"You're texting someone you know through your blog? Do you even know them? I don't get it"
"You want to fly halfway across the country to meet people you met through
the internet? Are you insane? What if they're an old guy trying to kidnap you?"
"If you meet someone you know through the internet
you're gonna turn out like Natalie Holloway"
JEE! THANKS EVERYONE! Get a blog and maybe you'll understand this phenomoman!
I started my blog about a year ago on a whim. I was reading medical blogs for my job and was like hey, some of these comments are pretty cool...these people seem genuinely interested in this blog post. So, Young and Fabulous was born! For about a month, I blogged about pretty much nothing and had about 10 people that were interested in what I was saying. Then, I made a blog email and allowed comments to be sent there and BAM!
The first person that I could seriously say "wow I wish this chick lived closer so we could hang out" was RISSY believe it or not! (believe it..haha I remember sitting in my little cube when I found her blog and I was like hmm..I think this girl is hilarious) Through Carissa's blog followers, I found more and more loves!
I never imagined blogging would turn out the way it did. I have met amazing people. I know so much about their lives via blogging and I just think that's fabulous. Blogging started out as a way to continue my love for writing, and turned into something more. Friendships. Daily texts/video chats. Daily emails. Facebook friends. I mean really, who wouldn't want to receive amazing pics like this on the daily ;-)
There is such negativity out there focusing on the internet and meeting people online. People take the horror stories and automatically assume every situation is like that. I'm sorry but, if I'm chatting daily with a blog friend and receiving pics/videos, I'd like to give them a medal if they're making it all up. That takes some SKILL!
So no, I do not think non-bloggers understand blogging. If they did, they'd understand the amazing friendships one can meet through this little website :-)
Seriously...can I meet all these girls RIGHT NOW?? We can go shoe
shopping because I forgot to add shoes to the fashionable triangle solid pattern dresses.
So what do you think? How do you explain to non-bloggers the kind of friendships you make through blogger, and it's not a creepy site?!
Happy Weekending!








39 comments:
THIS is the most amazing post everrrrrr! We really need to make this meet up happen - I will totally bring my blue triangle cut solid print dress to wear.....as long as Chelsea wears that fabulous superwoman headscarf she's got on!
LOVE YOU Erica BOO BOO BOO!!!!!!
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!
As you can see from all the "w's" that I am in love with this! I love that you put me in pink too! ;) Yayayay!
Seriously, I have people that have said the same thing to me. The other day someone heard me mention that you and Sabrina were coming to visit and they stopped me and said, "Say what??? You're having strangers fly from complete opposites of the country to visit you!?!?!? Are you nuts!?"
I said, "They're real. They're awesome. And YES! They are coming and it's going to be a blast!"
:)
Tell Kurt that he is more than welcome to tag along too! :) I seriously cannot wait! TWO WEEKS MAMAS! YEEEEEEEEAH BUDDY!
I still can't get over this picture. I wish my arms were skinny like this in real life. Oh, and is my ankle broken? LOL! xoxoxo!
my ankle in broken too!! haha
This is so so funny because it's true! And honestly I have never even thought twice about it. when I planned my trip to tx and shay was like "You're staying with me, right" I was like... uhhh YEAH! WHy not!
I mean I think we know by now that we are real people. I mean that would be one ELABORATE scheme for some creepy dude to be texting me pictures of pretty girls and their boyfriends/husbands/dogs all day. Where would he find the time?!
I promise I'm not gonna go all psycho on your ass... unless you give me tequila :) just sayin...
you know I love ya and can't wait to see that cute face in real life!!
Sabrina Says
I have been stalking you waiting to read your post :)
I just loved this! It is SO true. Other’s just don’t really understand. I never thought that I’d make friends through starting a blog. Honestly, I didn’t even know it worked that way. But I am so glad it does and it has! And you made me laugh, “we can all go shoe shopping because I forgot to put shoes on…” hahaha. Oh and the picture of me. with my sweat ban on from halloween as an american gladiotor, just perfect. Touché Erica touché!
until we meet again. i mean FOR THE FIRST TIME! LOVE YOU!!!!!
This is such a cute post. I have yet to officially meet any blog friends in person, but I absolutely love emailing with blog friends and getting to know people through this little world. Everyone is so nice and welcoming! I've loved blogging so far, and I'm glad I took the plunge :) Happy Friday, girl!
Having just started my blog within the last 2 months, I already see what you mean. It's amazing, and I can't wait to have my first blate.
There totally is fear out there regarding the internet...
I mean, what, you AREN'T an old fat man who spends all day lounging in your skivvies??? Kinda disappointed. ;)
Honestly the ONLY thing that would make that piece of artwork better is shoes.
HAHAH umm we had VERY similar posts today. ALL of my friends thought I was insane for meeting Beth. Like get a grip freaks, do you think I'm dumb enough to meet up with a craiglist killer? (shout out Boston) There are some things you just can't fake ... although, watch the documentary Catfish and you will see people can make up an entire life via social media. Anywho .... LOVE the pic you did at the end hahahaha. NOT happy I can't come to Austin the weekend you'll be here. DUMB!
I absolutely love this Erica! You're so adorable!
Non bloggers don't get it. You make TRUE friends through blogging. I couldn't live without it now!! :)
xoxo!
GREAT post this is soo true.. my friend was like WHY do u blog?
why not? its like an open book to someones life..plus u can meet some AWESOME people..
glad im bloggy friends with u :)
This is awesome and so true! Everyone around me (real life) does not get why I love blogging so much. It's sad.
Yeah when I was going through all the drama with my husband's family his sister was like "the only people who think you're sane are the people you meet on your blog." and I just remember thinking "ok! I'll take it!"
Like THAT was supposed to be an insult or something. Geez- they know NOTHING ;)
Erin
Only 2 real life people know about my blog. But they don't get it either. I think it's awesome the realtionships that people make in the blog world.
So awesome you are meeting people in person.
I totally don't tell anyone that I blog. If I did, they would a) not get it or b) want to read it. Both are unacceptable. I don't really want my IRL friends to read it. I guess if they come across on it on their own, whatever. I was telling my friend about someone and I said I met them through my blog. He said, "What blog?" I said, "My blog" (DUH). He wanted the link, but I never gave it to him. Other friends would be like, it is the internet, be careful on what you post, that is scary. Pssshtttt! I love this network. It makes me feel like I know people in person, and I love having a little digital scrapbook and journal.
I totally agree! One of the things I'm looking forward to most about moving, is meeting new bloggers in the area. People who don't write blogs don't understand it at all!
I think it's become a lot more socially acceptable to meet people from the net in the last 5 years or so. Internet dating is huge and blogging is too! There are always going to be critics but I do think more people are accepting the idea of having friends over the internet. I love my blog friends!
So jealous that you guys get to all meet up and hang out! come to California and bring those beezies with you! I gots rooms yo!
its so true that non bloggers dont get blogging. i only have told a few of my real life friends about my blog because i feel like they dont understand the fact that i spend so much time talking to my blog friends!
awww I just love you! let's hang out ASAP... I promise I am not old.. but I might try to kidnap you!
You are so so so awesome! Bestest blog post I've read in awhile.
CarissaExplainsItAll
I love this.
I would also love to meet you and all of the above.
Blog friends are my favorite.
YESSSSSSSS!!!! Non bloggers just really don't get it!! People are freaking out about Michaela coming to stay with me and I'm just like, it's fine. I know her. Haha.
Y'all are all cuties!!
hi there! new to your blog and am just nodding my head in agreement over this post. my blog and etsy shop are my "part time jobs" and lots of people don't get the whole "why do you need followers" thing, or how i text and video sweet friends i've made. the internet is the greatest invention (except for epidurals) so we may as well capitalize on it. sisters are sisters!
So fun and so true. It's like having great friends that move away except you haven't physically met. Totally normal, plus you've picked some great friends. Your character must be awesome :) obviously.
Tabitha
my-cliffnotes.blogspot.com
I completely agree! My coworkers read my blog and when they say that one of my blog friends commented about wanting to meet me, they warned me that I had a stalker and needed to be careful. Ha! They just don't get it!!
I'm a new follower by the way! I have heard about your sweet dance moves and had to come see for myself :)
i totally agree!
new follower of your blog!
SO true!! Those who don't blog just absolutely do NOT understand! You create these relationships with people and you care about what is going on with their lives. I have friends who wonder how I can have an opinion - it is SO easy to get involved and wrapped up in someone's life by reading their blog!
great post girl!! =)
First time to your blog...and I love it! I just recently started blogging (with my 11 tiny followers) and my fingers are crossed that my experience is even half as good as yours! LOVE your posts! xo
Non-bloggers really just do not get it. It's cool. That is why we are such a specialized, happy bunch. :)
http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88
Ya'll got legs for days;)
Couldn't agree more!! I love blogging for that reason alone! There are so many great friends out there to meet through blogging! Love your blog and newly following!
Awww such a great post!!! And you're right. Non-bloggers NEVER get it. I seriously get depressed sometimes that some of my blogging friends don't live closer :(
AH-mazing! I have weekly phone dates with one of my blog bffs....no, we still haven't met in person, yes, we're very close friends :) usually when people ask who I'm talking to, I say "one of my blog friends." And leave it at that, no room for strange looks or weird comments. I love blogging and great bloggers (like you), so that's all that matters!
It's impossible for me to explain to my non blogging friends! I just give up eventually, because let's face it - the friends online are so much more fun ;)
Haha sometimes I think Brandon still doesn't get it. If I'm on twitter with one of you he always asks "are you talking to a blog friend?" Most of the time the answer is yes ;) Or he'll complain about taking outfit pictures lol. He is a trooper though. Other people just suck and will never understand blogging and the friendships that can be forged across the internet!
xoxo
ok so I totally thought I commented here. what the heck? anyway, blogging is the best. I mean, what would we do without it? Like, think back to before blogging. What did I DO with all my spare time?
its like life before kids. you just cant imagine it.
Girl...I only have one friend IRL that blogs. The rest think I'm a freak. Especially when I drove to Austin to meet 5 other girls from all over. We had been blogging friends and decided we all LOVE each other and HAD to meet. So we made it happen! WE had the BEST time! You know what my IRL friends thought? That I was a freak. You are so right. They don't get it! (Be we bloggers do!) ;)
Seriously! They don't! None of my IRL friends know about my blog anyway! LOL
But they don't know because they wouldn't get it!
Their loss! Blog friends are the BEST!
XOXOX
I am insulted that my face isn't on one of your awesome little drawings. INSULTED!!
Just kidding. :)
I know, some people just don't get it. But I think more and more people ARE getting it, especially younger peeps.
I swear, it's impossible to make up all the crap that we bloggers put on our blogs, and to have pictures to go along with it! Bloggers are real people, and the friendships are every bit as real, too. I am so thankful that I have this, because I've always had trouble making friends in "real" life. (my fault, cause I don't go and do enough shit.)
But anyway, I promise you that AT LEAST Shalyn is real! I can vouch for her! :)
Post a Comment