PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

2.27.2012

Store Discrimination!?

Happy Monday friends! :-)

A few years ago, my parents talked about buying a new Chevy Suburban. A new Suburban probably runs at about $60,000 or more. The day my dad decided to buy one, he went into the dealership straight from work. He's an interior decorator/painter/carpenter extraordinaire, so he was wearing painters pants, a dirty shirt, a dirty hat, and probably smelled from working all day.

But he did have a reason for this! And this blog post does have a point. See, my parents have bought their fair share of cars from their fair share of hoity toity, snobby, 10+ years experience sales guys.


So this particular day, he wanted those snobby, experienced sales men to see this dirty, grungy man walk in, and hand him over to one of the new, inexperienced car salesman; probably because they didn't think he'd be buying a brand new car. That's exactly what happened. My dad bought the car, and the new guy walked away with a nice commission.

I think about that story my dad's told me a lot. Because it's true. We do judge people based on appearance. I've walked into Hot Topic in J-Crew clothes and aren't asked to be helped at all. Today I went into Ann Taylor looking like a slothy mc slother wearing leggings and an old sweatshirt...not the pretty blouses and pencil skirts that the employees were wearing. No one said a word to me! I took note of this because I saw another woman walk in, dressed to the nines, and she was greeted right away!

I'm not saying that it was because we were dressed differently, but sometimes I do feel as though businesses judge you according to your looks; which isn't really fair! Oh sheesh now I probably sound bratty. I'm only speaking from experience! Am I the only one who thinks this?

And hey, I did walk out with this pretty little number!


Happy Monday!

Photobucket

27 comments:

Candace said...

I so agree, that's happened to me in Banana Republic. I was not looking so cute and no one said anything when i first came in, then a lady who was dressed nicely came in and they all flocked to her. I hate that.

Caitlin said...

I so agree! This happens to me all the time. As a college student, I'm typically dressed in leggings or jeans and a tshirt. Any time I walk into a nice store I get completely ignored as if they assume that because I'm young and dressed a bit sloppy, that I must not be worth the time. So annoying.
I liked your dad's way of handling this!

Jennifer said...

I actually am pretty much always asked if I need help or greeted when I walk into Hot Topic or any other store. I always find it funny, thinking wow..the workers must think I don't belong and am lost.

Shannon Page said...

This is all very true and its a great lesson to be learned! I can sense a difference in service depending on how I dress no matter where I go. Great post!

Samantha said...

ca-uuuute dress! i love it!

Everyday Adventures said...

Love the striped dress you got!! Super sassy! I can relate to businesses especially stores being judgemental, especially in places like Jcrew where I head right to the sales rack hehe

Megan at Megan Can said...

I agree completely! Great post! Working in a bridal boutique I often find myself getting a feel for what people maybe looking for according to how they are dressed but honestly it doesn't matter one single bit! & everyone should always be treated as you wish to be treated! Great story! Thanks for sharing & great dress btw!

The Slice said...

YES this is so true! I really hate it when that happens. And I hate feeling like I am being judged BEFORE I buy something- that is not good costumer service at all.

Sami said...

I totally agree with you on this and I learned a ton from working in Retail because I worked in the Juniors department and most of my coworkers wouldn't help young girls that came in by themselves thinking they wouldn't buy anything but 9 times out of 10 their Mom would show up later to pay for everything.

Sami said...

Ps. Love the dress you got! It's so cute!

Amanda said...

I totally can relate to this! But in the end, you got a super cute dress, which I want to borrow, but you live far away... Maybe I'll just go buy one!

Katy said...

I think you have a really valid point! Love the dress you bought!

Alicia @ To Columbus and Beyond! said...

I worked at a store that was like those Ann Taylor bitches. Basically, if a black guy walked in - someone had to follow because they were automatically suspicious (yagottabefuckinkiddingme). I didn't work at a clothing store either, it was a housewares store - black men need dish towels too ya know?

Unknown said...

this is SO true and something my dad says all the time...he totally would wear his postal uniform (and still does even though he's retired) when he wants to be treated a certain wayin situations and it's crazy but it works!

Unknown said...

this is SO true and something my dad says all the time...he totally would wear his postal uniform (and still does even though he's retired) when he wants to be treated a certain wayin situations and it's crazy but it works!

Stephanie said...

VERY true!! I've thought this before too!

PS-you are ROCKIN' those stripes, ma'am!!

LOVE YOU TO PIECES LITTLE BEAR!! xoxo

Whim Wham Life said...

oh yeah! it's totally like that scene in Pretty Woman! I've always wanted to do that whole Julia Roberts thing, (minus being a prostitute), walk in looking grungy one day, get snubbed, then walk in the next day looking fab! xoxo

Bre said...

Wassup sexy?

Raquel said...

SO true!!

Ashley said...

dejavu!! i have had this SAME ann taylor experience! what gives AT LOfT people??! WE are cool - we just like to dress cozy. and i am DYING over your new little number -you are rocking it!! HUGS, kisses and Sparkle rainbows my love!! :)

sorry - i'm such a dork sometimes :p

ashley said...

the picture of the used car sales guy is kinda funny!
and i never go shopping when i don't look great-- bc i don't like the stares and 'looks'! totally know what you mean! (i just worked out, shut it!)

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons said...

I've noticed that too! Especially since i'm usually dressed like a bum b/c p isnt around! lol

LOVE the dress!!!! can i borrow it? =)

Michelle said...

It is definitely true! Retail workers do pick and choose who they greet and help based on appearance! Sad but true!

I love your new dress! Super cute!

XOXOXOO

henning love said...

that is a cute looking dress! and you are right about store discrimination when i go into ann taylor looking all scruffy the sales ladies look at me like i have no place shopping there. makes me feel like julia roberts in the movie pretty woman

Wiz said...

This post made me think of Pretty Woman. I love looky shabby at car dealerships when I am ready to buy and I love when they run my credit and are suddenly much nicer.

Rachel said...

just like in pretty woman!!!

Sabrina Says Blog said...

Woah... you leave the house in sweats?

I would never even think about stepping out in anything less than heels, pearls and the most perfect fitting dress.

BAHAHAH

Kidding of course!

Half the time I am in yoga pants and a baggy top and when I am in the mood to spend money... WATCH OUT! and I hate it when people don't help. It's your JOB to help me! So what if you think I'm going to waste your time! Be nice!!

GRRR

Love you! and LOVE your dress!!

Sabrina Says