 22, and always has a really sad look on his face and wears sad looking clothes. I can’t help but get wicked sad myself when I see him. I’ve kept snacks that I don’t eat at work and think about giving them to him through the window when he walks by, or giving him my water bottle…but I haven’t yet.
This is where I see him. Fanuel Hall area:
I’ve seen him in blizzards, rainstorms, hot weather, frigid weather, everything. He is ALWAYS there! His sign says “Anything will help. Just Smile.” I always think about this kid (in a non creepy/stalker way of course!) and wonder if he really is homeless. We have all learned that some homeless people really aren’t homeless, but are just being panhandlers.
I’ll never know if this kid really is homeless, but I feel like helping him out some days as I sit in my nice comfortable car, coming from my paying job, going home to a warm house. I guess it just makes me realize how lucky I really am! But it also really makes me think, ya know?
![]() |
| photo via |
Do you guys help homeless people or ever think about helping them?






24 comments:
In my hometown, I have never seen homeless people... But when I lived in Québec city, where I worked, there was some homeless people there and I sometimes gave some money to them.
We are lucky to be living in a warm house, you are so right!
You are right you just never know! I was sitting in Jack in the Box once, and this lady comes up with a sign that says.."I'm deaf, and have no money can you please help me" So I give her a few bucks. No big deal. WELL, as shes walking out the door (back facing the order counter) the manager shouts, "HEY!.." and this "DEAF" lady turns around! I almost fell out of my chair. Since then I have only helped the homeless who have pets. My hubby gave a man with a dog his powerade. The man took a drink and poured some in the cap for his dog. Animals are helpless...people, not so much.
It's hard to see young people that are homeless. I don't usually give to the homeless because I feel like they could do something to better themselves. There are plenty of work programs out there and I have no doubt they know about them through the local homeless shelters. I'm a cynic I guess but it's just hard for me to justify giving money to someone for doing nothing.
I am way more inclined to give food/snacks or drinks to someone that seems to be homeless. Every now and then I will give a couple dollars if I have any but I would rather give them sustenance.
I try to when I see them. You never know what battle people are fighting, and whether or not they are actually homeless is irrelevant. It's whether you are willing to open your heart and know that even if they're lying, they have reduced themselves to begging for money. And that they need help one way or the other.
Hebrews 13:2 - Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.
:)
You never really know. I always feel bad when I see people on the sides of roads or sidewalks. I wouldn't mind giving them food or water, but I don't give out money.
Thanks for the reminder about where I am in life and how fortunate and blessed I am!
xoxo
wow I just read Tonya's comment and had deja vu! just last night Taylor told me he gave 7 dollars to some guy who came up to his car in the Jack in the Box drive-thru! Even then I told him he probably got duped.
Does he have a sign or anything?? I think food and water are your best bet. I always think the same thing and a lot of times it really breaks my heart.
My friend yelled at a guy who stands on the same intersection in Baltimore because EVERY.DAY he tells people his car broke down and he just needs 5 dollars to get gas. He tells her the same thing every time she is at that intersection.
CarissaExplainsItAll
My mom keeps dollar coupons to McDonalds in her car to give to homeless people. That way she knows that she are getting food/drink and she only has to give in dollar increments. Even if they're not homeless, she feels like giving a dollar to someone who may have a home, but who may be in need of food is worth it!
I have given to homeless people before but sometimes I get scared going up to them if they will try to take my bag or something. In Philly, a girl was heckled right in front of my boyfriend and I. 2 homeless looking guys were calling her a bitch because she walked by without giving any money, so I was scared when we had to pass them. In Paris, I gave a woman a few Euros because she asked if we spoke English, and then had some kind of story. I realize now that she was probably lying.
I'd recommend just giving snacks or drinks instead of money.
I never give money to homeless people, except when one helps me out (aka at the subway station because I don't know how to buy a ticket...we don't use it mush in Atlanta. When I lived in Dallas I used to see a homeless guy with a dog, and it made me so sad! The dog was completely helpless, and you know he peobebly ate much less then the man did. Since then I have thought about carrying dog food in my car to give out (weird? yes but I love dogs!!!) but I have never had the chance to.
It makes me so sad to see a homeless person on the side of the road. I sometimes give them a dollar but other times I just try to avoid eye contact. You don't know for sure if their really homeless but even if they are theres always ways out. Even with this economy theres always a way. Not necessarily a way out, but a way to better their lives even if they are begging for money on the street. Better solution would be begging for jobs! But don't get me wrong I end up giving the majority a dollar when I see them
I always struggle with what to do as well. I feel truly blessed and can not imagine what it would be like to be in that situation. I've given food to homeless people before. I also gave a giftcard to this one homeless person to CVS. I figured I got it free with a prescription refill and no matter what the situation was that person needed it more then I did.
Another thought, we just celebrated Easter. Jesus died for our sins and he didn't ask what everyones situation was or what more they could be doing.
I would be fine with giving food or a drink to a homeless person, or even taking them to a near by fast food and getting them something healthy or warm over giving them money. You just never know with people and luckily we don't have a lot of homeless people where I live, so I very rarely see them and I feel sad when I travel to big cities and see them!
you drive through.... BOSTON.. to get home? what a dream (to me!) i wanna live there one day! and i live in CA right now. lovely blog. :)
i on occasionally help homeless people! you should check out my blog because i posted a video last week about a girl who helped a homless man out- it was pretty powerful.
I always try to give something...even if it's just a few dollars or a meal. I figure that EVEN if they are fake and just trying to get money/drugs/alcohol, that's on THEIR heads, not mine. I'm doing the right thing by being like Jesus. My mom would always say, "It could be Jesus testing you." You never know!!
I'm totally in agreement with Megan's comment. I will give a few dollars or food. I do always think about them spending money on something unnecessary but at least I know I'm doing the right thing and trying to help someone who appears in need.
It makes me so sad, too. I wish I as braver so I could help more...it is so sad, and I have such a desire to help, but I'm scared. You just can't trust people. How do you know someone won't try to rob you or kidnap you or something (does that sound ridiculous?)... Ya know, you always hear songs about how people like that are secretly angels in disguise...
I always see homeless people, but no, I don't help, even though I wish I did. I always see one particular guy with a dog, so one time my mom got him a coffee and muffin (I think) because it was winter, and a box of treats for the dog. I know this is horrible, but I always feel terrible for the animals..
If I have an un-opened drink or snack in my car I will hand it over to them. I try not to give out too much cash to them though...
this is a tough questions It depends on the setting. So I guess the answer is sometimes
I work in the NYC area and see homeless people regularly. If I have change or a dollar easily accessible, I will give it. I have also given snacks.
But one time I had just purchased a sandwich and saw some really desperate looking homeless man so I gave it to him (I hadn't even opened it) and he THREW it back at me saying that he didn't want food he wanted money! As Stephanie Tanner would say..."How Rude!!" Since then I've cut back my giving a bit!
I lived and worked in Boston for a while and saw lots of homeless regulars, like you say, always in the same spot. I wouldn't help them just because I was always going to work on foot by myself in the early morning and getting off late at night. Maybe if there had been others with me. But this post touches a soft spot either way because my younger brother is homeless and disconnected from us right now. I'm always thinking about who does or doesn't help him out.
Post a Comment