PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

6.25.2012

Branching Out

Boston from the sea yesterday afternoon :-)
Saturday morning, I stumbled upon an old email from Boston Bloggers about a blogger meet up earlier this month. I think I had signed up for email subscriptions waaaay back when I joined the blog world over a year ago. As I read through the email for real, I absolutely kicked myself for not going. I'll be honest; I like to consider myself as an outgoing, friendly person, but sometimes branching out and meeting new people scares me, especially at different city blog meet ups.

I think what scares me the most is worrying about what other people will think of me. Yeah, I know that's a pretty shit-tastic trait to have, worrying what others think about you, but when you put your life out there for the world to see on blogland, it's a little intimidating! As I looked through about 100+ bloggers who blog in my city, I wondered why I hand't looked into it earlier. Granted, most of the bloggers are huge with 5 weezy-illion followers and are featured in Boston newspapers and magazines and all that jazz. I quickly pushed that fear out of my mind. Blogging is an amazing outlet to meet people and get over your fear of branching out. I mean, I did fly to Texas and drive to Ohio to meet some amazing girls...why can't I drive 10 minutes to meet people from my city! I don't think I'm THAT scary...


Is there anyone else with these silly nerves to meet other bloggers in your city? Any advice for city blog meet-ups?

Photobucket

14 comments:

Hilary said...

I haven't done any meetups, but that would definitely be my fear... and I'd be a ball of nerves. I always feel like people are judgmental based on follower counts, etc. But whatev...it's not like you have to wear a nametag with your GFC follower count next to it. ;)

Amanda said...

You're not alone in this, at all. I think getting out of your comfort zone is definitely hard... But honestly, I'd rather just have small blog meet ups rather than huge ones (with tons of bloggers). You don't get the quality time when it's a big group.

As for this weekend/beginning of next week, I'm going to be in Boston/Boston area if you're around :)

Courtney said...

Dude i think everyone is like that. I would take a really unique person to go into something like that without any intimidation. Im sure a meet would be awesome.

K said...

I feel the same way. It's a bit strange to meet new people! I used to go to Ohio for work and this blogger and I had talked about meeting for drinks. I didn't peruse it because I was shy and figured there would be another chance. But my boss switched jobs so I don't travel anymore. Bummer.

Unknown said...

I went to my first blogger meet-up when I was living in NYC and I was so nervous! I had a little tiny blog at the time with maybe 50 followers and a lot of these women had thousands of followers. But, I was blown away by how supportive they were and how much they wanted to encourage us smaller bloggers to grow our blogs. Since then I've quite a few other bloggers and every time it's been a wonderful experience. I recommend going next time there's a meet-up!

Raquel said...

You're not alone at allll!! I went to my very first big blogger meet up in DC in December, and I was so nervous I could shit my pants. It turned out to be so much fun and I met such amazing girls! You should definitely go to a meet up, they're really fun!

Unknown said...

I would gladly go to a local meetup! I'm barely an hour away from you and am in boston all the time! I'd like to think im friendly enough to make new friends even if i am super awkward most of the time :)

Ashley said...

this is SO me!! i always hear of meetups but never go. i'd much rather go meet the people i "talk to" every day BUUUT i still think it would be fun!!

why dont you fly to ATL and we'll go to a meetup together? mmkay!

and when you do, please wear you hair just that way -it's perf!

arianapia said...

i get nervous too! i need the link to this email subscription you speak of!

i have a measely 23 followers but want to branch out and go to these meetups for inspiration and someone local to look up to.

I am in this beautiful city as well. next time let's branch out together to these blogger meetups.

we can hold hands, ok? :)

Carolyn said...

We're planning a Minnie meet-up! You could practice and come to that! HAHAHAHA ;)

Carolyn said...

We're planning a Minnie meet-up! You could practice and come to that! HAHAHAHA ;)

Jilli said...

I've stumbled across your blog. I'm on vacation, in drastic need of updating mine! I've yet to make my blog fully public because of my job. I have been nervous in the past about blogger meet ups; but one literally lived 5 miles away from me! I've known some of my blogger friends for almost ten years (live journal) & we've become super close!

Lindsay said...

Are you in my head?? I feel the same way about blogger meet ups! I always think it would be fun to go and then I stop myself from signing up and my thought process goes a little like this:

"Ohh that would be fun! Meet some new people!"
"I can't go by myself... I'm too 'shy' for that."
"What if I went and everyone already knew each other? And I had nobody to talk to?"
"What if they're not who they say they are and I'm really walking into a trap and going to die?"

etc, etc....

Clearly I have issues.

SGRMSE. said...

i wish there were blogger meet-ups in my city. although, i do sortakinda have the same trait as you. i'd probably just not even end up going. lol! NICE HAIR, by the way ;D