For example, I saw an episode where a deaf teenager went to apply for a job at a restaurant. The manager told her he would never hire a deaf person so she shouldn't bother applying, etc etc. Both were actors, but the point was to see if the ordinary people intervened and stood up for the girl.
It's a very powerful show! And surprising to see that not many people intervene. Some walk out, some agree with the actors, but then there are those who DO intervene. I'm envious of those people, because I really don't know if I could say something even though I'd 100% want to.
I had a moment like this yesterday at the gym. Our gym has two sections of machines that are used for full body training, meaning you go from one machine to the next and do one set on each machine. Well, sometimes people get cranky if they see someone doing more than one set on a machine, so they'll HOVER over them until they get off.
So Yesterday I saw a bitchy woman walk up to a machine that a teenage boy was on. He was doing more than one set, but the gym was EMPTY. It looked like she was ready to rip him a new one, so what did I do? I paused my iPod and kept my headphones in so I could creep.
(I'm creepin)
Bitchy woman- excuse me, you cant do more than one set on these, Do you see me waiting
Teenager- okay I just have a few more reps
Bitchy woman- yes but clearly I am waiting..you need to get off right now
Teenager continues to do his reps
Bitchy woman- GET OFF THE MACHINE
Teenagers friend comes and gets him
I literally just glared at the woman and wanted to say something to her along the lines of this:
Excuse me BITCH, if you got the stick out of your ass and turned around, you'd
see that another exact same machine is empty. We all pay the same membership
so we should all get to do as we please. Bitch Face.
But I didn't! I didn't say a word, and instead I just gave her bitchy looks. I know this doesn't sound like a very serious situation, but I felt bad for the kid and wish I would have stuck up for him. It kills me now knowing I just let her yell at him in front of everyone.
Have you guys ever stepped in and said something in a situation you overheard?







23 comments:
OK and I lurve your blog as well. I would have told that woman that all the reps in the world wont make her less of a bitch LOL
I'm so with you! Most of the times I don't say something bc when I do I feel like a psycho after. I did tell one sales lady to help this kid who came in with money standing at the counter though. When people don't help me at businesses I get really irritated! I wish I stuck up for people more often though :)
Okay, now you got me interested in this show. What network does it come on? Sounds pretty interesting! Loved your "creepin" face. Too funny! I probably would have done the same thing...sometimes you don't wanna butt in, but have too! Can't say I've ever butted into a situation I overhead though.
First off, I love that show!! I always forget it comes on though :/ And I'm always listening to other peoples conversations and basically "creepin" haha! Have I stepped in and said something - a couple of times and .. I ended up feeling pretty good about it.. but then after words I'm always like "I should of said it this way or said something else" haha. But it rarely happens....
i love that show! I don't think I've ever stepped into a crazy situation.
I did have my boyfriends dad step in for me once at my job, I got into it with a customer and he starting cursing me out, so my boyfriends dad went off!
Oh my gah, I love that show!
I'd love to think I'd be brave enough to step in, but I feel like even if I did I would sound dumb because the right words wouldnt come out!
Hahaha! I haven't seen the show but sometimes I'm good at minding my own business, and sometimes I'm not so good at it. Depending on my week, I may have said something haha. It's weird, sometimes I surprise myself with how blunt I am and other times I just keep my mouth shut.
Whatevs! TGIFFFFFFF! I LOVE YOU LOVER FACE!
ah i am the same way... sometimes i WANT to say something but never do... I always think of what i could have said after the fact too. i guess my brain doesn't process negative people very quickly!
xo dana
thewonderforest.com
love you & your blog. i am usually pretty shy so i dont step in, but i always end up regretting it too
I always end up regretting not sticking up for people!! But when the situation comes, i never do anything. Like i cant get myself to do or say anything lol
I love that show! It is really sad though when people don't help...especially when it's CRAZY insane situations!
haha I love your creeper status! I was totally doing that at the gym yesterday- headphones in, but turned all the way down cause I was creeping on some guy. Not ashamed.
First of all, I heart that show yet I never seem to catch it on TV then forget about it :/
Second, I would've totally said something to that lady! Especially if I was that teenage boy! Then again, I'm a very confrontational person and don't take shit from anyone, haha.
ugh! i have moments like this ALL the time! seriously. now that i'm in california, theres a lot of hella rude people for real. and that sounds like a generalization but i had some bitchface lady today telling me that i was getting sexy in my car. truth is, i was in my car at the THRIFT STORE buttoning UP my shirt and pulling UP my undershirt because I didn't wanna show my cleavage. but she thought i was unbuttoning it is what she said. but this time i said NO I WASNT! but she laughed and kept going. biiaaaattch!
lol. i love coming and visiting your blog because i always have something to say
I saw an episode of that show where an actor was playing a young gay man coming out of the closet to his mom/dad in a coffee shop (the skit only had one parent at a time). The actor playing the parent overreacted and started saying all of these awful things to him. The reactions of one of the woman who intervened had me in tears. The fact that a complete stranger could stand up to somebody like that, especially on an issue that really runs deep for some, is really wonderful.
On a side note, that woman at the gym sounds CRAZY. People need to pick and choose their battles.
omg erica you've caused me to do deep thinking and it's saturday morning! haha i probably would have done the same - been a silent creeper. but seriously, what a bitch! like she's ready so the kid has to get off "now." grrr what a gym-whore. i'm totally going to add this show to my list of "must watches."
XOXO. have a great saturday lovebug!!
I love watching that show! It definitely makes you think. I always want to say that I would stick up for someone, but sadly I don't think I'm brave enough to say anything. That's pathetic, but I'm only being honest! Haha
This post cracked me up! You are hilarious! I love the "Quit your bitchin'" picture!
I feel the SAME way!!! I feel like I am always seeing things where I want to say something and intervene, but I just freeze up and can't. I am so not confrontational.
At least you gave her some mean looks!
I havent really been in a situation like that. If I were in your situation I def would have done some eye rolls and mean looks too...if I was feeling up to it...I might have given her a taste of her own medicine and stood by the machine and waited and tap my foot, the whole shebang haha :o)
I've stepped up a couple of times...in minor situations (similar to your gym sitch) but I always end up sounding like an idiot and think of the perfect things to say after the fact.
I love that show! I don't know what I'd do, I always wonder. I'd like to think I'd stand up for people like with the shiz they do on that show. But with what happened at the gym, I don't know what I'd do! I probably would have done what you did then felt really bad.
what a b! i probably wouldn't have said anything either. i'm pretty good at giving dirty looks instead, haha. i have seen that show and it's so good! i need to find out when it's on around here.
Post a Comment