I don’t know how much this news has been broadcasted outside of New England, but the past 2 weeks or so in South Boston, there have been 2 kidnappings of young women, by men, forcing the girls to take them to ATM machines, withdraw their money and then stabbed to death. One survived the stabbings but one didn’t. They haven’t caught the person(s) yet either! I cannot stop reading the news about these horrible events waiting for updates/answers/anything...considering this is so close to home!
When I hear news like that, I can’t help but be afraid! It makes me wonder what would possess grown men to do this to girls in which they have no idea who they are and know they are defenseless. One of the girls had just come home from the gym, at 7 in the morning, when it happened; broad daylight. The worst part is, I know this happens everywhere!
Whether I’m by myself or with a group of people, it’s unfortunate that I am always looking over my shoulder, getting nervous when I see people looking around at us all creepy, checking a parking garage before getting into my car. I know that this obviously happens to guys too, but since I’m a girl and it seems to happen pretty frequently, I can’t help but be afraid to be alone in places in this crazy world. The past few weeks listening to this news, has really just left me with a heavy heart.
As much as I try not to “let the fear win,” I think it does most of the time! Am I the only one who ever feels this way?! Better yet, how does one get over a fear like this, or do you think it's something that will never change?
Just something that's been on my mind lately that I wanted to share!







14 comments:
Unfortunately this is the messed up world we live in. I think the fear will always be there. But maybe that's a good thing because it makes you AWARE. And when you're aware you can do things to protect yourself. Take a self defense class, carry pepper spray or a rape whistle, stay together even if your car is only around the corner. You can never be too safe!
Ugh. :( So scary.
It is so sad that we live in a world where (especially) as women - we live in fear. Fear of walking to our car alone, going on a run alone etc.
Gosh that is so scary! I'm the same way as you. I feel like I'm always slightly on edge when I'm alone. Even in broad daylight because stuff still happens then! :(
I completely know how you feel, I always get especially scared in parking structures. The world is a scary place, and it's really too bad!
Erica - great post! My daughter is living in Boston doing an internship this summer before returning to bentley in august. I am in fear everyday for her now. We've told her no more gym before work, on weekends take cabs home - do not walk alone. If I can't get her I panic! She knows this city so well and always felt safe! I agree what possesses a person to do this ? So frightening! Hurry up police and solve this ! I love your blog I cannot wait to go to that Mexican restaurant we usually go to margaritas but love new places.
About 9 months ago I got followed home from the train (also in broad daylight).. I stopped at my mailbox and he stood behind me.. I kept walking to my door hoping he just lived in the complex.. I put my key in the door and had a really strong feeling telling me to turn around before I unlocked my door so I did, and he was RIGHT behind me, I asked him what he wanted and kept questioning him and he wouldn't say anything he just stood there blankly staring and shaking his head every time I asked him a question. Pretty sure he was going to push through the door behind me when I opened it. I couldn't sleep for the longest time remembering how it felt to turn around and see him right behind me. Luckily nothing happened and I think my stalling and my neighbors voices on the other side of the fence threw him off. It's sad that we have to live in fear, though.
Super scary. Stay safe and be vigilant.
This is my problem; I watch way too much Investigation Discovery, so even if it is "just my imagination", I KNOW with absolute certainty that bad things happen everywhere, every day. I know I also probably freak myself out because I'm always so certain something bad could happen, but it's scary situations like this - that may or may not be something - that freak me out! I'd rather be safe than sorry!!
You are not the only person that feels this way. I get nervous walking from the front door to my car that's parked on the street when it's dark outside. It doesn't matter if I'm in a good neighborhood or not. When I get in my car in a parking lot, I don't click the fob to unlock the doors until I'm right there and I only push it once {so it just unlocks the driver door}. Then as soon as I get in the car, I lock the doors again. One of my guy friends new how nervous I was all the time so he convinced me to buy some pepper spray. However, even with that I find myself feeling nervous. I think it's sad that we {men included} have to be scared of stuff like this. Great post. Thanks for being so honest.
oh muffin, i can SO SO relate to this. i am so afraid of situations just like this. this made me so scary. please be alert. you're my little boston sunshine and I need you to stay safe XOXOXOX
Another blogger who lives in Boston just wrote about these events too. I'm so scared for you guys. I hope they catch this person ASAP. Be safe!!
So scary! It is really hard for me when I hear stories like this not to feel spooked. I try sp hard to relax and just be safe but its just terrifying to think about, especially since one happened in daylight!
Being a New Englander with lots of friends in the city of Boston, I have been watching the news like crazy myself. I was in the city this past weekend and I couldn't help but be a little scared walking around. I hope they find the people and we can all rest a little easier!
Post a Comment