PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

6.07.2012

The perfect engagement ring

Before you guys go ape-shit and think I got engaged, relax! No, Kurt has not decided to get down on one knee and whisper sweet words of wedding bells in my ear and tell me how much he can't wait to decide between lilies or lilacs and how he wants sew our wedding date in all of his undies.


Trust me when I say this. Kurt has no idea about anything with weddings. He didn't even know sometimes couples have more than one bridal shower. Hmm

Okay before I go throwing Kurt under le bus, let me fess up and say I don't know much about weddings either. I know what looks nice, I know what I don't want, and I know I definitely want something like this somewhere in my wedding venue (preferably close to my table).


But my question for all of you beautiful friends, how the effing F do you decide what type of ring you like?

From our very rare conversations on engagement and marriage, Kurt has already told me that I will have ZERO idea when it is coming, nor will he give ANY hints, nor will we ever go try on rings together. I kind of like that :-) I like the element of surprise, but that's just me! Everyone is so different and that's what I love when I listen to people share their engagement stories.

But what he has told me, is that even though he kind of knows what I like as far as jewelry, he would like a tiny bit of insight in what type of rings I like. So am I saying it's coming soon? Probably not. Maybe in the next year and a half? We'll see!


How do you decide what type of ring you like? Besides the obvious, meaning going to the store and trying them on with your girlfriends or by yourself. Even if you aren't engaged or married, do you know what you like?

What are things to think about? Getting it snagged on your panties as you pull them on? Cutting your loved ones body when you wrap your arms around them? Making sure it sparkles juuuuust right in perfect summer sunlight? One stone? Two stone? Three stone? 1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila floor?


 I need some insight here :-)

Photobucket

30 comments:

Hilary said...

for me, timeless not 'trendy' :) EXCITING!

Jess said...

Like Hilary, I wanted timeless not trendy. What I recommend is going to look at rings by yourself if he doesn't want to go with you. You may find that certain rings don't look good on your hand. The 3-stone rings that were super popular when I got engaged looked awkward on my hands. As did anything with a thick band, because I have little hands.

K said...

Yeah... I second the suggestion to go try them on. There are some rings that I absolutely LOVE but they just don't look right on my hand. Also, think of your activity level. I knew that I was a klutz so something big and tall wouldn't work. Which doesn't really matter since I smack mine of everything anyway. Bottom line though... you're going to love whatever he gives you because it will mean something.

Virginia said...

As all the other girls said, timeless would be best so that you don't tire of it too quickly, but you could always as for an "upgrade" hahaha If I were you, I'd go try them on. My co-worker thought she knew exactly what she wanted, until she tried one on and it did not look good on her. Gorgeous ring, just not for her. Good Luck!

Jamie said...

Go with a girl friend and try some on!

P!nky said...

WOW, too funny! My man sounds the same as kurt. And honestly I'm like, if it's all a suprise shouldn't the ring be one too?

To which he answers "you have to wear it the rest of your life!" touche bf touche.

I agree with timeless not trendy, but I've never tried on rings. Honestly I looked at google or pinterest for types and cuts. I like the today, tomorrow, forever set and a princess cut personally.

But I think EVERYONE's engagement ring is gorgeous, because it fits them!

holy novel! good luck! xoxo

The Michelle Show said...

Haha I actually didnt get enegaged we more kind of just decided to get married... and then my cutie husband went and proposed to me DURING OUR WEDDING! No joke, before he anounced us husband and wife he stopped him, got down on one knee and proposed to me.. adorbs!

My ring is flat (no popping out diamond) and has been in his family for 87 years! Its yellow and white gold woven together with diamonds inside. I love it because it doesnt get snagged on anything haha

Stephanie said...

Oh child! I just love you! "1 tequila, 2 tequila, 3 tequila" hahahaaha

Soooo I really think you "just know". As broad as that sounds...I always knew I wanted princess cut (square). I only tried on princess cuts and loved them all.

I didn't, however, know that I wanted 3 stones until I tried it on and fell IN LOVE and couldn't stop thinking about it 24/7. I always thought I'd be a 1 stone kinda girl. I REALLY think you should just try some on...really. You do NOT want to be stuck with something you don't LURRRRVE so that's my best advice. Beau wanted it all to be a surprise and didn't want me to know a thing about it but he also knows how I am when it comes to jewelry. Every piece is SO sentimental and I knew that I would be heartbroken if I didn't absolutely love it and felt like I needed to take it back for something different. (Maybe I'm a bitch for thinking this, maybe not. I got my way and that's all that matters lol)

REally...just walk in somewhere and try them on. You would be SHOCKED to know how many girls do this either by themselves or with their girlfriends!

OR! You could just remind yourself how much you loved mine or Katie's when you wore ours! LOL

EEEEEEEEEEE!! I'm so excited! I love wedding talk. Can you skype me in for your big day? Please?!

Stephanie said...

PS-excuse the novel.

Stephanie said...

PPS-I just wanted to leave a 3rd comment in a row.

Melissa said...

GO TRY THEM ON!! Best advice ever given to me. I thought I wanted something timeless like most people mention but as soon as it was on my hand, I hated it. It just wasn't me at all. I found the same about 3 stone rings, I just didn't like the look of them on my hand. It may sound weird but take a girlfriend and just go browsing for the day :) It will give you a great idea of what you want and what looks good on your hand. They can also size you so you don't have to give up your ring as soon as you get it :)

Katie said...

Agree with everyone else my love...take a girlfriend or go alone and just try them on at multiple stores! No one will think it's weird, trust me. I'd actually prefer to go alone because then your girlfriends opions of rings aren't swaying your opinions. Some rings just do not look good on some hands and you'll find that out! You'll gravitate towards a certain style. Trust me when I say go for what you are OBSESSED with and LOVE. Don't just play it safe. You need to LOVE the style. Try on things you never thought you'd like, too. then send me pics and I'll give you honest answer! :)

Raven said...

BIG!

shay said...

i like raven's comment... hehehe. just kidding! but i agree with all the other girls in telling you to go try some on. i would also suggest bringing your man, so he KNOWS what you like. i tried on a few rings with my husband- so he knew the style i liked, but when it came to picking it in the end, he chose what he thought i'd like, and i loved it.

i definitely think you want to be happy with the ring, as its something you will wear the rest of your life and maybe even pass on. also i think your guy will want you to love it and show it off too.

Kelly B. said...

This may be long. sowwy.

The thing with "timeless" v. "trendy" is.. I THOUGHT I considered mine more modern (princess cut, with a halo of smaller diamonds, 2 thin bands that fork to meet the main one, with 2 smaller diamonds in the middle), and 3 people have told me it looks vintage or antique. So does that make it timeless? No matter what, in 10 years, someone will look at my ring and know I didn't get engaged just last month, or maybe even within the decade. It's just how it goes. Styles change. Does it matter to me? No. Because then I know that the ring is 10 years old and out of "current" style because we've been married for 10 wonderful years.

If you're really unsure, definitely go try some on. But think of what shapes you gravitate towards. I personally like geometric, modern, which meant square. Beyond that.. "cut" didn't matter a lot to me.

Also, M (my fiance) was the same way.. he didn't want me to have a clue, he didn't want to go ring shopping.. SO when he'd see me on the computer and an ad on FB would be for a ring he'd ask "is that a 'nice' ring?"..OR I'd comment on friends' rings. maybe Kurt will do similar things?! If so, TAKE the opportunity to steer him. You gotta be shameless if he doesn't want to shop with you.

and actually, M found my ring on my pinterest board. So there's an idea. hahaha. I was next to him on the couch one night pinning things to a food board and he saw I had a wedding board.. so he googled my email address + Pinterest and found my board.. I'd pinned a ring from Shane Co. (had no idea it was from there) so he pulled it up on his pad, walked in, and said "I want this one." .... I will say that it made the whole moment SO great because I had NO idea it was coming. Ok, sorta lie, when he was driving over to the place we first met, 2 years to the day of the anniversary we first said "I love you" I knew something was up..but you get my point.

worlds longest comment, over.

Lauren said...

I would say don't get Miley's engagement ring, you can do better.

Other than that I think it just totally depends on your personality. I have a ring I love a lot with a big diamond (okay it's not really big, but I mean it has one bigGER than the other diamonds center stone) and lots of little ones. I was set on a princess cut because, I'm a princess. Not really but I just liked the look of it.

That being said, I bought a fake ring for our honeymoon. A QVC CZ special that has a super thick band and almost looks like a ring you would get for winning a pro bowl game. I would have never bought a real one like this, but truth is, I freaking love it. I get compliments on it all the time and I've kind of grown to love it almost more than my actual "real" ring. At first I thought it looked fake, but based on all the compliments I get from rich peeps, I guess it just looks fake to me because I know I couldn't afford it if it were real haha.

Carolyn said...

I always assumed that Jake would ask my friends for insight on my ring (which is why they ALL knew exactly what I wanted) but he didn't! He picked out (and designed!) my ring all on his own, so it was a COMPLETE surprise. It's not what I thought I wanted, but I fell in love with it instantly!! I say just go to a website, or google search and get an idea. Figure out what shape diamonds you like. I think that's the most important piece. I'm a princess cut myself. ;)

Christina said...

Start browsing tiffany.com and look for some! hahah just kidding, they are SO freaking expensive. But check out other websites and find a cut you like. There are some cool sites that you can design your own and play around with them. :)

Rachel said...

Will you love your ring in 50 years? think about that when deciding. I told my then boyfriend, now husband the exact ring I wanted, how many carats and where exactly he could find it. Some people want to be surprised and want their future husband to decide. I didn't want to look at my ring everyday and resent it because it was ducking ugly. We're both happy with it. :)

Lia Joy said...

This made me laugh out loud. I have pretty small hands, so I knew I wanted something dainty. (ie: either a solitare stone or thin band of some sort) We never went to look at rings together, but we did talk about it. My husband ended up proposing to me with my grandmother's engagement ring. SO special!

AllyValdez said...

I really wanted rose gold--I looked FOREVER. One day, you will see a ring and just love it. I couldn't stop thinking about the one I wanted. NOW I stare at it everyday.

Ps. Being married is the best. TRY it. NOW because you and kurt are TOO cute!

xoxo
allymullin.blogspot.com

Megan O. said...

I would agree and say trying them on is your best bet. However, I would say it's also something you kind of you know. Just think of any ring you love, the shape, size, style, etc, and that's the ring style you should go for :) And like you and Kurt I didn't want to know when I was getting engaged (because it's way more fun and surprising), and we did not do any ring trying on at all! I only told Kev the few diamond cuts I did NOT like and he did the rest! Maybe you should go with the things that you don't like and let him fill in the blanks?! When the time comes of course :)

KRISTIN said...

Tell him BIG and SPARKLY! :) I cannot frickin wait for the day that you two get engaged! I will be crashing that party FOR SURE!

The Pink Growl said...

I wanted something that looked "antique" almost, but wasn't actually antique. My fiance actually surprised the shit out of me because he picked out my ring BY HIS SELF. I had NO idea it was even coming or that he was brave enough to do that. I was impressed and I love my ring!

Whim Wham Life said...

anything with the biggest, sparkliest rock you can get!:-) Get that ICE girl! hehe.

just kidding.

kind of.

I'm a solitaire kind of girl. Simple. Classic.
I've seen some amazing vintage looking pieces out there as well!
Go try some on! xoxo

Lindsay said...

I'm not engaged yet either but I like to go online from time to time and look at rings... and I may or may not have downloaded the Tiffany's Engagement Ring app and sent numerous pictures of rings that I like to the bf...

BUT THAT WASN'T YOUR QUESTION.

Ummm I guess I just kind of search through everything and pick out what I like and don't like from all of the rings that I see. Maybe it's a little easier to look at stuff and decide what you definitely DON'T like/want in a ring? I know that I definitely love diamond bands, but don't want a channel setting... and I want a solitaire... and that's about all I know!

Sooo basically I just wrote the world's longest comments. Whoops! haha

Happy ring searching :)

Amie said...

For me it was like...what do I want to look at every day for the rest of my life? I knew I wanted silver, not gold. I loved the three stone look but when I tried on a three stone ring I didn't like it on ME. I knew I wanted little stones on the band, not just a plain band. I knew I hated marquis cut and that was about it :) I would just tell him if you want silver or gold, plain band or not, and look at stone cut types to tell him if there are any you love or hate. Then let him go from there!

Ashley said...

getting it snagged on my panties is also my largest concern with my rings. hahaha i love you!

as long as it's large enough to make me walk with a limp i dont care.
haha juuuust kidding!!

i say you pin a few sparklers and just happen to leave that pinterest page up...it's subtle....ish!

dude we are so throwing you a blogger bachelorette party! i will buy an extra plane ticket so blow up kurt sex doll can ride with :)

kelsie tribble said...

I just got engaged and didn't have a CLUE what I liked/wanted before he pulled out that ring box. But as soon as I looked down and saw the ring, I knew that I couldn't ever love anything else more. I think that knowing a ring is YOURS and knowing that you are getting married makes you fall in love with any ring. Don't stress.. you may think he doesn't have a clue--but I bet he is even more stressed about finding the perfect ring than you'll ever know!

Unknown said...

LOVE YOUR BLOG!
When my boyfriend {now husband} decided it was "time" he asked me little questions. But I say go for timeless over trendy - and go for quality over size. You can have a huge 4589 carat ring but if that baby doesn't sparkle and shine it is crap. I like how mine blinds me when I drive from time to time. The stone is only 1 carat but boy does that bitch shine!
xoxo - B