PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

7.16.2013

Today--Sad Yet Special

Today is a sad yet special day. 
Today would have been my grandmothers 96th birthday. 
Today has also been 2 years since my grandfather passed.


In March of 2011, my grandmother passed away at 94. She lived a long, amazing life and was cherished by so many people! While it was unbelievable hard to see her go, we knew she was in a much better place after what she had been going through her last few months. But one of the hardest things to think about was my grandfather being without her. Before she died, they had just celebrated their 61st wedding anniversary--HOLY MOLY.

Fast forward 4 months later, to July of 2011. Kurt and I were being picked up from my parents at the airport after being in Florida, when I saw my dad come walking toward us and my mom crying. My grandfather had fallen in the middle of the night and after a few days in the hospital, he had suffered internal complications and didn't make it.

It was shocking, unexpected and just completely unfair! But the part that really lifted my spirits, was that he died on my grandmother's birthday--today, July 16th. To this day, I think that is so special. I'm a firm believer he knew it was his time, and knew my grandmother couldn't spend her first birthday alone up in heaven!

My grandfather, sissy and I Easter 2011!

I wrote the eulogy for both of my grandparents funerals. Those are probably my most cherished written pieces in my entire life, and to this day, I still keep a printed copy of each in my car! Just a little reminder that I know they are always with me :-)

Happy Tuesday friends! 

Photobucket

12 comments:

P!nky said...

Love your picture, such an amazing quote!

<3 and hugs to you.

Katie said...

E-

Your gma and gpa would be SO proud of the person you are. My mom always called me "kind hearted Katie" but I want to extend that to you (kind hearted Erica) because you TRULY are! I love you so much and think it's amazing that you wrote the eulogy for both of them. So special.

Hugs to you today. and forever.

:)

Pamela said...

LOVE the quote!! So very true!

Nicole said...

A true testament! I look up more to my Grandparents and their eternal love more than any fairy tale! Thanks for sharing this!

jessica said...

erica, i love this post. just simple, sweet, and well said..no wonder they asked you to write the eulogies. :)

The Southern Thing said...

Such a sad but sweet story.
And I love that quote.. so true!

julia rose. said...

this is just the sweetest... but yet so sad. sending you my love today, and alwayyyyys :)
xo

Becky said...

I just stumbled on your blog and I'm so glad I did! I just lost my grandpa two weeks ago and it has been tough. The story of your grandma and grandpa is very sad but very very sweet! It is nice to know that they're at peace up there now. I read more of your posts and I'm actually going to Cape Cod on vacation in a few weeks! And tonight I'm hanging out with a friend that is moving to Boston in 2 weeks. The similarities are funny! Excited to follow along now :)

Christina said...

Aww, thinking of you today lovey. The picture is so cute.

Amber said...

Aww, thinking of you today! <3

You're right though, it's sweet that he knew he wanted to be with your grandma on her birthday!!

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet post, I am definitely thinking of you. Your grandma seems like she was an amazing person.

www.shewritesherownstory.com

Kelly said...

Lots of love today, your grandparents seem like such amazing people.