PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

4.21.2011

Accomplishments

I was having a Debbie Downer day the other day. I got home from work and literally cried myself into an hour long nap while poor Kurt tried to console me. I screamed at him! I started going off about stupid dirty dishes that hadn't been washed, so he went and washed them. I felt terrible. Haven't you ever just had those days!?

I just felt so blah, and when I feel blah, I start picking myself apart, saying what I can do better, what I should do better, etc. I complained to Kurt and said I wasn't going anywhere in life and hadn't accomplished anything cool. Ya, I know..it's a crappy quality to have!

I woke up from my nap and somehow started looking through my photo albums on my computer. I came across one I took last February.


Clearly, that ain't me! But I took it.

At the top of Mt Monadnock in New Hampshire. Yeah, it's not a very known mountain, but it is known as the second most climbed mountain in the world, after Mt. Fuji.

That guy right there, climbed that mountain every single day for 8 years straight. 2,850 days to be exact. Not even kidding you..he climbed it every. single. day. He climbed it during blizzards, hurricanes, thunderstorms, heat waves, you name it, he climbed through it. But one day, he got pneumonia, and his doctor told him if he hiked it one more day, he could die.

via google
Imagine your life after you don't climb that damn mountain? I mean, it was his goal every day..to hike that mountain and touch the marker at the very top. He was defeated. He was angry. But at the same time, a whole new life opened up to him. He could now go on other excursions he had been planning to do, he could now go visit family, go away for a weekend. He wasn't held back by his mountain.

I had the opportunity to interview him and actually climb with him..in freakin' February. I wore a pair of cramp-ons..those spike thingies that clip onto your shoes in case you slip and fall. YIKES! But it was an experience I will never ever forget.

It made me start thinking about my own accomplishments. He inspired me to want to set goals, and accomplish them. I have a few goals in life, but I think they're silly. I want to do some fo real..like somethin' big! I just don't know what yet...but life's too short!


Oh! You guys should tooootally read the article I wrote about Mountain Man..I promise it's pretty interesting and it really makes you wonder about things people do and why they do it. Plus, I wrote it, so why WOULDN'T you want to read it!? haha I'm only jokinnn

Click here to read it!!

What do you guys want to accomplish in life? Do you know yet? Or do you have any plans?

Photobucket

13 comments:

Café Moka said...

Wow, this guy is awesome!!!

I totally have those bad days sometimes!

ty said...

I loved this post. It's never about what happens, but how you view it. Love love love.

Amanda Schroeder said...

love this! good post. it made me think about my own life and accomplishments as well. i painted a hugeee canvas bucket list. everytime i accomplish something, i cross it off and post the picture next to it :) it's a fun thing to have. loved this post!!

♥ xoxo.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome post! And let me tell you.. I have those days near the period and actually I was having one yesterday. I used/still do the same thing.. get mad and fussy at stupid things and take it out on my hubby.. when all he wants to do is be there for me.

Anyways - Love this post and it also makes me think... I really don't know what I want to do yet which really bums me out "/ I already have my AA degree.. guess that's one accomplishment. Once we move and I get a decent job either helping kids or helping others it would make me feel so good inside. & of course just having a job and bringing in some income. Maybe go back to school...... hmm... lol

ok - now that you know my whole life story.. haha :) Thanks for sharing that article!

Pamela said...

Love this post! I def have those days, especially the ones where I dont know what I am doing with my life. I have an Interior Design degree, but where I live the economy isn't good. The furniture business isn't picking back up, so hopefully (fingers crossed & about a million prayers prayed) I will find something that I LOVE. I work at an attorney's office now. It's job. Not one that I love & look forward to coming to each day, but I am OH so thankful that I do have a job because there aren't too many out there nowadays. I want a career, something I love.

Jenni@Story of My Life said...

I totally have days like that sometimes. And this was such a wonderful, inspiring post! And an interesting story, about that man!

One thing I've realized lately is that I am way, way, way too hard on myself. I had a little bit of an epiphany the other day... which was that EVERY SINGLE DAY is a chance to start over.I get hard on myself when I look at what I've done in the past, or how I didn't complete my goals for last week, or do all my chores... and then I get discouraged and feel like a failure and stop trying. But that is just so silly! Tomorrow is a brand new day. NOW is a whole new hour! Not all days will be perfect, and THAT'S OK. The thing is, we just can't give up on being BETTER.

OK, sorry for the weirdly long comment. Bye.

Anonymous said...

Awe I HATE days like that! And you are so blessed to have interviewed this man and experience his passion first hand. That is so inspiring. Thanks so much for sharing<3

xoxo,
Jessie

http://sweetlilsomethings.blogspot.com/

Rissy said...

I really love that you did that! It's an incredibly inspiring story, but I wouldn't have thought about the drawbacks probably for awhile. But really... setting aside everyday goals for different ones could be really freeing too. Thanks for the inspiration for the day lovebug.

Oh and I would have come over and cried with you just for kicks had I known.

CarissaExplainsItAll

Anonymous said...

I hear ya on feeling like you're not doing anything... but you totally are! :)

Chrissi said...

Hi, I'm a new reader of your blog and I definitely like what I'm reading. You're real, and you're funny. Good combination.

Yesterday I was a Debbie Downer for sure. Work totally sucked and I swear my normally sweet little toddler totally had it out for me. Definitely had to take a moment and do some calming breaths.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and keep blogging!

Chrissi

Ashley said...

holy mountain climber! that's intense!

PS - so cool you get to write about such awesome things.

hmm i wanted to accomplish running a marathon but, i already did that, so now i have to pick something new!

marry i'll marry ryan reynolds? yes, yes that seems like a good challenge ;)

Kelsey said...

this is an amazing story! thank you for sharing :) love your blog too.
xoxo

kelseyannesmith.blogspot.com

Megan said...

How cool that you got to interview him!! That itself is amazing right there, E!! You are such a great writer!!!!!! I think he is insane and inspiring for doing this every day!!

PS: Don't be hard on yourself. We ALL feel like that. Sometimes I think that I'm not a good enough wife, I'm not fashion-y, I'm not this, I'm not that. We all can't be everything! You are not alone in feeling like that. Promise!