PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

4.25.2011

Easter weekend food fight


I had a fight with our kitchen on Saturday. Somehow I got put in charge of making dessert for Easter. I went out on Friday night in Providence, RI for my friend’s birthday and got back to our apartment around noon on Saturday ready to be Betty Crocka. I decided to bake THIS CAKE from Hershey’s website. Here it is!


Can we say TRAIN WRECK? Don't worry, I was not chugging that Jagermeister that you see in the background. It happened to be out of the freezer while I was moving stuff around.

First off, I struggled with getting each layer out of the stupid round pan. We won’t even talk about how it got stuck to the bottom of the pan and wouldn’t loosen to come out. There was chocolate, flour, sugar EVERYWHERE! I let the cake cool for about 45 minutes and even put it in the fridge for 20 minutes before I decided to frost it. But as you can see from the TRAIN WRECK picture above, as I started frosting, it just melted off and looked so sad...so I stopped before I even went further.

Kurt went home for Easter so he wasn’t even at the apartment with me to help me. I may have had a mini tantrum, and decided to toss the damn cake and start over…but this time using a regular 9x13 pan. Came out perfect. Then I decided to tackle these guys:


My bunny cake pops! After some frustration with dripping frosting and struggles with the edible ink pens, I think they came out pretty cool. 


I brought them over to my house and my mom and dadd wanted to display them on our dining room table. Golden child, right here! haha jk My family and relatives LOVED them! Thank God. And the cake? They devoured it.

My sister was nursing a hangover for most of the day. Nothin' better than having a hangover while your entire family is over, asking question after question about school, boyfriends, life...hahah


I hung outside in our backyard with my mom and aunts while they cooked some of our Easter dins on the grill and enjoyed the gorggg weather and my Kindle!


Then we went and had a big Easter dinner with everyone and stuffed our faces until we were immobile from our food comas. All in all, a great weekend!

Photobucket

20 comments:

Kerr said...

Very impressive cake pops! Jager and chocolate cake sounds like a winning combination to me!

Tonya Hunter said...

OMG. I love bakerella.com!! Thanks to you I go on there all the time to get creative ideas. For Easter I made the Easter Basket cupcakes. They came out pretty damn good! LOL.

Danielle said...

I'm sorry your first cake attempt didn't go so well. That's my go-to chocolate cake recipe and I can certainly attest to how moist it is. I'm glad you tried again and it came out better.

The cake pops are quite impressive as well. Look out Betty Crocker!

Rissy said...

you're reading The Help?!!?!? I love that book.

I am actually quite impressed with your culinary skills despite the initial appearance of the chocolate cake.

Poor sissy poo : ( I hope she dove back in for more alcohol haha

CarissaExplainsItAll

Sarah said...

those cake pops are adorable!!!!

Michelle said...

your cake pops came out awesome! WOW!

Maybe your cake was sad that you didn't put jager in it that's why it wanted to stay in the pan ;) HAHA

Sounds like a great Easter! XOXO

Lauren said...

Your cake pops came out soo cute :-)

RAW said...

The cake pops are adorable. Good job!

Even though the cake is a little messy, it looks DELICIOUS. I want to jump through my computer screen and eat it...

Whim Wham Life said...

Hello little miss Bakerella! You did great! Something about that chocolate cake is making me drool. I think it's the frosting. I would so eat some for breakfast today:-) xoxo

Unknown said...

your cake pops are DARLING! Great job!!!

That chocolate cake, while a mess, looks DELICIOUS! I would have totally chowed down on that with ya =)

Helen said...

Those cake pops are extremely impressive! Good job! Glad you had such a great Easter!!

jenny said...

hahah! loved the chocolate cake! that is what mine would look like also!!!

Tatiana said...

those cake pops look SO delicious! Great job girl!
And no worries, most of my deserts end up like your first picture.
I'm glad you had an awesome Easter with the fam :-)

Megan said...

Your cake fiasco sounds like my cupcake fiasco. Blah. #cookingsucks

I love your cake pops!! So so adorable, E!!

Anonymous said...

those are so cute girl :) LOVE the cake pops! i just came across your blog and i'm def a new follower! can't wait to read more! xo

Unknown said...

train wreck or not...I would still eat it!!

Stephanie&Such

Alisha said...

Girl, you're a pro at the cake pops now! Feel free to send some down to Texas ;)

Sounds like a great Easter weekend!

Jill said...

every blog post i've read has talked about how much food everyone ate on easter. I feel the same way lol. I still feel full. Ugh to having to answer all the parental ?s with a hangover!!! Everytime I went home for breaks in college I was so tired and just wanted to sleep but my mom would always ask me a million ?s

Cori said...

I am super impressed by those bunnies! Wow! Seriously - A+! The cake? It looks a little odd; but, it was very remniscent of the one on Matilda...and Brucey claimed that it tasted pretty damn good. :)

I feel for your sister. Some of my family decided to have our Christmas this last year on New Year's Day! Worst. Idea. Ever.

Cori at ILoveLucyJean

.:Chelsey:. said...

You cake-ball-bunnies turned out so cute!