PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

4.22.2013

True Life: I was an emotional wreck all week!

At about 5:00pm on Thursday, I was watching TV while running on the treadmill. It was like clockwork; at about 5:15...everyone at the gym came to a snails pace. The FBI had just released surveillance of the marathon suspects, and every TV station was playing it. Although the videos were grainy, they were good; and TV stations kept them on a running loop all night long.

As most of you know, it was an emotionally draining, exhausting beginning of the weekend in the world. Those men were out there, and now that their hideous faces were being plastered over the entire universe, they knew we were looking for them.

Kurt and I had been furiously listening to the Boston Police Department Police scanner...hoping, praying for something to come up about them finding these men. Thursday night we heard there was a shooting at MIT university. People all over Facebook were talking about it, saying "this is all just adding to the horrible week we've had." No one seemed to think it was connected to the terrorists. We went to bed about 1am, shortly after hearing the MIT cop involved had passed away; it was unbelievable, sad, awful, you name it.

I woke up around 7:00am to about 20 texts from family, friends, co-workers; texts ranging from "Oh My God Wake Up..." to "What are you doing?? are you okay? are you at work?"

One suspect dead, the other on the run
And that MIT shooting was conducted by them
Boston and surrounding towns were on lockdown
And I was scared SHITLESS

Because of Kurt's position at work, he was forced to go into the city. I grabbed at his arms as he tried to get ready, begging him to stay home, scared for my life---it was not pretty. You guys, I have never felt more scared in my entire life than I did on Friday. Police were sure he was hiding in a town about 20 minutes north from us, but how could they be so positive? He could have run anywhere.

I worked from home that day, texting Kurt every hour, updating his poor mother in New Jersey who was a wreck that he had to go into work, updating my family, you name it! He was finally able to get home around 4:00. 

As you all know, he was finally captured Friday night around 8:45. We were at my parents house listening to the scanner and watching the news---we screamed so happily when we heard the cops on the scanner say "we've got him." 



I never knew what it was like to feel such fear before. Fear for my family, friends, the victims, Boston, the world. But he is captured, and we are seeking answers, which can hopefully help some of us get through what has been one of the worst weeks Boston has ever been through.

Kurt and I visited the memorial site last night in Boston. I've been having a hard time with this whole thing, as everyone else is I'm sure, and felt like I just needed to go there. Some friends of mine have been "but you don't even live right IN Boston....you're 10 minutes South," and to them I'd just want to say that this has affected everyone---instilled a fear in all of us, no matter WHERE we live!

Boston scares me right now, unfortunately. A city I frequent so often whether it be for dinner, shopping, going out with friends, or just going for a drive, didn't seem the same to me. It felt sad, lonely, deserted. But at the same time, I saw the love, the strength, and the faces of people who were ready to build this city back up to what it was.






It's been such an emotional week!!
But you've all been here for each other, and that is just fabulous :-)

(Boston.com) 
(Boston.com)


Photobucket

16 comments:

Brittany said...

I am so glad that is over now and hopefully you can go back to feeling safe in your city!!

KRISTIN said...

I cannot imagine how scary this has all been for you! It's so scary for us, and we're thousands of miles away. I am so happy to hear that you and your family are safe and that they got the a-holes!

Ashley said...

So scary, but I'm ok you and your friends/family are ok! I hope you can get back to the point of feeling safe in your city - remember, it was 2 dbags(to put it tamely) that are no longer on the loose!!
All the footage and updates were played constantly in Canada too - just know your neighbors to the North care deeply about you ;)

Anonymous said...

So glad you and Kurt are alright! It doesn't matter WHERE these things happen...I'm in Ottawa, Canada and my heart was bleeding for all the people of Boston. It is a scary thing to have happen and it doesn't matter where you live, it usually affects everyone.

caroline odonnell said...

Boston PD is just the best aren't they?? I learned this week just how lucky we are to be Bostonians and MA residents. So glad this nightmare is over and so happy I finally worked up the courage to comment!!

Much Love.
-Caroline

Katie said...

I loved our texting sessions during the whole thing on fri! It made things even more exciting =) I was so happy for your city and SO proud! I know you'll regain your confidence and trust in the city again with time. I loves you and so glad you all are SAFE again!

Haley said...

Evan had to work on Friday as well, but fortunately he was south of the city so it wasn't as nerve racking. I can't even get over how close to home this happened.

Whitney Ellen said...

I'm so, so happy you're safe but I can't even imagine the trauma you've got to be feeling. <3 You've been in my thoughts the entire time... regardless of the "10 minutes south" thing!

Brooke said...

I am so glad you are safe! And I'm glad the madness is over so that you can go on and not be on edge. I know you are scared, I would be too. :)

Amy said...

I'm so glad that you and your family are safe! I completely agree, it doesn't matter WHERE you live, this type of thing affects everyone! Especially you, living so close!

Glad you guys can hopefully feel a little more at peace now that the person who caused this is caught!

Erin said...

I'm so glad you both are safe! 2 of our very best friends just moved to Boston when he finished his PhD and got a job with the government out there. I was texting her after the marathon and throughout the week to check on them and apparently they were only 5 miles from the shootout! I can't even imagine being in that position! So so scary!

ashleigh said...

okay im crying.. for you
no one should say "but you don't even live there" that is your city, you are close enough to "feel" what is going on. you feel the pain of everyone, i would be scared shitless too;
nothing wrong with that.
love you boo

K & J said...

Such a well written post!!! I didn't even know what to write myself due to my heavy emotions so I just did all pictures on my blog.
Because I work for a news station I was working nonstop all week. I will admit it was scary being in Boston. However our city came together and we caught those assholes!!!
BOSTON STRONG!!!!!
Kara XOXO

..And how much did you like Big Papi's speech Saturday!! I was at the game...VERY emotional.

Raquel said...

I'm so glad you all are ok!! I can't even imagine how terrifying all of this must of been. You were in my thoughts through all of this <3

Ashley said...

you are such a sweet woman miss erica!! this post was so well written and heartfelt. i am just so so so thankful that you are kurt are safe. love you to the moon and back!

Lauren said...

So glad you are both OK was thinking about you!!! <3