PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

4.16.2013

Boston is a tough, resilient town. So are its people.

Obama said that quote perfectly yesterday,
speaking of the UNBELIEVABLE tragedy that happened yesterday in my home state and city!


While it's normal for us to want to lash out on the coward(s) who did this to us,
(and yes, we will find out who did this to us)
It's important to note that Boston, and the rest of the world for that matter, 
come together during times like this

I saw photos and videos yesterday of marathon runners running BACK some blocks to help people
First responders running towards the blasts
Marathon nurses/doctors running around to assist people

(photo taken from The Boston Globe)

A friend of mine shared this with me yesterday, and then I saw it everywhere
Facebook, Twitter, news sites, TV stations
A Google document of locals reaching out to help, 
Offering those in need their email addresses and phone numbers to contact them for a place to stay


While we may constantly question why this world is the way it is, 
I couldn't be more proud of how we come together when we need to


There are no words for what happened yesterday...
I sat with my co-workers at work, watching it unfold on the TV.
We were confused, shocked, upset, sad---how could such a perfect day be ruined in a split second

My heart is so heavy for everyone affected by this unbelievable day
I still can't believe this happened HERE.

I'm so freaking scared. Scared to walk around my city again, scared to walk by a trash can
Scared to just do ANYTHING anymore!
But we can't let fear win.


I immediately contacted Kurt who works just a mile away from the explosion--thank God he was okay

I called my mom, whose off this week from work for school vacation week (she's a teacher)
I could not get through to her for 10 minutes due to high cell-phone activity.

I can't stress how panicked I got.

She was planning on watching at the finish line, but thankfully none 
of her friends wanted to deal with the crowds; an act of God if I do say so myself!


I love you Boston!
And I'm thinking and praying for my city and everyone

xoxoxo

Photobucket

14 comments:

Amy said...

Praying for your city, Erica :( Such a tragedy, but thankful that we can see the good in something someone intended for so much bad.

Maggie said...

I am glad you and all of your friends and family are okay.
Praying for your beautiful city!

Anonymous said...

SUCH a tragedy! Glad you and your family are okay!

BREI said...

Good to hear your family is ok. Praying for your city.

Stephanie said...

So well written love. Couldn't help but think of you and Kurt ALL day yesterday after I heard about this tragedy. So glad you are ok!! Love you! Don't be scurred of no trash can! ;)

The Pink Growl said...

I thought of you yesterday - glad to hear you and Kurt are safe and sound! Prayers for Boston!

Ashley said...

beautiful E - so glad you and kurt and your mama are safe and sound

Christina said...

My little cousin was running and was less than a mile away from where it happened. Insanity. Wishing I was near you both to give you big hugs! Stay strong. If it's too much, you can come stay w/ me!!

Dixie Bell Designs said...

praying for boston, im so glad everyone i know who was in the vicinity is okay too. you are right, boston is strong, and you have to think of the stories of good.

Brittany said...

So happy that you and your family are safe. I know how scary it is to be watching from afar, but for it to be your own city I think makes it so much more difficult. Praying for everyone involved.

caroline odonnell said...

I am a college sophomore at Holy Cross and have lived in MA (andover) my entire life. My brother lives in Boston and was at the scene, but safe thank goodness. I have loved loved loved reading your blog because its rather rare that bloggers are from MA. No one really knows what its like to be Bostonian... the certain magic that cannot be put into words. That is why it is so hard to explain how it affects us all so much that someone violated one of our greatest traditions. I so loved this post.... to see someone in the blog world actually dedicate an entire post to this tragedy was so heartwarming. I am so glad everyone you know is safe and thanks for your wonderful blog.. my entire floor at college follows your blog since we all cannot wait to be 20 somethings living in the best city in the world.

-Caroline

K & J said...

Wonderful post!!!!!
I had some friends in the race but they made it through safe. I was so worried for them when I saw this happen.
Working for a news station I've seen first hand stories on how our city came together. It was amazing.
Glad you and anyone you new near there was safe.
Kara XOXO

Raven said...

Love you Erica! So glad you are your family are safe...I couldn't imagine something like that happening in my home town, where I drive and walk around every day. You know you're always in my prayers!

Staci said...

Amen girl! I am so glad your people are okay & I am so sad this happened on your home turf!