PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

9.22.2011

An incident with an elderly person

Something really crappy and saddening happened the other day while I was at the grocery store. I was in the frozen food aisle looking for one of my FAVORITE Lean Cuisine meals (Lemon Pepper Fish...holy crap..try it) and I saw an 80-ish year old man at the other end of the aisle in one of those motorized scooters.

He was having the hardest time keeping the freezer door open while trying to maneuver his upper body to find a frozen meal he wanted. FOUR people walked by and did not help him. I wanted to cry!

I went over and asked if he needed any help. He smiled and said,

"no, I'm okay...but whoever brought you up, go home 
and give them a hug because they did a great job."

I could have died on the spot! It made me happy. So I continued to look for my meal, and finally found it waaaay in the back. As I turned to go check out, I saw him struggling again on the other side of the aisle.

 I went and held the door open for him and we ended up having a 10 minute conversation about the Smart One's frozen chicken pot pie versus the Lean Cuisine Shrimp Scampi dish. He swore that the Chicken Pot Pie was the best frozen meal out there. I held up my Lemon Pepper Fish and said no way, this is the best. It amazed me just how much a simple conversation like that could make someone so happy.


He was excitedly telling me about how his microwave at home wasn't that good so he needed to find frozen meals that could handle his old microwave. Then he told me how when he couldn't cook for himself anymore, how much he loved sampling all the different frozen meals. It was so cute. He bid me goodbye and I watched him scoot down the aisle towards the deli meat counter where he said he was going to get some bologna and cheese. Seriously, HOW CUTE?

I grew up with my grandparents and watched them get older, and watched them continuously say "No, I don't need help, I can do it." Though it might be a pride thing, or they might not want to appear vulnerable, I still think it's respectful to help out elderly people.


I felt good helping this man, even though he didn't ask for it. To be honest, it really brightened my day!

So help those oldies! You're gonna be one of them one day! ;-)


Photobucket

36 comments:

brynn said...

i LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this.

senior citizens have a VERY special place in my heart.

Ashley said...

so, did you go hug your parents? ;)

i agree - helping others...old, young, whatever costs nothing, but means everything! good deed lady!

Jess said...

That is SO sweet of you! It makes me so happy to do that sometimes ...

Alex Byer said...

You're an excellent human being :) Sometimes they're just looking for a quick hand and someone to talk to. It's really not a lot to ask. I'm glad you stopped to help him!

Raven said...

Erica I loved loved LOVED this!!! seriously, I see the same thing all the time. I mean, kids my age will just walk in a door and not even THINK to hold it open for anyone else, let alone an elderly person! I just feel so bad thinking that the "oldies" might feel that since they aren't as capable in certain areas, that they are somehow forgotten, but I know they feel like they AREN'T when people like you do what you did, help them and have conversations with them. Because unfortunately, our generation (ok so maybe you and I aren't in the SAME generation but I'm not THAT much older than you heehee) really can be crappy rude and just have no respect for anyone, let alone the elderly.

Doesn't it just make you feel SO good when you do something nice for someone? Sadly, it's become more of a rare occurrence, so I try to do things like that often :)

love ya sweetie pot pie pops!

Anna said...

LOVE this. I'm the same way. I don't understand how some people don't even feel the slightest desire to hold open the door for an elderly person. Sometimes I don't even have faith in my own generation!

Katie said...

Erica I really enjoyed this post from you. I worked with elderly people in high school that started out as something to just make some just side money (you know, for booze) and I grew to really love most of the people there. I do believe in showing respect to them and helping them whenever possible.

It makes me the saddest when I see them eating dinner in a restaurant alone. Makes me want to go eat with them for company!

Anonymous said...

This made me smile so big!
Thank you for sharing and for being so generous to our older ones.

P!nky said...

That was so sweet of you. I am sure he appreciated the time you gave him. My sister and I befreinded an older gentelman at church recently and he is a doll.

I always try to help older people when I can, so they don't think we are a bunch of hooligans. This post is just what I needed to read to get my hiney in gear to plan to visit the Veterans home near my house.

Have a great day pretty and thoughtful lady!

xoxo

Lauren said...

This is wonderful, I try to go out of my way if someone needs help opening the door or picking up something they dropped or say hello. It really does mean the world to them :-)

Rachel said...

That's really sweet. You never know how much your ten minutes could effect their week.

Pamela said...

LOVE this! SO sweet! It is really sad at the people now, that won't help anyone even do a simple task like you did!

kaity said...

aww this story just made my day. :] applause to you for being such a good and sweet person. I like to think that receiving small acts of kindness like this can make anyone's day better, no matter their age.

Megan said...

You are very sweet! I also try to help people where I can and sometimes pick up people next to the road if I can see that they are struggling, ie someone walking with groceries. It makes my boyfriend quite angry, because South Africa isn't the safest place and he is scared something might happen

Megan O. said...

I enjoyed this post and it actually made me a bit tear eyed because I feel so bad for senior citizen who are alone. Plus I would want people to treat my grandparents well if they were struggling with someone, why wouldn't I do it for someone else.

Anonymous said...

This story made me smile. I love hearing stories of good deed. I, too was extremely close to my grandparents. We lived with them for half of my childhood, so I hold old people very dear to my heart.

It is SO nice to hear that you brightened that man's day. You only hope that someday when you are old, that someone treats you with the same kindness and respect!!!

Carolyn said...

So sweet! :) I love oldies too!

Amber said...

Erica! This made me tear up. I have the softest spot for old people and they always make me so happy. I'm always willing to lend a helping hand when I see out. They're just the sweetest! You rock for making his day! :)

So shay said...

I teared up reading this too love bug. You're the most amazing girl Erica! Wow, that sounds super corny, but I am truly blessed to call you a FRIEND. I love making old people happy. They are such little muffins and their stories are so funny if you just take the time to listen to them. I always hold doors open for them in my building...some can be grouchy and not say anything but most of the time they will smile at me and say Thank you and I have to admit, it makes me feel good too. LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

When we are old one day...we have to get in a skimpy bathing suit and let our wrinkles flap in the wind and we can go do the dougie and bernie at the clubs. It will be amazing. HAhaha. Even if we have to do it with canes.

So shay said...

Ohhh and I forgot to mention that yesterday Andrew told me that this old couple came into his office. The old man used to be super funny and friendly because he had been a patient for years and years. He'd come in bringing donuts and crackin' jokes for all the ladies in the office. Well, I guess he hadn't been in in awhile and when he came in yesterday the man had dementia. He couldn't even determine what was up and down and had become a completely different person? The best part? The old lady held his hand the entire time and announced to the whole office..."THIS IS MY HUSBAND AND HE'S THE LOVE OF MY LIFE!" Like, yelled it. Next month they will be married 59 years.

Melt my heart, will ya? My gosh.

And the even better part? Andrew told me this story this morning while he was in the shower and he said, "Babe...if that happened to me...would you do the same thing?"

And I said, "Heck yes babe! And I'll even have shirts for both of us that say "His ---> and Hers <----"...

Oh yes... Anyway, love you!

Raquel said...

Awww thats so sweet!

Jenni@Story of My Life said...

This made me cry Erica!! You are just so sweet. I have such a soft place in my heart for older people. I'm glad you helped that man. :)

Ashley said...

you are amazing....i want to give you a big hug right now!

and i have looked skeptically at that lemon pepper fish....totally going to try it.

love you!

Lauren Nicole said...

So sweet, Erica! I love elderly people. And I'm one of few at work that love serving them. They usually leave a crappy tip, but I love talking to them -- I can tell that my interest in them just brightens their day and in turn, brightens mine.

He's right.. Whoever brought you up, brought you up well!!

xo, Lauren [Let It Be.]

Hollie Ann said...

awe i loved this! i have to admit i'm better with kids than old people but not helping ANYONE in need is so sad! good job and good job mom ;)

Alyssa said...

That just broke my heart!! So glad you helped him!

Candace said...

This makes my heart so happy. I'm an old people lover too. I think it comes from the years that I worked at a nursing home. I guarantee you made that guys day.

Kind people like you rock:)

Jenna @ LaFemmeLaFanciful.com said...

I am so happy you were there to help this old man! <3 It breaks my heart when I see older people struggling with something.

Go you Erica!!! Reading this reminded me that love actually is all around ! :)

Chelsea said...

This totally just made me tear up. I love hearing stories like this one. Experiences with elderly people can be some of the best. I used to volunteer at an assisted living center and heard some amazing stories whenever I was there :)

Julie @ The Smitten Mintons said...

I had a really similar experience last month- I was in the restroom at the airport, and an old lady in a wheelchair was struggling to button her pants. She was seriously out of breath because she was trying so hard to suck in and button them. And I watched people just walk by her. I went over and asked if she needed help, and she was so happy....which made me so happy.

My-cliffnotes said...

Such a cute story, you're wonderful. I love old people. Like LOVE.

Courtney B said...

Oooh this is SO sweet! What a great reminder! I am totally guilty of speeding through my errands trying to get everything done on my to do list that I rarely come up for air, or just to notice those around me. I will definitely be more aware of my surroundings and help out whenever I can. Because you are so right, it would brighten my day up in a heart beat!

Keri said...

What a sweet story!!! Love this <3

Seashells and Southern Belles said...

crying at work now after reading this. wow. I have such a soft spot for the elderly... they have been through so much and I can't imagine what it's like to look back over all the years and then not be able to do stuff for yourself anymore. I saw an elderly woman really struggling the other day trying to get in her car and it made me so sad... find that man's address and I will ship him a new, faster microwave! I honestly wish that we could do that for him! and this is a good reminder that I need to slooow down... so thank you :-)

Michelle said...

LOVE this! What a sweet story. Love talking to the elderly... it's always interesting what they have to say!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

My granfather is unfortunately in the nursing home. We visit him often & everytime I go it breaks my heart. The elderly are overlooked so often & it's just not fair. What people don't understand is with age comes, experience & being wise. Elderly people usually have the best stories ever.