PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

1.18.2012

The skinny on being skinny

So the other night I was at a wicked intense Zumba class. I mean intense as in my abs feel like they are going to explode out my stomach and I did more kegal exercises than I can handle (seriously...we have to do them for some of the moves in order to make them work hahah)

My instructor said something that really hit me:  

If you come to class not wanting to learn and push yourself, you're only punishing yourself

I can't tell you how TRUE this is!  Because I was just like that a few years ago!

Growing up, I was constantly doing sports. Gymnastics, volleyball, soccer, basketball, golf. I was always tiny. Always skinny. And frankly always hated for it.  My metabolism was non-existent. I could eat Chili Cheese Fries from Johnny Rocketts and a hamburger and nothing would happen. Sometimes I'd make Ramen when I got home from school at 3 or 4 PM and then eat dinner at 7 with my family and again, no weight gain!

 Circa highschool

When I got to college my freshman year, I didn't play any sports and figured my metabolism would be on my side. Unfortunately, I gained about 10 pounds during my freshman and sophomore year which doesn't seem like a lot to some, but it was to me, and it showed! I felt disgusting and gross and hated myself. It was the first time in my entire life that I had ever hated something about myself and that was scary. I'd go to the gym and walk on the treadmill for 5 minutes and that was it. Or I'd do 20 situps and then give up. It was pathetic.

I remember driving by the gym one day my sophomore year and it just hitting me. I needed to get back into shape. I worked my butt off sophomore year and lost the 5 pounds, and lost the rest over the summer. I can't tell you how healthy I felt! Plus I was eating better too...no more late night excursions to McDonalds with boyfriends who will never gain a pound (yeah I'm talking to you Kurt!)

 Yep that's an entire container of ice cream


If there was one thing I could tell you besides motivation that helped me get rid of those pounds, it was working out. Plain and simple. I went to the gym with my roommates with little cut-out workout cards from Cosmo Magazine (you know those things!?) and tried new workouts. I seeked help and ideas from friends who were athletes. I put headphones in with no music and listened to personal trainers train their trainees (proooobably not allowed but hey!)

But now, as good as I feel about myself, there are still some things that are really devastating to hear:

"You have no reason to work out. You're skinny!"
"If you keep working out you're going to wither away"
"You don't need to be on that treadmill...go eat a big mac"

The only thing I have to say to those people is that I'm being healthy and loving my body! You only get one body...why not treat it right?

So no matter what body type you have, embrace it! Work for it! I don't listen to what people say when they tell me to stop eating a salad and eat a burger. Hey! I happen to like salad! ;-) I'm proud of what I've been able to accomplish with my body and I think if you love your body, you should say so!




Do you love your body?!

Happy Hump Day!
Photobucket

42 comments:

P!nky said...

PAH-REAH IT SISTAH!!!! You and I are sooooo alike in this aspect...or were till last year on my part.

In college I was the SAME WAY! Eat whatever I wanted, went to soccer practice and never gained a thing. I wanted to get more toned so I did tae bo and I started to get cut. And hated on!

I hate the judgement petite fit women get. We work hard to stay fit, but sometimes it's just genetics and you get lucky. I mean Victoria Secret models...yeah lucky!

Okay, this is long, but I just wanted to say THANKS for sharing and keep up the great work. You've got a banging body...you should be proud!!!

xoxo

P!nky said...

*PAHREACH!!!

Ashley said...

Erica, you could not be more right! I'd def have to say I have a love/hate relationship with my body, but its getting better! I have to push myself when working out or else I'll get lazy for sure! Thats why I love me some Zumba - bestest workout in da world!

you are a lil' hottie miss thang ;)

Samantha said...

So, so, so happy that I decided to read your blog post first thing this morning!! I am in the SAME boat as you!!! I am and always have been insanely skinny. I always played sports in high school, then college came around and I stopped. I gained a few pounds (but not in nice areas like i'd like - boobs, butt, thighs) but my stomach!!! I HAVE A GUT!!!! I am just starting to work out again and of course the typical "go eat a big mac" or "stop working out, you're going to wither away" comments start! I work out bc I like the energy it gives me, not bc I think i'm fat! Good grief. If anyone can relate to you, it's me!

Sam :)

Petchie said...

What a great post! I definitely agree with what you say about embracing your body and working for it!

xoxo
Petchie
http://itsallofthelittlethings.blogspot.com/

Hilliary Meisner said...

This is a wonderful post! I was much the same way I could eat and eat and not gain a pound. I didn't have the realization however until after college. Thats when I gained my weight. I am in the best shape I have ever been in, and while I still have self confidence issues, I am so much happier now! Thanks for sharing!

Jenni@Story of My Life said...

Great post my dear. You do what's best for you and your health and your state of mind and just shake off any negative comments. People are mostly just ignorant, and it's not really their fault. :)

Lindsey said...

No I don't and never have. Isn't that sad???

You looks amazing, I've always told you this so shake them haters off. When I am there though, we better eat some good Boston grub!!!!

Alicia @ To Columbus and Beyond! said...

Love this! You are so right about just loving and accepting yourself for who you are. I have realized I have huge hips, so I'm going to embrace those bad boys and not lose any sleep over it. :)
Thanks for sharing!

Katie said...

Aww Erica! Totally feel you here. No matter what size you are (tiny or not) people should always do what they can to feel THEIR best. the definition of best is different for everyone and working out is so important!! so glad you love your Zumba.... I think I'm going to try it this weekend which should be priceless bc I have ZERO RHYTHM!!

Michelle said...

great post! Everyone should just be happy.

Rissy said...

you're my skinny inspiration... and I have to admit that it makes me feel a bit better that you do work for it. I said just last night that if I could be a little twiglet, I'd be so so happy.

I want to take Zumba with you!!!


CarissaExplainsItAll

Lauren said...

I love how it's always the super insecure, often times bigger than they'd like to be, people telling me I need to eat something. I gained weight in college, and I lost it (thank God) but it took me stepping back from the booze and early morning McD's hangover cure for that to happen. I gained 35lbs when I was pregnant and lost it BFing and doing a lot of walking... and now that I'm pregnant again everyone is telling me I need to eat cheeseburgers. Umm, yeah, because you'd like me to get fat and have a hard time losing this baby weight. It's hard anyway!! It takes time even if it's relatively easy for you, or you're BFing. So, of course I will indulge in my cravings as necessary but I'm trying to load up on fruits and veggies as much as possible and go to the gym as much as possible - and it's not just about the scale, it's about being healthy.

CALLIE said...

Just the motivation I needed to continue on my little get healthy journey. I slacked off for the last monthor two at the end of the year, so I have been going hard core with the work outs and trying be more healthy. Something I am not good at!! Thanks for the motivation :)

Whim Wham Life said...

yeah girl yeah! I'm right there with ya! I've pretty much had the same figure since, well, all my life. I remember it took me a loooong time to really like my tall gangly ol' self with no curves. Only recently did I get some boobs going on:-) Thanks pregnancy. It's amazing though...people think being skinny means your healthy. not so much. You can be the skinniest twig ever and have absolutely zero endurance/stamina/muscle ability. Cheers to hitting that gym hard! You look fantastic! xoxo

KRISTIN said...

Love this!!! I am finally getting back to working out (hello 90 minutes of frickin yoga?) to get rid of the chunky monkey! I too hate when people say "You don't need to lose weight!" It's not like I want them telling me I DO need to lose weight but just appreciate that I am working on being healthier and happier with myself. A simple "good job" would be lovely. :)

J and A said...

Love this post. Working out just makes me feel better, even if I am not at my ideal body yeat, it makes me feel like I am on my way. :)

dottie said...

Ohhh! I love the headphone on with no music to pick up some tips. Good one! I should try that. Only, I would have to write it down to remember. UGH. Ha, ha!

Carolyn said...

I so agree with this! I hate when I hear people talking about how "that girl needs to eat a cheeseburger... she's too skinny" or "that girl needs to stop eating and go work out". Both are horrible and mean. Maybe one girl does need to gain weight, and maybe one girl does need to lose weight... but who are we to judge!?!?! I think every person should concentrate on loving their bodies.

What a great post girlie!!

Pamela said...

Love this!! Thank you SO much for saying everything that you just said. I am in the process of trying to get back to loving my body. I go to Zumba too & love it. Love the headphones comment, ha! :)

Oliviaaa said...

great post. i'm working on loving my body!

Diana Doyle said...

Erica,

I have a body like yours and have endured the same comments my whole life.

I've just learned not to listen to the people. Even though I'm thin, I still want to work out, build muscle and tone.

I joined a gym 2 weeks ago for the first time in my life and am amazed at how it is changing.

You are gorgeous! Thanks for the inspiration today...I'll remember your words about punishing yourself, how true!

Have a fabulous day
love
Diana x

NeuroticLover said...

Honestly? I really needed to read this post today. I go back and forth with the motivation to work out but lately I just can't seem to muster up the energy. Thanks for telling me what I already know, but have been to lazy to follow up with! :)

Laynah said...

Do I love my body...um, are you serious? ha. This is a really good post. I really needed help finding the motivation to make a workout routine and more importantly, STOP eating JUNK...and I think that leopard bikini picture did the trick haha.

Shayna @ The Fancy Yancey said...

I am so glad you posted this today! I've been sooo unmotivated lately that it's not even funny! & I'm headed to the gym this afternoon! I too had that skinny minny bod all my life until I hit my twenties. I'm not happy with my body (now) & people still tell me "you're too skinny"! UGH! No I'm not! I'm not over weight either but, I'm not happy with my body & I'm going to do things to change it! I wish people could respect our wishes!

Thanks for the post!

Shayna

Michelle said...

I definitely don't love my body! But I am working on it and have changed my lifestyle! I am learning to embrace it!

Great post, my love!

XOXO

So shay said...

You my dear are perfect. I gained tons and tons of weight in college...and I even dieted and worked out. Turns out it was a thyroid problem, but none the less, I started eating less and working out and bam, lost 30 pounds. Still not where I want to be but ooooh well. You're beautiful and love that you work for it. I want your legs. That is the truth. They are amazing.

LOVE YOU!!!!!!!

Cristie Young said...

Thanks for the inspiration and knowledge. I just started boot camp at the gym a couple of weeks ago and definitely need to keep reminding myself that I need to push myself, or I am only punishing myself!

Cristie
keepingupwiththeyoung.blogspot.com

Jess said...

Wow! What a motivating post! I totally agree with you in that working out gives you a buzz of happy feelings and endorphins. (It's just getting myself off the couch that I struggle with!) Try not to worry about what those haters say -I am putting bets on that they are just jealous of you! This will sound super cheesy, but, You go girl!!!

Megan at Megan Can said...

Such a fantastic post! Like many of the other ladies who have commented I am the same way! I have recently however gained a gut! The rest of my body looks great but it's just the gut. People think I'm crazy for working out, dieting, eating healthy but this gut is not attractive. But You have to work on these things for you & no one else!

Kendra said...

You look healthy and fab! I've never done a Zumba class. I might need to get my booty in there asap!

Ashley said...

you have an amazing body AND most importantly a healthy one! love that you are a skinny healthy sexy fit lady! and that just because "you can" eat a chili-slathered burger and nothing horrid will happen....you still work out and eat healthy and take care of yourself....you're sizzling! and i love it! MUAH! great message!

Emily said...

Erica - this is a great post and so true! I work out to get fit and feel healthy - I am not the skinniest girl but I don't want to be. As long as I am healthy I feel good about that.

And DUH - you totally look amazing. Look at those legs - meow. I might need to hit the treadmill a little harder to get me a pair of those.

p.s. I picked up your package and am planning a post soon.

Christina said...

LOVE THE LAST PIC!!

Holly said...

Can I borrow your soap box?! You are speakin' my language, girlfriend! My whole life I've been skinny! I was picked on in middle school for being "too skinny". My metabolism has been set on overdrive. I only gained 5 lbs all of college, but then, shiz it the fan after graduation and I gained 15. Yuck. I felt gross. I lost it and then some. I felt great. Then I got married and I've packed on a few more lbs than I'd like. Now, I'm getting my arse back in shape and I love it! Healthy is the best skinny there is!

Sabrina Says Blog said...

I loved this!!

You are beautiful and confident and that is all that matters!

I love that you like to zumba your little butt off ! people are just jealous if they say anything!!

I really loved this post. And...I am working on loving my body :) I've never HATED myself but I just need to work on a few things! Toning this tummy!!

Love you and have a wonderful weekend!!!

Sabrina Says

Impulsive Addict said...

Great motivational post!

No, I don't love my body but I'm working on it. I've always exercised. It was always my diet that killed me. I worked out so I could eat those chili cheese fries for lunch and a big plate of Mexican food for dinner.

Now I'm eating healthy AND working out and seeing results. But I sure do miss my alcohol.

Jess at Just Rainbows and Butterflies said...

I love this post, but the one thing that I took out of it that will help me in the gym is when you cut out the Cosmo workout cards. I had never thought of that and will do that tomorrow when I head to the gym for some yoga time.

Catherine Fishback said...

Great post. It's so important to focus on how you FEEL, not how you LOOK. I also love my body. I feel good and healthy (most of the time).

I wanted to let you know about a new blog FEST about food, style & travel. Come follow along as I document my wardrobe challenge: to not but any clothes in 2012. It's gonna be great. Also, be sure to join the site so you can enter the giveaway.

Ashley Slater said...

awesome awesome post! I love you! and I thiink you are hottttttt, and working out will only build muscle and make you stronger and fitter! and if anyone says dumb things to you you should say "um, wonder how I got into this good of shape in the first place?!? " duh!

oh and I also love that you listened to personal trainers training people! ha! love it!

Raven said...

LOL go eat a cheeseburger!! hahaha!!! I just love you. and I HATE when people say "why do you need to work out? You are so skinny?" Bitch, I'm skinny BECAUSE I work out!

shew.

Britt said...

I love this! I was totally debating on if I would make it to the gym tonight and now I have to go:) Thanks for the inspiration!