PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

9.27.2011

That time I pretended I went to Harvard

This past weekend Kurt and I ventured into Boston to this massive computer store so he could buy tools and equipment to build a computer
.

I mean as nerdy as it sounds, it makes me smile watching him run around the store picking up hard drives and gigabytes and motherboards and power supplies and gigahertz and output thingamajigs. (I don't know if he even got any of that stuff...I just rattled off technology mumbo jumbo that I know)

We were close to Cambridge (Pahk tha cah in hahvad yahd) so we decided to go to lunch at one of my favorite places...FIRE AND ICE! They cook in front of you on a big grill. So delicious. But before we did that, I insisted on walking around Harvard speaking in a British accent pretending to talk to Kurt about a big thesis I had to do for class. This only worked for 5 seconds before Kurt walked away in embarressment.






I was a tourguide in college. It was probably one of my most favorite jobs EVER! Maybe I'll blog about it one day. But the point of me saying this was that I saw a tour going through Harvard while I was creeping the campus. I ran after them and eavesdropped from behind while Kurt hid across the courtyard.


I heard a lot of things from the tourguide ranging from:

"And Harvard's most notorious professer was blah blah," 
"The reason for the vines on the building is blah blah" 
"I honestly have spent 22 hours in this library working on my blah blah blah"

OK girl. Excuse me. No matter how smart these are, they might also want to know about the dorms...or about the food...or how much trouble they'll get in if they are spotted doing a kegstand at Delta's frat party. I couldn't believe it! I was taught as a tourguide not to give too much history, but gear it more towards what the kids wanted to know. I wanted to crack a beer open in front of this tour group and show them that fun does exist in college (even though I was a pretend Harvard student)


Then we saw this one man band outside of Harvard's campus.



Then we met up with one of my college roommates and her boyfriend for lunch at Fire and Ice and then Pinkberry!



Okay lads, I'm off to the library for the next 13 hours to work on my thesis (said in British accent) Ta Ta!

Photobucket

11 comments:

Café Moka said...

You are so funny girl haha!
I have been to Boston a couple years ago and I also visited Harvard and I loved it! I bought a Harvard t-shirt and I often wear it when I work on my thesis (haha for real), it gives me inspiration and makes me look really smart ha!!!

P!nky said...

OH guuuuuuuuuuuurrrrlfriend I was a tour guide in college too! It was sooo much fun, I love it! And I totally agree, you are suppose to talk about the buildings and the history but also what makes our school so much fun. Seriously the best feeling was seeing a kid I gave a tour too at my school and hearing how my tour helped her pick my college!

Oh the memories!

Brooke said...

I LOVE this. I've never been to Harvard, but it looks beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I love Harvard Square! I had a friend in college who's boyfriend went to Harvard, and those "nerdies", sure know how to party.

I used to be a tour guide at my college too. And I totally agree with you. I mean, give the parents what they want to hear, but you HAVE to gear it towards the students...they are the ones attending the college!

Next time I'm in Boston we can be pretend Harvard Law students together! I wont run and hide! lol

Anonymous said...

This looks so much fun!

next time leave the boyfran at home and I'll gladly walk around with you speaking in a posh accent of our latest 'scientific discovery'!

Deidre said...

I totally would have been all over the fake british accent...embarrassment shmembarrassment!

I always thought tours were silly anyone, they never show'd the actual rooms that a freshmen would live in. Le sigh. College. good riddance.

Hollie Ann said...

my boyfriend is a computer geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek....so i hear ya! i am dying to go to boston this looked so so fun!

Ashley said...

i want to come to bahston and eat pinkberry with you and pretend we're fun college students again.....maybe i'll be australian! :)


i bet you were an amaaaaaaze tour guide!

Lindsey said...

It blows my mind that people can build computers. I need someone that smart in my life. I can barely put together Ikea furniture. FML!

Amber said...

OMG, totally sounds like something I would do.. walk around in an accent pretending to be someone else in order to embarrass my boyfriend. LOVE it ;)

Jessica Holly said...

Oh my. I'm totally obsessed with Pink Berry. Really though.