PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

10.15.2013

My parents surprise 30th anniversary party!

This past weekend was one for the books! :-) Let's back up to this past spring when one of my best friends Liz and her sister threw their parents a surprise 30th wedding anniversary party. I thought to myself, okay my parents 30th is coming up in October....I want to surprise them! So that's what my sister and I did this past Saturday---surprised the mess out of them!




Let's get one thing straight. My mom is the most DIFFICULT person in the world. My sister Lauren and I were quite worried about how we would pull this off and make sure 80 people kept their mouths shut!

The way we got our parents to the restaurant we had the party at, was by telling them I won a $300 wine tasting and wine basket at work to this restaurant and it was on a heated rooftop bar. We had to throw in the rooftop bit because the room for the party happened to be upstairs as well---so we had to make them come upstairs! Well, I made the mistake of telling my mom that my gift basket came with information on the tasting. She asked me to bring it over so she could see it, and yeah....I had to create some fake flyer/brochure thing to make her buy it. Ridiculous right!


If that wasn't bad enough, the night I came over to show her the wine information, she said I could call the restaurant to see what it was all about and to see if we could bring 10 people (my sister's boyfriend parents came up that weekend for the "long weekend" but were totally in on the surprise). I had to fake a call to the restaurant all while my mom's behind me saying things like "ask them this, ask them that." Told ya she was difficult! Thankfully my dad just went with the flow for everything.

The night of the party, I got there an hour earlier than my parents to greet all the guests and such, all while furiously texting my sister to make sure the plan was going to work. I got the text that they arrived and Kurt and I headed downstairs to the hostess stand to pretend like we had just gotten there and were waiting. I handed the hostess my fake flyer and she brought us up to the "wine tasting," and well, the rest is history! They had absolutely ZERO idea!!









My mom has the worst problem keeping eyes open in photos!

Lauren and I could not BELIEVE we pulled this off. My mom cried, my dad couldn't even SPEAK he was so shocked! The first thing my mom said was "I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN MORE DRESSED!"

We partied until almost 1 am with food, an open bar, cake, laughs and music! Just looking at these pictures from the night and seeing my parents, family and friends all celebrating 30 years of my parents, has me SO happy! It was such a fantastic night that I will never forget!

Photobucket

13 comments:

The Pink Growl said...

awwww I love this! What great role models too to have a 30 year marriage. You look like your sweet mama!

choose to be happy blog said...

Ok I am literally covered in goosebumps! You and your sister are so amazing! so amazing! oh my gosh. And that flyer your created! GIRL! You are creative! Such good, convincing work! I got nervous reading the part where you had to call the restaurant. Ahhh this was amazing. one for the books, I wish I lived closer to do something like this for my parents! happy anniversary to them!!! (my parents 32 anniversary was oct 3. Wooohooo for October anniversaries)!! xoxox

Renee said...

I can't believe you had to create a fake flyer and do a pretend call...I seriously would have been busted from the start! Your moms expression was priceless! Awesome!

Kristin Thompson said...

This looks like so much fun! I love the skirt you had on & the invitation is so cute! I'm glad it all worked out!

Kristin
Crumbs and Curls

Lauren said...

What a wonderful surprise!!!

Vicki said...

Looks like you guys did a great job!! Your Mom looked so surprised!!!

Pamela said...

Awww SO SWEET!!!!!! That is hilarious that you had to make a fake flyer!!!

Brittany said...

That is awesome that you pulled it off!! I can't believe all you had to go through to convince your mom! Too funny. Sounds like as really fun time :)

Melissa said...

This is literally the cutest thing I have ever seen. :) You're obviously a keeper!!

Kenzie Smith said...

What a fantastic anniversary surprise!!! I couldn't help but chuckle about how your mom kept asking all these questions :D

Brianna said...

this is so so awesome!! and oh my goodness you look just like your momma!! (I bet you get that a lot :) That flyer?! GENIUS!

Anonymous said...

That flyer! oh my gosh! so genius! You and your sister did an awesome job! Such a GREAT surpirse!

xoxo

Becky said...

Haha your mom did not make that easy!! I bet they were so touched you and your sister did that though :) Those pictures are awesome!! For mine and my twin's 17th birthday, my mom planned a surprise party for us and covered it up by having her friend tell us to throw HER a surprise party at her friend's house! Our birthdays are 2 weeks apart. Well my twin figured it out and when I was told me I was like OMG kiefer that's so selfish it is not for us!! We get to the party and surprise her and I'm all excited! then we go into the basement to "look at her new carpet" and all our friends were there! I didn't think I was so clueless until that day :P