Bonjour Lovelies!
Okay everyone. I need some thoughts on this so I don't feel like I'm crazy.
What do we spend too much/unnecessary money on?
Last night was the premier of Toddlers and Tiaras. Yes I am a sucker for shows like that. Anyway, if anyone watched it last night, there was a family with twin girls who were absolutely adorable (and freakin spoiled rotten) Their parents spend $250,000 A YEAR on their pageants, and their mother prances around in Loubitons and Dior and Prada shoes! So it got me thinking. What do Americans spend too much money on?
I admit I'm guilty of this..as is a lot of people! I spend money on stuff that really doesn't matter, but in the end, makes me happy.
Take this for example. I went into Neiman Marcus one day..just browsing, not really planning on buying anything extravagant, even though a hideous pair of fur lined 500$ jeans caught my eye (Not!) I found these chocolate candy sticks that I used to eat and had to buy them. So I stood in line to buy my candy, while people stood in line buying hundreds of dollars in clothing..yeah that was me!
So anyway, this woman in front of me has a heaping..and I mean heaping pile of clothes in her arms as she is putting them one by one on the desk to be ringed up. But I wasn't focused on the clothes (though I creeped and saw that she spent almost $1300 on her stuff). I was focused on her kid in a stroller. Okay, even further than the kid. I was focused on the damn stroller. I felt like the kid needed a black batman suit to go with this stroller. I was in awe struck at this stroller and saw the name of it on the side 'The Roddler.' Because this woman was taking forever, I had a few minutes to look it up on my phone. Here it is.
It looks like a mix between the bat mobile, a motorcycle, and a Rolls Royce. But boy..this was the Rolls Royce of strollers. I practically fainted when I found the price on my phone. $2,900!!! WHAT!? Lady, you spent that much on a stroller where you're kid was just going to piss and poop and drool and drop food and bang toys on it? I found this ridiculous! I couldn't stop staring at it. I almost wanted to take the kid out and see for myself if it was comfy enough to cost that much. The stroller doesn't even look comfy in the picture. Looks hard as a rock. It probably feels like wood. Or cement. Okay, now I'm just getting angry!Why do we do this! Like I said, I'm guilty of buying expensive things just because, but why? I understand our children deserve the best, but not $2,900 worth for ONE ITEM that they're in for maybe 2 hours a day if that..especially when that money could go towards buying diapers, food, toys, clothes, or taking baby on trips! But again, this woman just spent a shit-ton on herself, so she must be loaded.
Oh people..I love observing. I cannot help it! I think because I was a journalism major in college, I have a knack for creeping and finding things out and people watching. It's a lot of fun and you definitely learn a lot..even by standing in Neiman Marcus buying candy!
xoxo love all my bloggies!






9 comments:
I saw Toddlers & Tiaras, too, and I just laughed...I think it's ridiculous. But that's my own opinion, I guess! I DO think that spending $25,000 on those twins is ABSURD because that money could be spent on MUCH better things such as savings, donating, family vacations, etc...anyways...I think people spend too much money on a lot of things, but I always defend myself by saying that if it's worth the QUALITY, it's ok (like a gorgeous LV that will last for YEARS)! Haha...I could be wrong ;)
haha this cracked me up! i have a couple "friends" who had to have the ritzy strollers too - so ridiculous! great story though!
Thank you for the upbeat/inspirational comment you left for me today!! Lord knows I NEED to hear all of that right now!! I just HATE being exactly what you said - a Debbie Downer haha.
Life is too short.
ANyhoo...
I looove T&T! I am sad I missed it!!! I spend too much money on purses and now shoes...I am an accessories whore. But when it comes to clothes then I want to buy up dresses!! Not big on clothing, it's strange haha.
Happy New Year!!!! Your blog is my top 10 favs (just so ya know!) Behave!!!
that stroller is ridiculous! Its not even cute, I think it would be more acceptable if it was one of those old fashioned carriage type that are too adorable for words. I still wouldn't spend money on that, but I would be able to see why someone would. People are crazy sometimes though. I doubt that child will one day thank his/her parents for that purchase anyways. Save that money for a good education!!
Personally I spend a lot of money on clothes and shoes that make me happy, but now that I'm a jobless college student I'm cutting down. Or at least trying... Kate Spade's really hard to resist!!
Oh good Lord! $2900 on a stroller that looks like a Jetson's mobile!?? I think we all tend to splurge on things every once in a while but sometimes its good to come back down to earth and tell yourself "Dude. This is getting out of control!"
Or there's the flip side...it's just money and you can't take it with you so you might as well spend it right?!
Depends on what day it is for me to know how I feel about overspending...as you can see!
Happy New Year!
wow -- that's an ABSURD about of money! I am pretty good about not overspending...every once in a while I indulge but I do what I can to get the best deal possible. That lady just didn't know what to do with all her money -- and $1300?! on clothes -- that would buy me more than enough clothes where I wouldn't need to shop for a VERY long while...I mean I could replace all my clothes in my closet for that much!
I can't believe that show!! Did you see that one costume costs $2000!! That's crazy!! I can't watch that show anymore, I get too frusterated! ;-)
Happy Thursday Darling! xo
If you're interested, I'm doing a perfume giveaway at my blog!
This post definitely made me laugh!! You should have asked if you could have a turn in it to see how comfy it was! That really is SO crazy that people spend that much money of ONE item that is not a car/house/boat...something of that nature. I think that these days people spend too much money on houses...a lot of people get in over their heads because they want a big fancy house. Then they end up with a big fancy mortgage note!
Post a Comment