PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

7.18.2011

Sometimes life is hard....(and a confession)

It's been a tough few days....


When my parents picked up Kurt and I from the airport on Saturday afternoon, my dad got out of the car and came running to me and said my grandfather passed away. I looked up at him stunned and then over to my mom, who was coming out of the car crying. It was her father...and she had just been getting used to the death of her mother (my grandmother) who died 4 months ago.

It was sudden. He was not sick. He fell in the middle of the night and was taken to the hospital where they said he had a hurt hip. He was supposed to be released the next day or 2, but something went wrong with his kidneys overnight and there was nothing anyone could do. He was 90 and sharp as a tack, and had the best sense of humor.  None of us were expecting it and to be honest, it still has not even hit me yet that he is gone. It's not fair. We weren't ready for this.

my grandfather and sis were trying to ring my arm with his cane! 
And don't you love his shades? He had had a small eye surgery a couple days before this.

The only thing keeping me positive is the fact that the day he died was also his wife's birthday. I'm just trying to think that maybe my grandmother didn't want to spend her birthday alone in heaven.

******

I don't usually like to be so down on my blog, but I think it's helpful to share how you feel...happy or sad...and the amount of support I get from all of you is just SO amazing. I truly love you all! I'll leave you with something a little more upbeat. I didn't confess with Rissy last week because I had a group of AMAZING guest posters. I love all of you ladies!

I confess...I have jury duty tomorrow and am both nervous/excited that I will be put on this 
crazy murder case like Whitey Bulger or something (yeah right) But my luck I'll be 
put on a case about some lady who stole her boyfriend's couch

I confess...I promise to show and share my trip to Florida with you guys

I confess...I went to the Lil Wayne concert last night and got a contact high 
from all the pot being smoked around us. I had the munchies when I got home.

I confess...I'm getting too used to being unemployed. I need to 
get back on the jobsearch bandwagon.

What do you have to confess? Link up with my good pal Rissy and let everyone know! :-)



Photobucket

54 comments:

Ana said...

So sorry to hear it, dear! My prayers are with you and your family! I'm sure he's very happy with your grandma in heaven right now!!!

Café Moka said...

So sorry about your loss girl!

How's going the job search?
I was wondering if you have any unemployment benefit? I hope so!

Jen said...

So sorry to hear this :-( he seems like he was awesome. At least there is some comfort in knowing he got to spend your grandmothers birthday with her. If you find a good job.. Let me know. Mine is driving me up a wall!! But I don't like to work a lot either...I couldn't handle full-time!

Ashley said...

Erica, I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. My heart skipped a beat when you made the comment about your grandmother not wanting to celebrate her bday in heaven alone...that was so sweet and I'm sure its true! I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers during this time!

Glad to hear you had a wonderful time at the concert! ;)

So shay said...

Erica, I am so so so sorry to hear about this. My heart aches for you and your family. My papaw and Mamaw are getting to that age now and I just don't know how I will cope when it happens. I always hear that when one goes, the other isn't too far behind. I kind of like that, because I know if Andrew died, I wouldn't be far behind either. I think that is so sweet what you said about her not wanting to spend her birthday alone. They are in Heaven now looking down on you smiling and they are having the best time. I know it! I'm here for you if you need me love. I love you to the moon and back! Keep your head up and know that you are all in my prayers.

Xoxoxo <3

Amanda said...

Erica, I am so sorry. I'm sitting here crying and I don't even know you! I hope your family is doing well, and you're doing okay. I'm thinking of you :)

Jess said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It's sweet about it also being your grandmother's birthday - I'm sure you're right - she didn't want to spend a birthday away from him. Although I'm sure it isn't much comfort, at least he didn't suffer and now he's reunited with the love of his life.

Much love,
Jess

Lauren said...

I'm so sorry for your loss :-( Thinking of you lots girl! xoxo

Stacy said...

Sorry to hear of your loss - that sucks!!

Michelle said...

OMG I'm so sorry!!! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! If you need anything, I'm here!!!!! I'm really so sorry :(

On another note, I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip.

Love you pretty girl! XOXO

Beth said...

so sorry to hear about your grandpa. thinking of you and your family.

Jennifer said...

So sorry to hear about your grandpa. My thoughts go out to you and your family. What a great photo of him.

Megan said...

Awww, Erica, I'm so so sorry to hear about your loss. He sounds like one hilarious man. Praying for you and your family!!

Marian said...

Erica...I'm so sorry to hear about your family! Sending lots of virtual hugs your way!

BelleinBows said...

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandfather. You're in my thoughts.

The Michelle Show said...

I'm so sorry to hear about that :( I never know if its worse when its unexpected, or dragged out.

Amber said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my grandmother last week, so I know exactly what you are going through. Thinking about you and your family.

On a brighter note, I am sure the Lil Wayne concert was amazing....even if you had the munchies afterwords.

Ashley Lynn said...

So sorry to hear about your grandpa. My grandpa passed away almost three years ago and it was very sudden and unexpected too. Prayers coming your way!!!

Lindsey said...

I'm so sorry Erica. That's horrible, but it is sweet what you said about him going up to Heaven to be with her on her birthday. That made me teary eyed.

My dad's mom keeps falling and hurting herself. She refuses to live in assisted living though. It's a nightmare and so scary.

I hope you have some time to heal and just think of the long life he lived and all the happy memories you have with him. Death is still always very hard. Hugs. You're in my thoughts.

p.s. I've always wanted to do jury duty. Maybe one day! I hope you get picked for something good.

Gentri said...

I am so sorry!! I think that you are right- your grandma just wanted the love of her life with her on her special day. :)

Jill said...

so sorry about your gpa :/

Jenna @ LaFemmeLaFanciful.com said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa. I can tell just from the picture alone he must have had an amazing sense of humor! I like what you wrote about your grandma not wanting to spend her birthday without him- what a wonderful thought <3

Carolyn said...

Oh honey! I'm so sorry!!! I wish I could hug you!!! :(

Christina said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather :( It's so hard with grandparents, especially if you're close.

I can't wait to hear about your trip!

Anonymous said...

HUG* I am sorry to hear that!

Pamela said...

Aww!! I am so sorry!! Will def keep you in my thoughts & prayers. Maybe you are right, maybe she didn't want to spend a birthday without him!!

choose to be happy blog said...

i confess. i love you, and i am so sorry to hear about your grandpa. it is so hard. but you are right, he is just doing what his sweetie wants and she wants him to spend her birthday with him.

and if it helps at all... i just finished reading Heaven is for Real.. (you’ve heard of that book/story right) and if it makes you feel any better... heaven is a pretty amazzzzzing place. so i think your grandpa is happy. and the little boy also says in heaven: no one is old. and no one wears glasses :)

i also confess, that its thanks to you i now know how to see if someone tweeted me.. now to learn how to reply!! :)

Ruthie said...

I'm so sorry about your grandfather, but I like what you said about your grandma's birthday. They are together again! I will keep you and your family in my thoughts!

Erin said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandpa's passing. My Grandma passed away in March on what would have been her 40th wedding anniversary with my Grandpa (he died 20 years earlier). Isn't it insane how strong love can be? You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,
Erin

Danielle said...

I'm sorry for your loss. It's never easy to lose a loved one but when it's unexpected, it's like you live in a state of shock for several days. I lost my grandmother, unexpectedly, a little over a month ago and I still think about her every day. It's funny to say it's unexpected when she was 97 years old but we expected her to live another 10 years! My thoughts are with you.

Chelsea said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, sweet girl. It was so touching to read what you said about it being your grandmother's birthday. I think she definitely wanted him there with her.

I'm also grateful that you shared this with us. Sure, we all love to read about fabulous weekends or new furniture people bought but, the truth is, this is life. We have our good days and our bad days and I think reading about other people's trials makes us all even closer. My thoughts & prayers go out to you and your family!!

Bonnie said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I experienced the same thing in December when my grandfather (my dad's dad) passed away. He was not sick, and he had been healthy for his entire life. All of a sudden, he was in the hospital in a coma from a bad stroke. This happened five months after my grandmother (my mom's mom) passed away. It was a horrible time, and it was a bad one-two punch with the two deaths in such close time proximity.

I am so, so, so sorry for you and your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Dana Fox said...

aw erica, so sorry for your loss. i just recently lost my grandma a couple months ago and i still haven't fully dealt with it. stay positive!
xo dana
thewonderforest.com

angie on maui said...

Oh, Erica...I'm so sorry. :( I'm thinking of your family and sending good thoughts to all of you from across the ocean.

I'm just trying to think that maybe my grandmother didn't want to spend her birthday alone in heaven.

This gave me goosebumps. I love your positivity and ability to see the beauty through the pain. I think you're absolutely right about this one; they're together again and celebrating big. :)

Much love to you, sweets.

xo

Anonymous said...

Look @ all this love you have. I am so sorry for your loss but I think your right. Your grandmother wanted your grandpa next to her on her birthday. *sending hugs your way*

Jennifer Rod said...

Im sorry about your grandfather, but that thought of him going on your grandmother's birthday seems so comforting...

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons said...

the same thing happened with my grammy =( Just a random fall and then all these problems popped up and she was gone. I wish we could have said goodbye to them =( I'm so sorry love

Trish said...

I'm sorry for your lost - my prayers are with you and your family. I <3 your line: my grandmother didn't want to spend her birthday alone in heaven...that is powerful.

Rissy said...

xoxoxo girl! I am so so sorry! Hope your family can spend lots of time together through the next few days!

can't wait to hear about jury duty haha AND Super psyched for u that you saw your true love again haha

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Keep your chin up girly... time will help heal.

I had jury duty at one point and I was really hoping to get put on a murder case; instead I was asked a few questions then told I was dismissed. Perhaps it was a blessing in disguise?

Alison Kinsey said...

oh my gosh that's so so sad hun, i'm sorry to hear about your grandpa :( that's tough.
hang in there.

Lindsay said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather :( at least he's now back with your grandmother again - I'm sure they're both looking out for you now!

xoxo

Jury duty is no fun. Hopefully there won't be any cases that need to go to trial and you can be out of there quickly. I also hope that you don't have to go to Fall River for it - ick. Haha

Hollie Ann said...

i'm so so sorry for your loss! your little confession about munchies and lil wayne made me smile. if you need a kind word...email me!

Ashley said...

hey beautiful - so sad to heaer about your grandpa :( I'm really sorry. and honestly, i know there's not a ton i can say to "make it better" but just know i'm sending lots of love your way today.

just emailed you and i can't wait to see all these amazing forida pics! and possibly some lil wayne munchy pics.

hope you have a great day lovey!

XO, A

Tonya Hunter said...

I pray that we all can live a life that long! Even though we never want to see our friends and loved ones go..its not the end, we will see them again. Stay strong. Prayers for you and your family. Good luck with the job search! Working is SO overrated. :p I think you need to visit bakerella.com, perhaps you can find something to lift your spirits~

Raquel said...

Oh no i'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa :( Keeping you in my prayers!

Diana Doyle said...

Sending a hug to you...sorry to hear about your grandpa passing.

I hope your many photos and memories of times you spent with him can bring you comfort in the coming days.

Look for the little signs, I bet he's around.
love
Diana x

Rhiannon Bosse said...

I am so sorry gorgeous :( Thinking of you xo

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss!

xo lamb loves

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about the loss of your grandfather. It's awful to just lose someone randomly one day. The same thing happened to me with my grandpa a year and a half ago and it still makes me cry. I hope it gets easier for you and your family is in my prayers.

Megan said...

oh gosh doll i am so so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandpa. sending tons of virtual hugs your way.

Raven said...

So sorry to hear that Erica! However, now he is reunited with his wife, which is always a good thing :)

I have ALWAYS wanted to be called for jury duty. It is my dream. I have never been summoned, and I am totally bummed about that. Why won't they ask me???

You had better show and share your trip to Florida with us.

I went to Dave Mathews with my mom when I was 5 months pregnant, and not only did I get high from all the pot being smoked, but my BABY got high inside of me, it was THAT strong. Then I puked the whole way home, WHILE I was driving.

Puking and driving is not easy to do, btw.

Kristin said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa. My thoughts are with you and your family!

Courtney B said...

Oooh Erica I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa! I have no doubt that he is reunited with your grandma in heaven but losing someone you love is so sad :( Definitely praying for your family!