PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

6.19.2012

That time Kurt and I were almost millionaires

Let me preface this post with the following:

1) Kurt builds his own computers. 
2) Kurt went to college for computer science.
3) Part of our bookshelf looks like this:

No idea what half this crap means

Okay back to my story. And I swear there is a point to my preface. So Kurt and I frequently drive down to visit his family in New Jersey. It's about a 4 hour ride. While most of it is spent rapping every song imaginable by Eminem or singing to Jimmy Buffet, sometimes we do actually have meaningful conversations.

This was about a year and a half ago. We were somewhere in Connecticut on our way home, and Kurt and I started talking about how we wish we could invent something no one had. I started rattling off all these things that I thought were so cool, but Kurt rained on my parade and said they already exist.


Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. Kurt knows technology. He reads technology books like girls read 50 Shades of Grey. I said he should invent an iPhone/Android game application. I came up with this fantastic game idea and how he could design the cutesey features and make it a strategic game.  He was SOLD.

Time goes on. I tell everyone about our fantastic idea. Kurt glances at a book on creating phone applications once and a while. Meanwhile, I ask everyday what the progress is. Has he figured out how to code? Does he know how to make the cute little man I created in my mind? Nope; laziness took over and he just never got around to it.

Yes he will

Fast forward to about a month ago. I'm sitting at work, having completely forgotten about our game idea. I get a text from my sister and she said "Search for Bag It! in the app store...isn't this the game Kurt wanted to make?" I searched it, and then threw my cell phone into kingdom come.

That was the game idea we thought of almost 2 years ago!
No lie.
A grocery bagging strategy game!


And now some schmuck is wiping his bum with $100 bills because Kurty bear was too late to the party.

Anyway, the point of this story and the reason I'm telling you now is because I just downloaded the app today; and it's awesome. It is exactly what I was picturing.

But hey, ya win some ya lose some! Kurt, if you are reading this, please create an app that turns boyfriends into application creating machines. Love you! 

Photobucket

18 comments:

Michelle said...

Aww!! I'll have to check out that game! Tell Kurt to get a move on with another app idea! :)

XOXOXO

Jess said...

I think it is SO funny how similar Kurt is to Ken. and I think Ken has the same t-shirt. and he totally fixes my computer ALL the time - even my work computer!

Nobody said...

HILARIOUS!! I've thought of some pretty amazing inventions.. like fuzzy underwear (like the socks.. but not) that we [a.k.a people who like to walk around naked] can wear in the winter to keep our bums warm..

Katie said...

HJAHAHAHA I just love you 2! Billy has done this. He says he thought of the "digital picture frame" before anyone else. I think there was something else too but I forget. He even had invention books back in the day. So pretty much let's just team up and create something and split the profs. mmkk? xoxoxo

Courtney said...

so frustrating! i swear the same thing has happened to me before, just not with apps. do you ever watch shark tank? i love it but then get pissed because these people have ideas that seem like such a no brainer, yet nobody has actually patented/mass produced it before and then they just become millionaires! one guy on that show is the guy who started copa wines..not sure if you've ever seen them in the store, but its basically wine by the glass....i mean, DUH.

arianapia said...

how funny is that?!?!?

you could make a game for packing the trunk with suitcases. that is one of my favorite real life things to try and figure out. really it's a challenge we all love i think!

if kurt's writes the program just give me a shout out, would ya?!? haha

Carolyn said...

OMG! How frustrating! HAHA I'm going to have to check this game out though!

Hilary said...

HA! That sucks. Have you seen Shark Tank? We watch it religiously and try to come up with stuff - failure so far...!

Whitney @ EHFAR said...

Hahaha... I love this game!

Back in high school (around 2003), I thought it would be cool to have a site where everyone has profiles and you connect with each other. I had no idea even how to execute it, so I forgot about it. Enter myspace and facebook. If only...

Amber said...

LOVE his t-shirt! I swear I should find one or get one made for J! He also went to school for computer "something or other" and is constantly getting IT calls, txts, etc.

Hope you have a good week!

Ashley said...

this seriously had me laughing out loud!

the fact you that you all came up with this idea to begin with and then someone really made it! OMG!!

and Kurt's shirt is priceless!!! you two better get back to brainstorming so you can start shaking those dolla dolla bills around!

Muah - loved your comment today and LOVE YOU....to the moon and back ya!!!

Unknown said...

Something similar happened to my husband. But it had to do with a graveyard and sharing the stories of the people in their through technology. Sadly someone beat him to the punch we found out about a month ago. I bought the game! It is cute.

My-cliffnotes said...

Whoever made the app owes you BIG.

Going to go buy the game.

Tab

Ashley said...

haha Hilar! my BF and I are always trying to think of new things to invent lol

Anonymous said...

That's too funny that someone else came out with the game you guys were thinking of years ago. I'm constantly trying to come up with something awesome to invent, but I usually pull up blanks. Haha!

Michelle said...

i'll check it out - millionaires in my mind!

Anonymous said...

Clearly it was someone you told otherwise how would it be exactly as you imagined. I'd say someone is keeping it secret and you should find out which person it was you told that turned around and made it themselves.

Hollie Ann said...

I didnt know kurt is a computer geek!! mine is too!!!!

and he writes iphone apps.......

.....really
hahahhaha.

they JUST hired another developer? at his company in NYC.

kurts probably happy with his job but if he's not... i'll finally be able to say "i know someone" ;)