PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

2.26.2013

Do we compliment people enough!?

At the gym a couple days ago, I saw a girl with a really cool braid in her ponytail. It was basically something I could never do on my own. Let's be honest, Kurt has to clip in my hair extensions when I wear them.

Kurt those are mine; take them off.
also this is BEYOND hideous

I caught her as she was leaving the treadmill and I told her I absolutely loved her braid. It was as if she was blown away and couldn't believe I said I liked it. She was so appreciative and said she loves trying new things in her hair but that no one ever notices!!

I was Facebook creeping last night and came across 
a STELLER video about giving/receiving compliments. 

This group called Soul Pancake hit the street and set up a
 phone booth of sorts, and a big set of headphones. 

One person stands in the booth, the other between 
the headphones and you give and receive compliments, then switch. 

It was so flipping inspiring I basically cried. You have have have have to watch it!!



I couldn't help but think of the braid girl, and complimenting people in general.
Do we do it enough? Do you? Do I?! 
I mean, I get daily compliments on the size of my boobs

(kidding!)

But really. I think giving compliments are important
It shows someone you care, and are noticing them
And I'm not talking about being Regina George all 
"I love that bracelet!"
turns away....
"That bracelet is disgusting"

I mean REAL compliments!
Because it made me feel pretty dang good to know that the braid girl was so happy to hear that!

The video has inspired me.
Do you ever get the feeling we don't compliment people enough? 

Photobucket

17 comments:

Carolyn said...

I love this! Giving compliments is SO MUCH FUN and people really don't do it enough!! :)

Brooke said...

I really love this. I always say you need to make deposits in people's self esteem bank. I try to do it often, BUT sometimes I am AFRAID to compliment people. Like they may think I'm weird for complimenting them. I am weird, I know.

Katie said...

You are the BEST at complimenting people. You truly do it all the time! I try to do it too I love seeing people smile :) when people compliment me, I just think to myself how good it feels and to pay it forward. or to be more like you.
hehe ;)

choose to be happy blog said...

I totally agree! And will have to watch that video when I am not at work. ooooops! You always feel so GOOD afterwards, you know? AND. Sometimes you can get really good information. For example. This teen-ish girl in pier 1 with her mom, she had the cutest necklace on. And I HAD to say something. Because I kept starring. And so I told her I loved it. and then we started chatting and they told me about a boutique where they got it from that I had never heard of before. Aaaaaaaand we all win!

ashleigh said...

i totally agree, i am a "complimenter" and sometimes i think people are taken back like "what the hell, that random girl said i was pretty..uh okay?" but some people can totally appreciate it and are so thankful for it.

Sabrina Says Blog said...

You are one of the most thoughtful people I know so I would have to say, YES! you are are constanlty thinking about people and putting others first. You are always on top of bday gifts and thoughtful notes. You remember anniversaries and special occasions. You always ask how we are doing and some how you make the BEST DAY EVER even sweeter.

You are one of the most special people I have ever met. And I am SO lucky to have found you. For real, yo.

:) LOVE YOU EE!!!!!!!

Molly S. said...

Goodness I love this. It's so true. We just either "assume" people know or just think it and don't say a word. And it's absolutely wild how much it can change a persons day, perspective, etc.

Word to this. Thanks for posting it :D

Alexandra Sayre said...

I totally agree with you! I saw a similar video that I'm pretty sure was by soul pancake when they were in a ball pit! You'll have to check it and tell me what you think!

someblondesthoughts.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

People do notice we just don't say anything. And if we do then we get the shocked expression you received.

Anonymous said...

Compliments are so rare these days! I've also noticed that being in a really good mood is contagious. It's amazing the difference between going somewhere public in a great mood and going in a horrible mood. Smile, it's free ;D

Amy said...

I LOVE giving compliments to people!! I realized a few years ago just how much those simple compliments can mean to me. If I'm having a rough day, even someone saying that they like my shirt will go SUCH a far way. You never know what a person's going through, you know? A simple compliment can definitely make someone's day, it always makes mine! :) Thanks for sharing this video, girl!

Lauren said...

I so agree and love to compliment complete strangers just to make them smile :-)

Ashley said...

I agree! Complimenting people is so fun, when they react well! I'm nervous to compliment sometimes though, I've had some pretty rude reactions that made me feel like a total nob!

Elissa said...

Hi!
I'm your newest follower :) I agree about compliments- you never know how much it can make someone's day! Could totally turn everything around for them.
Gotta go read all your back entries!

PS- if you are interested in weddings/parties- check out my blog!
partyliss.blogspot.com

Ami @ a champagne dream said...

Coming from someone who loves to give - and receive - compliments: so true, so true! Great post.

xo Ami
a champagne dream

KRISTIN said...

I love this! I work in sales so I've really tried to challenge myself to compliment my clients regularly...but only if I genuinely mean it! It's a fun little challenge, but I definitely should move it beyond clients and start complimenting strangers!

K & J said...

Tell Kurt I like he 80's rocker look ;) Kara XO