"I just want to roll around in money and feel it on my private parts"
Yup.
But on a more serious note, yesterday I saw a status that really made me feel bad. A kid I went to middle school with, mind you this was almost 10 years ago, posted a status about two middle school teachers. It was something along the lines of “Mr ___ was such a weirdo and now that I am an adult I would totally punch Mr___.
At first I sort of chuckled. Mainly because I knew most people didn’t like these staff members. But as I read through all 40 COMMENTS, I realized how cruel people were being…on FACEBOOK! A public place.
At first I sort of chuckled. Mainly because I knew most people didn’t like these staff members. But as I read through all 40 COMMENTS, I realized how cruel people were being…on FACEBOOK! A public place.
They were making fun of multiple teachers. And not just things like “he sucks” or “she was mean.” Literally making sexual comments, comments about appearance, comments about teachers having affairs. And then it got worse with people bringing up students who weren’t exactly the most popular kids in school (GOD FORBID!!!) and making fun of them.
It got to a point where I was just like, really? This is why you’re still living at home, hanging out with the same friends, doing the same things, drinking the same crappy beers you drank in middle school. I realized they still hadn’t let go of their past. Hadn’t moved on. And it made me angry.
It got to a point where I was just like, really? This is why you’re still living at home, hanging out with the same friends, doing the same things, drinking the same crappy beers you drank in middle school. I realized they still hadn’t let go of their past. Hadn’t moved on. And it made me angry.
What gives, people? I know a lot of teachers who have Facebook and I’m sure some of them saw this!
So what would you do? If I had balls, I’d write something on the comment, but I’m seriously such a scardy cat and hate confrontation. But at the same time, I hated seeing this and felt really horrible!






28 comments:
UGH! I hate that kind of stuff! Focus on your own life... not on other peoples!!! I'm the same way as you though, I wouldn't have the guts to leave a comment. :)
I think you made the best decision by staying out of it, but that really is awful. And now that some of my friends are teachers, I realize more and more how hard they work. That's sad.
P.S. I feel like such a loser because i was like "what?! people drank beer in middle school?!"
CarissaExplainsItAll
I don't know what I would have done either, but this makes me feel really sad for so much. Sad that this is the direction social media is going in. Sad that so many people live in the past and don't evolve. Sad that people don't live up to their potential or put their best foot forward. I've never seen anything like this on fb, but I'm sure it's out there in many forms. Sad. Good on you for taking note and not agreeing. You've got to credit yourself for that!
You should press the little report button - isn't there one of those? Haha I deleted my FB account a while back. But if you know him well, you should definitely say something. But that is a bit ridiculous. I mean you can tell hes lifeless if he finds the need to sit there and post mean things about people from TEN YEARS AGO.
that is pretty terrible. unfortunately people don't have much going on where they have time to discuss this sort of thing.
my teacher friends, work SO hard. i am sure other people are only joining in because they just want to feel as though they belong and need that sort of satisfaction (even in their twenties).
be proud you haven't commented. you'd just be doing exactly what they want...defending the teachers so they can keep the comments going.
:)
I agree with Kate 100%! I probably would have commented. I don't know though. Tough call. When I see stuff like that I usually just brush it off and laugh at how stupid they are making themself look on the internet. PS-Only a couple more monthssssssss until you come to the OH!! AHHH:)
I hate that! But like you, i'm a scaredy cat too when it comes to confrontation. I would maybe indirectly confront them by defriending them (ooooooooooh! major diss!) or something, but yeah, that's ridiculous that there were 40 immature comments talking about that MIDDLE SCHOOL teacher! Hello, get over ittttttttt... 10 yrs ago!? Come onnnn
Oh girl. I probably wouldn't have the guts to say anything either but sheesh! Sounds like these people need to get a life or fix something in theirs. It's just sad, isn't it, when people have to bring down others to make themselves feel better?
No bueno.
Honestly - while I can understand the desire to step in, I think the best decision was just not to engage. It is sad that people can't get over stupid stuff like that - I mean middle school?! really?! I'm not even friends with people I went to middle school with. I think people bash others like that publicly because it makes them feel better.
I had a 'friend' who was really negatic on FB and she always said crap about people (known and unknown) and I finally just hid it because it was ridiculous. I don't need that kind of ish in my life.
i woulda de-friended them. i hate getting on facebook and seeing constant complaints from the same person updating their status every five minutes while they sip on their haterade. so i usually do the de-friend thing or the hide them from my news feed thing.
most of the time when i get on fb it's after working all day so i don't wanna read negative shiz when im trying to relax..i totally feel ya.
Ew, totally unacceptable!!!! I've seen a handful of statuses like this in the past and I HAVE commented. I've had maybe two people defriend me, which I'm totally fine with - I don't want to be looking at that nastiness on my feed!
Just started following your blog a little while ago, Love it!
Its sad that people have to write those things on facebook, I would have wanted to say something but I probably would not have liked the confrontation aspect of it.
I, too, think you made the best decision by staying out of that drama.
It blows my mind that ADULTS say things like that on public social networking sites. Really?! We're adults. Shouldn't we be past petty drama and name calling? And yet I see it all the time too. And as a future teacher it makes me cringe. Sure, some teachers might not do their best every single day but does any person have the right to bash another in such a public manner? Hate. It.
first, You are freakin fabulous for the facebook picture. I can't read the "congratulations" without thinking of will ferrell in Elf. haha!
anyway, that is kind of sad that people were so hard on their past teachers. Move on people! I am actually friends with some HS teachers on facebook and I know they would be devastated to read something like that.
I would stay out of it because I wouldn't want my phone blowing up with all the replies, hahah! But, if you do want to respond, do it in a personal message. That's the mature way to handle it. Sometimes it's best to shake your head, move on, and be glad that you don't act that way!! XO
Cyber bullying is horrible and it seems like it's just getting worse instead of stopping due to all these suicides.
I get to deal with my stepdaughters' godmother making indirect comments towards me and my husband all the time on her status'. One day, I will snap and it's not going to be pretty.
That is really horrible. I am the same way though, i totally dont have the balls to say what i would want to say. I know the exact "type" of people you are talking about too. If they are still living in middle school, I feel bad for them. People just need to be NICE!
I do not like Facebook, I just don't. Yet I am still on there so that my fiance can link to me so others know he is engaged. Sounds stupid I know, but his friends are not my most favorite people and well, I feel they all need to know. (Rubbing in in their face ::rub:: ::rub::) Anyways.. =)
Facebook should be called Bullybook.
I am extremely confrontational but I still would have stayed out of it. You don't need to become the next subject of their banter.
I know people who are still stuck in high school or college too. Those who will never grow up, never let go of things, and never stop bullying. It's sad.
ugh. that's usually when i defriend people. no room in my life (or status feed) for immaturity or disrespect. :) maybe try that, verse getting into a facebook argument (which is just as bad, ya know?)
oxx!
Oh, I hate being the person who sets everyone straight on Facebook, but sometimes I can't help it. Usually I just de-friend, but if it's someone I know, I might send them a private message. If it's racist or homophobic, though, I'll turn into a huge bitch for everyone to see.
Some people are so mean this day and time. They dont respect thereself therefore why respect others. I am a scardy cat to so I know I wouldnt have commented either but I would prob defriend them. Just cause they want to talk like that and be like doesnt mean you have to see it or be tempted to read it.
Some days I just hate Facebook.
People are so lame. MOVE ON. Do something with your life. Spread smiles. :)
I hate when things like that happen. People fool you into thinking they have grown up and then they post things like that on Facebook. :(
I wouldn't say anything. People can be mean and when you show that you are more mature than they are, they might just turn on you. Let them be the immature people!
XO Lourdes
Eww. You never know how long people harbor stuff or when they might decide to let it surface. Sad, really. :( Good for you for doing a post saying how not cool it is.
Ugh, people need to grow up. I can barely remember teachers from back then let alone what kind of people they were. You would think someone would have more to do with his time then bash a teacher from way back when. Now, if you want to talk about college professors, thats another story;)
That is so sad. Just one reason that Facebook stinks. I hate when people use it for bad instead of good.
I feel embarrassed for people when they post silly things. I have deleted a good bunch from their annoying statuses
Post a Comment