If you've ever read my blog before, you may know I have a huge fear. Anyone know what it is?!
Flying!
Saying that word out loud gives me the biggest anxiety. And since I'm currently watching Discovery Channel's 2 hour special on how a group of scientists purposely crashed a plane to study its outcome, I thought I'd fill you guys in a little on my fear. It may also help me! But probably not...because I'm a lost cause when it comes to flying!
I've probably flown just over 25 times in my life, and I've always been scared. But the past 10 years or so its been about crashing, terrorism, and things going wrong mid-flight.
Let me give you a little look into my brain when I'm about to fly:
Book a trip 8 months in advance
Pray every night until we leave that we have a safe flight to and from our destination
2 weeks prior, start to seriously consider backing out of the trip
1 week prior start worrying/getting anxious hardcore about the flight
Night before, don't sleep a wink
Morning of, lay on cold bathroom floor feeling nauseas trying to calm down
In the airport terminal, look at everyone about to be on our flight
Question why a man has no carry-on
Question why a man is fidgety
Pray during take off
Pray during flight
Dig fingernails into Kurt's arms when I hear a noise
Notice if someone is in bathroom for too long
Make sure flight attendants never look nervous
Pray during landing
PRAIS JESUS when I step foot out of plane!!
Phew
That was exhausting just typing all of that out
Honestly though, I think it's an awful disease/fear. Not only does it make the entire flight unenjoyable, but it hinders me from ever wanting to fly anywhere!
I try my best to keep busy. Sleeping is out of the question. I won't allow myself to sleep because I have to constantly be aware of my surroundings. I watch TV, listen to music, read, and....DRINK.
From our trip to Disney
Vodka Cran at 630am
And Hanna from Pretty Lil Liars
Classy
I've thought about taking a drug, talking to someone about it, or even taking a sleeping pill for goodness sake! However, I'm not quite sure it would help. Talking about it does make me feel a little better though. My dad, who has his pilots license, always tries calming me down by explaining the chances of a crash are slim. And if I can handle it, I'll google "how planes fly" a few weeks before a flight. I literally just laughed out loud thinking of myself googling that.
Anyone else scared to fly? Any tips for a scardey cat flyer like myself?!







23 comments:
I'm not a fan of flying either. I'm definitely not as bad as you are, but I certainly don't enjoy it! I HATE takeoffs and landings, and if the plane bounces or makes a noise... I squeeze Jake's hand like CRAZY. Jake thinks it's funny. It's totally not!
It is almost bizarre how similar our flying jitters are. Did I mention that I just booked a flight last night and now I'm reading this? The anxiety has already set in, haha. I always, always check to see where the flight attendants are. I get freaked OUT when the pilots have them remain in their seats longer than normal but as soon as they start taking drink orders and the fasten seatbelt sign is off, I'm better.
Take-off is the absolute worst for me. Anxietyyyyy. I hyper-ventilate. I'm sure that looks really cool. While Xanax has helped a tiny bit, the anxiety is always there. For some reason, it always helps when kids sit near me. They giggle and think take-off is fun while I stop breathing. Also, I don't like when people sleep. I feel so alone on the plane :( We sound like crazies...
I hate flying. HAAAAAATE.
I'd drive 20 hours just to avoid a plane. I have to get meds when I fly.. Like my trip to Cinci, and my trip to Florida, and my trip to NYC.. totally don't remember any of it really. Apparently the medicine kicks in REAL fast, and then it leaves your family to haul you through the airport... luggage and all.
I didn't even get to enjoy PLL and a drink on my flight(s). I was knocked out, stone cold.
My anxiety wins every time.
The thought of flying doesn't bother me UNTIL I know we're on the runway and about to take off - THEN, it just got REAL haha. You can conquer this fear!! Love ya!
One of my best friends is also DEATHLY afraid of flying. But here's the thing I always say: What is the point of stressing about it? Will feeling stressed out change anything about the outcome of the flight? Nope. So I say, how about stress only if there's actually something to stress about. I'm sure easier said than done... soooo how about Xanax? One of those + a cocktail = ZONKED THE EFF OUT!
xo
If I ACTUALLY think about the concept of flying.. I freak the F out. TONS and TONS of STEEL just floating in the area? Explain to me the physics of wind passing over the wings ALL YOU WANT, but it still doesn't make sense.
I'm super morbid, so I think of whether I'd have cell service to call my family to leave them a voicemail. I'm not TOO bad though. I've never had any bad flight experiences. I'm actually more scared of cars and driving at times.. I'm 100% convinced someone close to me will die in a car accident at any given moment. when it comes to "marriage fears" I'm actually more scared of my fiance dying than I am of a divorce. Super rational, I know.
I have the same fear and I act the exact same thing. I am so paranoid on planes. It's pretty awful :/
xo, Heather
I am SPEECHLESS. You and I are the same person. I am terrified of flying, but I also have a weird irrational fear of airplanes themselves. If I have to get on a plane by walking out on the tarmac? I have to close my eyes and be walked to the plane or I will freak out. It's so bad! I also need to watch everything about planes because I'm convinced (in my weird brain) that if I know everything about the crash I'll be prepared. haha! So yeah, I have that special DVR-ed to watch tonight even though I'm flying to Europe on Monday!! I know I'll cry the whole way. Although, after flying to Australia by myself I'm a tiny but better. I know it's superstitious, but I always kiss my hand and plant it on the plane as I board. For some reason it makes me feel better :) Oh, and Xanax too.
Erica! I'm the exact, exact same way. The whole squeezing Andrew's arm thing every time there is even a bump I freak out. No joke. I always say a prayer right before I step onto the plain and the entire walk down to the door. It's def. something I struggle with too. I can't help but relate to Kelly B. above me. Every day when Andrew leaves for work I pray he comes home. It's such a fear of mine. Personally, I think all females are like this and there is nothing we can do to stop the worry from leaving our hearts. I love you and even though I'm flipping out about flying to see you soon, I KNOW as soon as I land I am hugging the MESS Out of you! Love you so much muffin!
Dude, I meant plane. Why I wrote "plain" I'll never know. Face palm*
OMG I hate flying! I always look to see if other people are freaking out whenever I hear a noise. But usually I'm travelling for work and not allowed to drink. Totally unfair!
Awwww haha I love you for this. I knew you had this fear, and I think a lot of us think the same things. I ALWAYS check where people are going like a freak. I love that you were drinking at 630am :) and that it doesn't stop you from flying!
I've been flying since I was 7weeks old. No joke. I love the idea of getting on a place and going ANYWHERE...partly because I live in Ohio and the weather is shitsville for a good 4-5 months of the year.
That being said I empathize because I watched The Poseidon adventure and now have a pathological fear of getting on a boat with my daughter because she doesn't know how to hold her breath yet. I mean fear to the point that I refused to go on a cruise with my friends. Its baaaaaad. I may not even get in a canoe with her.
I hate flying as well. I couldn't stand it when I took a 12 hour flight to Israel! I thought I was going to freak out...I am probably the only person who stayed awake the entire flight.
I totally understand where you are coming from! While I am still not the biggest fan of flying, I used to be absolutely terrified to fly. Having a job that requires me to travel, I had to figure something out. I started with a prescription from my doctor (only take it when I fly) and that helped a lot but I think the biggest help has been just traveling a lot and becoming familiar with the routine/noises/etc. Also, music to drown out the noises and a good book or game to keep you distracted help.
You sound just.like.me.
seriously my biggest fear ever. I hate it. Which is why I really surprised myself when I decided to go to Ethiopia... 13 1/2 hour flight there, 16 1/2 hours home.. what!!!! I can't sleep either (cause something will totally go wrong if I do and I don't wanna miss it and not be able to try and do anything lol) so I was very overtired! It was brutal. I used to leave notes or 'homemade wills' before I'd fly. This time I told everyone I care about how I was seriously going to die on the flight to or from Africa. I didn't, obviously, but I still hate flying (maybe even more!)
Exact same fear! Pretty sure I cry the entire time.
Kevin is the same way. Get some meds from your doctor and you won't care about hopping on a plane! That's what he did and it's amazing the difference it made!
Oh my jesus I HATE flying too!! I never used to be so scared, but every time I go on a plane i'm all kinds of anxious. Listening to music/watching movies ALWAYS helps! or reading a book too.
Cranberry vodka...girl, you're my twin at heart.
LOL ummmm did Beau write this post?! This is EXACTLY what he does!! TO THE TEE!!!!! Vodka at 6am too!!
He's been taking xanax on the past few flights and it works like a CHARM! You should really consider it for when you're flying. He's not allowed to NOT take it when we fly lol...I get sick of him jumping at the sound of nothing!!
Love you!! Next time, I'll fly to YOU. Deal?!
Oh you poor thing!! I don't have anything to help you but I do know its actually safer to fly than to drive. Just a thought.
i think the only real solution here is to have me fly with you every time you go anywhere so i can talk your ear off and make you not nervous!! :)
hear you lovebug!
I hate flying too! I get so much anxiety and I always make myself sick.
Anybody can tell me how slim the chances are to be in a plane crash, but it doesn't matter! I can be a part of that slim chance!!
I've thought about taking xanax or something...I don't know what else would work!
Post a Comment