PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

2.07.2011

Sometimes being skinny sucks!

Okay, I know what you’re all thinking, but hear me out!

Let’s take last night as a prime example!

SUPERBOWL!  Go Packers! (my poor babies, The Patriots, decided to blow their chance this year at the superbowl so I had to choose one team!)

My friend had a wicked fun party last night for the game!! I started snacking/eating around 4:00 p.m. and didn’t really stop until about 10:00 p.m. I ate pizza, guacamole, chips, M&Ms, chili, cupcakes, jello shots, and so many more snacks I don’t even know. So my boyfriend offered me a bite of his cupcake later in the night and I simply said “ugh I’m so full!” So then someone goes, “Erica, it’s a bite … it’s only like 20 calories it’s not gonna kill you..HAHAHA.” and then everyone laughed with her!


Things like this make me SO MAD! I’m 5’6 and about 115 pounds. I am not just skin and bones like most think. I have muscles. I did gymnastics, volleyball, golf, soccer, basketball, etc and I work out regularly. What the hell is wrong with the fact that I’m 115 pounds and healthy? People look at me and think that if I’m full, I’m worried about calories or fat or something. No people … I’M ACTUALLY FULL! 


I’ve been struggling with this my entire life! Okay, I guess I can’t really call it a struggle. I know that I’m healthy. I know that I work out. I know that I don’t go throw up after every meal. It just makes me mad that the issues with women and their bodies are never going to die down. If we weigh too much, people make fun of us to our face or behind our back about eating. If we are skinny, people think we’re anorexic and get mad if we say we are full. I hate to break it to you, BUT… everyone in the world has fat days. I have fat days where I feel soo bloated and gross and blahhh!

When are we going to stop judging what we and other girls look like!? I don’t judge people. I had my “freshman 15” period for a few months. I’ve felt like I had a gigantic muffin top because my pants were tight. I’ve felt like crap after eating an entire pizza. I’ve also felt like people stare at me while I run on the treadmill in little workout shorts. I’ve had grocery checkout people roll their eyes at me when they look at me ringing up lettuce, apples, cereal, granola bars, etc. Oh God forbid this little skinny girl buys Doritos or donuts. Sorry, LADY, for all you know, I'm going to shove my face with Taco Bell on my way home from the store. Suck it!


It plain old sucks and I'm offended. And I’m sorry if this sounds like a rant and/or me sounding like a lil bitch! But I am trying to get across to some people; it’s okay to be super skinny..it’s okay to be overweight. If you’re happy with your life and the way you live, then that’s amazing for you. Don’t bring other people down if you don’t like the way they look! It’s your life and you are in charge of it and you can change or alter your lifestyle.

This was just something that was bothering me lately! And I want to know if any of you guys ever feel this way or tell me if I sound like a brat! Hahah I am so happy with my life and how I live it. I don’t have time to be brought down by people based on the way they perceive me. Well I say to them…Get to know me, bitches..don’t automatically assume something!!


I love all you bloggies. You’ve all inspired me to come out and say something that truly, utterly bothers me. I’ve read some of your blogs where you’ve been going through things; breakups, hardships, everything. I know this isn’t a huge issue to most of you, but it is something that’s always bothered me and frankly, it just makes me feel like absolute CRAP to the point where I've cried over how cruel some people are! Gahh!!

Tell me I'm not a looney! 
xoxox Enjoy your Monday!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not a looney!! When I was younger I used to weigh a lot less, not because I didn't eat but because I was in all kinds of sports. People would always comment on how thin I was. I even had a girl comment that I was an anorexic. Hmmm.. not such a good feeling. When I was in college I gained weight. I actually gained quite a bit (a lot) of weight. And thats when people started commenting on how I wasn't working out etc... Soooo be happy with the way you are. There's nothing else you can do. I've been steadily losing weight for about a year and it's not because I'm starving myself it's because I've become a lot healthier then I was in college. And I like myself BETTER that way!! Soooo sorry for the long post, but it hit a nerve :) I'm your newest follower. Love your blog!

Lady Ohlala said...

Hi, new reader here, in case this can cheer you up a little :) I'm not as skinny as you are, but I am quite tall (6'1) so I know how it feels to physically stand out...

3 things I learnt:
a)everytime someone brings a person down, this someone is just showing one of his own insecurities (=jealous little bugger),
b)The cool thing is that when someone makes a nasty comments, you can defo cross him out of your socializing list (more time for the real interesting people!)
c) Most of those who make nasty jokes about you being skinny, would sell their soul to have your good genes! (shopping when skinny is heaven!) ;)

A wide smile is the best answer!

Looking forward to read more of your posts!

Unknown said...

OK so I am 5'7" and am about 125 -- I have a lot of muscle but it's all compact muscle and a lot of times I tend to look slight lol. I have experienced very similar behaviors as you have. I have been told that I look like I need to eat a sandwich/ice cream/burger etc. This is kind of hurtful because I feel like I look pretty healthy -- not only in my body but my face and hair also. Those 2 things say a lot about how healthy you are or aren't. I have addressed these issues with a few people and they had NO idea that what they were saying was offending me.
I explained that I work to make sure I look good and feel good and like you, I have my fat days. Just because i'm smaller doesn't mean I don't feel bad about myself every once in a while.
Keep your head up pretty lady -- you look great =)

JMB said...

I hate you SOOO MUCH right now( totally joking but I still want to say it hahahaha)........I am 5'5 - you look smaller and shorter than me too!! BOOOO ERRR-UCA. Girrrlfriend do not worry about it , although I have been there and done that and got the t-shirt with people and their comments about my eating ...I was also 15lbs lighter than I am right now haha. But I felt like they all tried to feeed me. I mean I ATE I was just running alot...ALOT, as in 4-5 miles every day that ended in Y. There is nothing wrong with that at all......AT ALL.

Tell 'em like it is....in a classy way :)
Always keep it classy haha.

I feel like I might have helped to tell you that you need to express yourself through Blogger....if not? Then shutup and let me think it anyhoo. Twiggy hahaha

Melissa: Write it in Lipstick said...

I'm sorry about that. I had a friend who was so self conscious about how thin she was and people didnt understand because you think being thin is a good thing. But not when people dont understand and make fun. You deserve to rant.

P!nky said...

Hey Erica, I'm a new follower (although I've been lurking over your site for awhile, soooo much fun to read). Anyway, guuurrrrrrrl I FEEL YOU! I am 5'3", 115, sports nut who plays soccer, tennis, and works out. And ANYTIME I talk about 'losing a few pounds' 'getting more fit' or 'toning up' I am met with rolling of eyes, evil stars and comments of 'what, you are so ridiculous you don't need to lose weight, how does that make me look, blah blah blah!'

And just like you I HATE IT! Just because I have a high standard for my health doesn't mean I'm judging you or asking you for your opinion. I eat all the time, just small portions so come on people....PAHLEEEEEEEZE get off my back.

I just read what I wrote and now I realize I might be one of those girls your friends are talking about, hahah! The fact that you did gymnastics should tell people 'HELLO, I know how to take care of my body :)!'

I love your blog, keep up the fun posts! :)

Bre said...

Well, I would love to hate you because I am also 5'6", but I weigh 155 lbs. However, I also have come to terms with the fact that everyone is built differently. "Thin" is a relative term. When I was in high school, I was 125lbs. I thought I was getting up there when I hit 135 after high school, and 11 years later, I am usually anywhere from 145-155lbs. To someone who is 250lbs, I'm a skinny bitch, but put me next to you and I am going to feel like a whale. People's bodies are so different that it really has to be about you staying true to yourself and knowing what is healthy for you. If you are eating right (with a few cheat days mixed in) and staying active, you are doing you and that's all that matters. People are going to judge you and call you out because they feel bad about themselves. Hate on haters, Im'ma do me!

Jillian said...

Back in my skinny days (before kids:)that happened to me too!!

Megan said...

i used to get made fun of in middle school for having an eating disorder because I was so thin. I still get people to this day accusing me of that ( i write this after i just downed a quarter pounder and fries) its called genetics. give it up. and stop making me feel awkward in public situations by saying i am "scarily below the normal weight for my height"

end.

oh hey! thanks for the sweet comment of my blog and following!!! xxx

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you! People should just concentrate on themselves, instead of trying to make people feel bad about themselves! I think you look fine! :)

The Brunette Suburbanite said...

As long as you know you're healthy, that's all that matters. Who cares what other people think. =)

Ashley said...

Girl. I cannot yell AMEN loud enough! Goodness. I recently started trying to watch what I eat a little more. I mentioned this at work one day during lunch and someone looked at me like I was a crazy person. I'm not saying that I want to lose all sorts of weight, BUT, I want my pants to fit me the right way again. I refuse to go buy all new pants, because of a few pounds. I'll just watch what I eat and eat a little more healthy. If I want to do this, it's for ME. Noone else. Some women just need to feel better about themselves. This is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves! I was asked constantly in high school if I had an eating disorder. I've gained quite a bit since, but still understand exactly where you are coming from. You are not looney.

Ashley said...

loved this post lady! i'm not as tiny as you but i'v had the "too skinny" comments before too and they suck. you have a beautiful figure and i'm so glad you don't let what others say bring you down. good for you for speaking your mind! :)

Alisha said...

Don't fret friend! You are beautiful! Some people are just too focused on other people because they are dissatisfied with their self worth or body…

I did have a slight struggle in middle school with anorexia, and it's hard when you're not happy with your body. And other people sometimes don't help the situation. But when you do become happy in your life, with your body, with your surroundings, etc, then you become truly happy!! :)

Great post love! <3<3

.:Chelsey:. said...

Simply, AMEN!

Rissy said...

I am so so so happy to have found your blog! This post is def. something I think we can all relate to.

My friends ALWAYS get angry with me if I ever talk about weight or anything of that nature. I am not super skinny... I am not fat. I danced my whole life and now that I am finished, my body has definitely changed. Sometimes I need to mention that... it's not the end of the world.

My best friend has a pretty serious eating disorder and has for a long time... it is hard to see her behavior, and I guess I can sometimes be hyper-vigilant. I know I need to just let it go....

Anywho...you are hawt and I love your blog so far.
Now following!

Meri said...

I hear ya sista- the ridiculous part is, if you do happen to be small, then you DO often get full faster and probably eat smaller meals, hence the vicious cycle of people doing what I call "eating commentary." I think it usually comes from people being self concsious about their own eating and taking it out where they can.

Glad I found your blog, I feel like I get you :)
I"m having a giveaway too, btw- come check it out.
Meri
merigoesround.blogspot.com

Meredith! said...

I know what you mean! i've always been small too and I always got comments in school about wearing "tiny shorts" and "short skirts" I always felt like i was made an example of because I was small.. I would walk by people saying things like "the only reason she gets away with that is because shes skinny!" >:O
whatever, as long as you're healthy you're beautiful! don't let it get you down! =)

Diana Doyle said...

Erica,

This post I could've written ha! I've had these sort of comments my whole life.

I'm 109 pounds and 166cm tall(not sure what that is in inches...maybe 5-7) anyway, at school I was called lucky legs, pea dee, chicken legs and all sorts of things that I hated too.

Now, I've had 2 kids and still weigh the same as high school. I feel blessed I am alive and that I have a healthy body, no matter what the shape or size....

I also think people that are overweight wouldn't like it if we skinny girls commented on their 'size'. I think people just like to put others down now and again.

I also got the same sort of comment at a superbowl party on Sunday. Now, I laugh them off and quietly think how grateful I am that I don't have a weight issue.

My gorgeous mum used to say to me "Go look at yourself in the mirror and smile" so after you've read this, go into your bathroom and look in the mirror at unique YOU and smile! :)


Oh and BTW, I think you look Fabulous!

love Diana x

Jill said...

Let it out girl! You look great.
I used to be super skinny also growing up. I'm 5'9" so I always looked lanky and have super long legs. I have become a bit more curvacious since graduating college but most of my friends still call me skinny with a little junk in the trunk lol. As long as u are happy and healthy, that is all tha tmatters. I hate people saying I am tall all the time.

Megan said...

This is a beautiful post! I'm definitely not super skinny, but I can imagine how annoying it must be for people to treat you like that, simply because you are a certain size. I think you're beautiful!