PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

7.06.2011

Girls, why do we do this? Am I the only one?

Confession: When Kurt and I started dating 4 years ago, and he'd sleep over my dorm room, (scandalous!) I'd get out of bed before him, and put on some makeup or something to make it look like I woke up looking like a smokin' hot goddess. 
 

I had a sorta epiphany yesterday when I went to go put on makeup to go to the beach. I was mid-mascara when I was like, why the HELL am I putting on makeup to go to the beach...ALONE for that matter?! I had no one to impress at the beach. Not even the 15 year old guidos drinking bitch drinks.

Okay okay, so I still went on and continued applying makeup. But it got me thinking...


Last week, Kurt and I's water tank wasn't working so we had to call a guy to come and fix it. He called me and said he'd be here in 10 minutes to fix it. I was still in my pink sweatpants that has a hole in the butt, and one of Kurt's white tees. I bolted off the couch and changed into shorts and a shirt, brushed my hair, and made myself look presentable as if I was expecting to get lucky with the water heater guy (he was about 70...not my cup of tea!)

I can't tell you how many times I've been getting ready, putting on makeup and doing my hair, when Kurt peeks his little head in the room and asks why I am putting "that stuff" on my face, or says my hair looks fine (when it really looks like i've been in 1000 degree heat just frizzing up). I usually get annoyed and say something like "because I just DO! otherwise I'll look like a sloth who sits on her ass all day eating food and becoming a fatty bo batty pants!"

I don't know if its just that guys don't understand, or if girls are just weird like that. While I do enjoy those days where I don't put on makeup or do my hair, sometimes I just like to so that people don't judge me!

Do you ever find yourself doing this? Getting "ready" for pointless reasons? I think it's just part of being a girl!
Photobucket

29 comments:

Ashley said...

Ummmmm...yes! I do this all the time! Sometimes, I just touch up my makeup to go to the gym! Hey, don't judge me..hot guys go there! haha.

Sabrina Says Blog said...

I AGREE 100%!

I think getting ready for the day and putting on make up and doing my hair makes me feel like I've accomplished something. no matter how pathetic it sounds.

If I don't make myself look presentable I feel like a lazy piece of crap and I won't get anything done all day!

Sabrina Says

ty said...

Shit yes. I totally do this. I'll always hate on those girls at the gym that walk at 2.0 on the treadmill with a full face, but damn. They look good.

Pretty sure I dressed cute for the cable guy. For no reason other than I didn't want him to think I was an asshole without a job who sits and reads all day without showering.

I am, but that's not the point.

Ashley Lynn said...

Totally agree! When I was home from college for the summer I used to put makeup on right before my parents got home from work so they didn't think I sat home all day and watched tv. Usually on the weekends now I don't wear makeup unless im going out. But I will admit I have my "this is my face without makeup" makeup. You know like a little foundation, blush and mascara but you tell people you don't have any on. Hahaha

Chelsea said...

Wow, story of my life! Yesterday I had to take my husband to work since his car isn't working so I told him to wake me up early so I could shower. Of course, he didn't wake me up until ten mins before we had to leave so I got all mad, brushed my hair, threw some powder on, and jeans and a t-shirt even though I would ONLY be in my car.

Today, pest control is supposed to be stopping by (I have no idea what time) so I made sure that I was up early, showered, make-up on, hair done, and not sitting around in sweats. Glad to know I'm not the only one!! :)

Jenna @ LaFemmeLaFanciful.com said...

I do the same things!! Just this morning, I had to force myself not to take a shower/get ready because I was just going to the PARK with my DOG where people sweat and workout and don't expect to look perfect. It's crazy that I had to convince myself not to get all fixed up for walking my dog.

One of my biggest insecurities is my skin. I have the occasional breakout, and I am terrified of people seeing me sans concealer and/or foundation. I go absolutely no where without a little something on my face.

Great post!!! :)

Alice' M. said...

you are so not the only one. the other day I was putting mascara on and then i remembered I was only going to the gym. that is shameful!

Candace said...

I do this all of the time. My husband hates make up. But I cannot live with out it. But I'm working on it.

Amanda said...

Hahaha. Oh Erica! I am a no-fuss, no-make up girl. If you can't love me like this, you don't deserve me is my motto. But then again, I was never one to put on make up and fuss about how I looked (I still don't wear makeup to work, fail?). You're beautiful, you don't need the makeup :)

choose to be happy blog said...

I like this post!
When Austin and I first starting dating (4 years ago too. we are twins!) I always would get “dressed up” when I would go over to hang out… ie wearing normal clothes or dresses. He said you don’t always have to dress up! So in an effort to not dress up I wore shorts and a cotten tee shirt the next night. He was so proud of me. but the SECRET? I totally went out and bought them that same day. Hehe :)

Of course, I am fine to wear no make up and whatever around him, but I still tend to lean the other way. :)

Ashley said...

you are amazing for this post....well and about 5,000 other reasons! i totally do this all the time...makeup for the gym, for the walmart, for the man coming to change my light bulb.


except for sundays...sunday are officialy "no shower sundays" and on that day, you will find me looking like a frizzy sloth! :)....at least until I find a man - then I might make an exception!

The Michelle Show said...

Haha I am the queen of doing this! I only ever shower at night and I notoriously put on mascara after the shower every time. Even if im alone. Even if im going to bed 20 minutes later. I also wear mascara, gloss and sometimes powder to the gym (or beach, or whatever).
I don't wear a TON of makeup to begin with but I ALWAYS have some. And I almost always do my hair.

Thankfully my boyfriend loves that I am "a doll" and never questions me. If he ever does, I may have to hurt him..

Jill said...

It's def. a girl thing. I wear makeup to work even though there is no one to impress and I'm the youngest one here lol.
I used to put on makeup to go see my BF in college when we first started dating even if I was just going to say goodnight before bed...then i realized that was stupid and he should love me no matter what I look like.

Jen said...

This actually made me laugh out loud cause I can relate SO MUCH. I can't go anywhere without putting at least some makeup on. It's really bad actually. And if someone is coming over to say, hook up the cable, I need to put that makeup on too. Like that person actually matters or something- lol! And it's especially ironic cause the guy is always like, 'you look fine with no makeup' or says they can't see a difference... I personally think he's blind when he says that.

Raquel said...

haha omg this is so true! I find myself doing that all the time. My boyfriend constantly questions me about it lol. Hes like..why are you putting on make up and doing your hair and making sure your shirt is staright?? Is there someone you are trying to impress or something...lol.

Rissy said...

I wore no make up to work at VS one day and was asked "are you sick?" immediately upon entering. so yea. make-up happens everyday. Well everyday I see other humans who are not family.

4 years of dating, and I can count on one hand the number of times Nick saw me with no make-up. #Iamshallow

needless to say, I feel ya

Carolyn said...

I totally do this! LOL

Abby said...

ha, that is hilarious, definitely a girl's thing. I do that too!

ashley said...

It's probably a good thing you changed out of your pants with the hole in the butt. hahaha :)

Pretty sure it's a girl thing.

tara said...

yup. i totally do this too! i will not go anywhere without mascara!

Dana Fox said...

oh hi.. you just totally described me haha. i cannot go a day without my makeup... it's not even really like a self-conscious thing either, it's just that it's a ME thing. I totally do not feel like myself without 'de-slothing' (new word) haha. my fiance is the only person who ever gets to see me without any makeup on. yay for unconditional love! lmao

but you're right, boys totally do not get it. I'll even throw on some sunglasses if the mail man shows up at my door before i'm ready!

xo dana
thewonderforest.com

Leslie said...

I totally do this!! It just makes you feel a little bit better when you're looking slobbish!

Sarah Grecco said...

Um.....yes! ALL THE TIME! I always use the excuse that it is for sun protection....really I am just vein....haha!

Great post!

xo,
Sarah
Get Up & Go

Anonymous said...

I totally agree! I am always getting ready and putting my "face" on for no reason at all really. I'm off for the summer cause I work in a school, I guess I'm afraid if a neighbor stops by or something haha I would hate for them not to recognize me!

www.kirstenjoywilson.com

Megan said...

I am definitely like that, but not with the husband anymore. Haha. He gets to see me in ALL my natural glory.

Whitney @ EHFAR said...

i find myself doing this all the time!

westcoastsoul said...

Haha totally! My bf hates makeup; he says he hates waiting for me to put it on and then I have to take it off :P

AllyValdez said...

hahaaha. maybe im still in my yoga pants and glasses. I even took an afternoon nap today. not getting ready is sometimes really refreshing!

im your newest follower:) love your blog.

xoxo
allymullin.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

haha, I used to never use the bathroom at my ex's house... I don't know why?! I used it maybe a total of three times in the two years we were on and off. Seriously, the oddest things ever! :)