PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

6.18.2012

Playing tourist

I've lived right outside of Boston for 23 years and I don't think I could ever get sick of my city.




Yesterday Kurt and I walked around Boston and I dragged along Candy (my camera; yeah we're on a first name basis here!)

I have to admit. When I see people lugging around giant SLR cameras and camera bags and lenses and lens cleaners and shirts that say I HAVE A CAMERA (just kidding about that last part), I automatically assume they aren't from here. Then I usually try and listen for a cool accent. But then I look down at myself holding my own camera. Well, shit. I live here. I'm not visiting. I just love my city!





Sometimes it's fun to play tourist. To walk around and see parts of your home that you normally walk past or never notice. You live where you live, why not make the best of it? I am so happy my city has so much beauty, history, and energy! Boston never disappoints!




The first time Kurt's parents came up to visit us, we gave them the grand tour. We were headed into the Boston Common and we smelled something distinct. It got closer. And then I got the munchies so bad I ate the shirt off Kurt's back. It was HEMPFEST. People were just chillin, smokin' doobies like nobody's business. Guitars were a-strummin, and people were living life.

Let me tell ya, it was a pretty interesting way to introduce them to Boston but nonetheless, they fell in love.

I think Boston has that effect to it. You come here, and you love it. But then again, I could just be susceptible to beautiful cities. Case and point; Austin and Columbus. Went to both cities this past year and just fell in loooove!

Do you ever play tourist in your own city?



Photobucket

19 comments:

Katie said...

I'm with you woman! If I lived in Boston, I'd totally be a tourist. These pics make me miss it (and you!) so much. Boston is our favorite!! Be back sooooooon :)

Ashley said...

i SO need to play tourist in my own town! maybe then I wouldn't get lost in it so dang much! baaahston is SO pretty!! and i love that starfish necklace....GA-lam!!

when i visit you i'm going to carry around my 5 inch digital camera and talk with an australian accent in hopes to impress you! haha

arianapia said...

i love boston! have lived her all 29 years of life and cannot get enough. it is so beautiful and has so much history. i don't think i could ever leave!

beautiful pictures...if i had a camera as nice as yours, i'd be carrying it around everywhere i go too!

ashleigh said...

I love being in my own city and being a tourist!

KRISTIN said...

Love it! I want to visit SO bad! Go Celtics. :)

Heather said...

Boston is one of the places I have always wanted to go! It just seems to be filled with so much history... and lots of cool bars! :)

Christina said...

ahhhhhhh you make me miss massachusetts!! Love the pickles pic!!

Carolyn said...

I love the idea of playing tourist!! :)

brynn said...

i have wanted to go to boston FOREVERRRRR...feel free to post touristy pics whenever :)

also you do know that houston is way better than austin, right? ;)

So shay said...

I CAN'T WAIT TO VISIT YOU IN BOSTON! I will so be tourist camera crazy! And the fact it will be Halloween will be even better. I can't even imagine the insanity! Hey maybe we will run into Jenna Marbles haahhahahaa. Wishful thinking. Pretty pics my love! I miss you and I'm counting down the days!

Ashley said...

Boston looks amazing!!! Definitely on my bucket list of places to visit :) I love how much you love your city! It gets me excited to move to one!

Lindsey said...

What a fun idea! I love that you did this and I want to copy cat you. As you know, Boston is on my must-visit list and it stays there. If I am not there within the next 3 years, I will cry. I must visit.

Raquel said...

I LOVE Boston! I haven't been there in forever. I hope to go back soon!

I'm always touristy in my city, DC. I'm constantly taking pictures of the monuments and buildings :)

Heidi said...

I love playing tourist. I always make fun of them, but I love joining in. How else can you enjoy all that your city has to offer but by being a tourist. My husband and I love spending the day doing exactly this!

Unknown said...

I grew up in MA and I will always feel that way about Boston too...I'll never get sick of it!

Now that I live in DC, I play tourist every once and a while too. It's fun to go out and enjoy the attractions in your city.

Courtney said...

How fun. I always feel like such a loser when I drag around my big canon. But im always happy to have pictures of everything!

Michaela said...

Always fun to do this!! Like a few weeks ago when I was showing Ashley around Seattle...just love experiencing the city through someone else! You took some great pictures, girl!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great place.

Emmett Katherine said...

It's great to be a tourist in your own city & appreciate what it has to offer. I've always wanted to visit Boston, it seems like it would be an interesting place.