PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

8.17.2011

Who says pole dancers aren't athletes!?

I tweeted this video a few weeks ago but had to share once more because I was doing some eavesdropping at the gym yesterday (who doesn't!)

A girl was lifting weights next to me and she was FIT! Oh my God. Ripped abs, perfect toned arms, slender legs...basically just an amazing body. She was with a guy who appeared to be training her...he was just as buff! I was creeping their conversation and she was saying she was nervous for her pole dancing competition  this weekend.


I watched her workout INTENSELY...and even stole a few of her moves..shhh! But it got me thinking. I grew up doing gymnastics and some cheerleading, where people would constantly say "that's not a sport," or "you just yell and scream and dress slutty...you're not athletic" WHOA PEOPLE...you try lifting your leg over your head without breaking your hoo-ha!

I'm not saying pole-dancing is a sport (is it??), but these girls are athletic! This video is ahhhh-mazing! And I am jealous. I want to learn to do this! At 1:05-1:08 I had no words.


My college roomies and I had a stripper pole our senior year. Yeah. We got jiggy with it! Not nearly as good as these chicks!

Oyy

Happy Humpday! I'll be on the road for most of Thursday heading to Ohio, but I might just do a lil vloggy vloggy for ya! ;-)

Photobucket

33 comments:

Stephanie and Such said...

Hahah Get it girlllll!

I know, I never used to think Cheerleading was a sport. But then I tried it, and it's more of a sport than anything I know! And pole dancing? Umm yeah that takes talent! There is no way I could EVER do that.

Hilary @ Hilabeans said...

haha, I can totally relate. I grew up cheering, and of course everyone never gave the cheerleaders any credit because they said we didn't do anything, etc. But it takes muscle to lift girls above your head! And stretching to do those jumps and everything, it takes a lot of effort! I'm loving your blog :)

Jennifer said...

I totally wish I could do the stuff pole dancers can. It's crazy!

Gentri said...

I've danced my entire life- ballet and jazz etc, not pole, and I can tell you- we dancers are some of the most athletic people ever!

Raquel said...

Damn those girls got some skiiiiiills! I wish i could do that!

Caitlin said...

I cheered too and always hated when people would say it wasn't a sport. Um hello, you try lifting people into the air.. not as easy as it looks!
And these pole dancers.. there is no way I could ever move like that. Those splits? I don't even have words. So maybe we should consider it a sport.

Anonymous said...

wow!!! That is amazing... I really wish i could do that! Geez!

Megan said...

OMW! I asked my boyfriend if I could go for stripper classes or pole dancing classes and he's like "Why the hell would you like to do that? Where would you use it?" And I said I'll do shit like this! hahaha

Jenna @ LaFemmeLaFanciful.com said...

I have always thought pole dancers were athletic too!!! I know I sure couldn't do move like that!

PS love your pink pole. Adorable. I don't think I've ever described a stripper pole as such.

Alison Kinsey said...

i love pole dancing!! i've taken lessons before, and honestly, it's WAY harder than it looks! the girls make it look easy on film! i never learned how to go upside down or anything crazy, just a few of the basic 'seated' spins, but wow. who knew there was so much technique to it! your hands, ankles, legs, all have to go a certain way for it to be 'right' lol

westcoastsoul said...

I did a pole dancing class for my bff's classe and it is freaking hard! I can totally see how it would be a great workout.

Lauren said...

Okay, wait, there are competitions for pole dancing?? WHY am I working an office job again?

Oh yeah, probably because I would somehow fatally wound myself on a pole. And, while I'm anxious for my job title to change now, I'd be even more so if I were a professional pole dancer.

MaviDeniz said...

I wish I knew how to pole dance! it's definitely not as easy as it looks. My friend has one installed in his back yard and you definitely need some strong upper body strength to do anything on there. I've watched quite a few youtube vids of it and its one of those things that just takes a lot of practice.

Xo

Bre said...

Amazing!! I am hearing more and more about these competitions and classes. I bet it gets you ripped, look at all of the strength and stability required!

So shay said...

You aren't going to believe this, but last year two of my co-workers talked me into going to a pole-dancing class here in Austin. I for sure thought, "Oh my gosh...what would my Mother think!?" Then I sucked it up, went, and OHHH my gosh. It was sooooo much harder than it looks. I have like, ZERO arm strength, and so basically I just went in circles, hysterically laughing and almost peeing my pants. Haha! It was so much fun! Then these REAL stripper ladies came in, gave us dirtyyyyy looks because we were all up on "their poles" haha. They worked at a local strip club down the street. I was like, "No worries, they're all yours ladies!"

Bahaha. It was fun though. Good work-out AND I was a cheerleader in junior high and I DO think it is a sport. :)

Muah!

Lauren Nicole said...

i was a cheerleader, for school and competitively, for five years. we had arguments with the dance team for all five years whether cheer and dance were sports.. it came down to deciding cheerleading was a sport -- due to the athleticism it took to stunt and tumble. dance, on the other hand was determined to be an art, not a sport -- which is why dance classes are offered at art schools. makes sense.

and that video is AH-MAAAA-ZING.
i have to try that!!! i'm sure i'll bust my ass, or my face, but it will be worth it.

looking up places locally as we speak. woohoo!!

xoxo

Ramblin' Blonde said...

Damn. makes me want to take a class or something lol. I'm hosting a giveaway check it out!

Dana Fox said...

i totally agree.. pole dancing takes some serious talent! i witnessed some AMAZING girls once and would never even be able to attempt what they did. Much like the ones in your video! Only faster haha and choreographed like dances! crazy!
xo dana
thewonderforest.com

Amber said...

That video was unbelievable. You HAVE to be in great shape to be able to support your body weight like that.

Bonnie said...

HOLY.EFF.
I have always thought that pole dancers had some amazing athletic skills. Not the pole dancers that you see in normal strip clubs. Ew. But these women. Like, professional pole dancers. They have sick bodies.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Whim Wham Life said...

This just might be the magical workout I need to lose the baby bump in a few months:-) There is a MALE pole dancer on America's Got Talent this season. Kinda weird, but amazing! xoxo

Ashley said...

hmmmm....WOW! I need some skills like that! Those girls got some skills! What did Kurt say about this video? Did he watch it?? haha.

Oh, and cheerleading is a sport! I did it in middle school :)

Lindsay said...

Holy crap those girls are STRONG. Have you ever taken pole dancing lessons? It's a lot of fun!

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons said...

i want to be that strong someday ;)

and to dance with you!!!!!!! come partay in NC with me! its legit. i swear. wilmington is hoppin'

Unknown said...

pole dancing is freakin hard!
i took a six week course last year and it was exhausting. Such a workout - you need a super strong core and crazy upper body strength! very difficult.
:)
xx
p.s. i cant stand it when people say cheerleading isnt a sport!

Kristin said...

Hahahahaha! pole dancing may not be a sport but it is is WORK.OUT! Holy smokes! I love that you're stealing the moves of the professional pole dancer. :)

The Michelle Show said...

Ah I took a class ONCE and was so extremely sore ooh my gosh.

choose to be happy blog said...

i hope this new job of yours involves a pole. because that would just make your stories even MORE entertaining.

i miss you!. i don't know why. but i do

Ashley said...

WHOA! I say we get engaged at the same time, sign up for pole dancing lessons and become the best wives EVER..wink wink!

and i'm with chelsea....i miiiiisssssssss you!

Michelle said...

LOL pole dancing requires skill! It's definitely a work out! I have the Flirty Girl Fitness DVDs LOL! Definitely a good workout, a fun time, and well can be useful in other areas! LMAO

love you! xoxo

Krisha said...

Oh. My. GOSH!!! I literally just had to pick my jaw up off the floor. A-MAZING!!! I'm totally showing that video to everyone.

She Speaks said...

I would just like to say that I took a pole dancing class once, and was sore for a week. Seriously- it hurt to hold a pencil. We won't even get into the pole burn.

Sabrina Says Blog said...

I am watching the pole dancing video right now and I am at work.... good choice? hmmmm I just hope my boss doesn't walk by!!

(He might get a little excited!)

Sabrina Says