I'm running my first half marathon in November...AND it's in Disney World!
Specifically it's called the Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon!
It should come as no surprise that Kurt and I are Disney freaks. If it was normal, we would build our future house to look like the Cinderella castle (ok maybe not that extreme). We do love it though, and try to go at least once a year! This time, it's going to be an extra special memory :-)
Back during my junior year of college, Kurt and I were in Disney World in January during the Disney Marathon weekend. It crossed my mind "wow, running through the Disney parks would be so much fun," but I was no runner. Up until about a year ago, I couldn't even run 5 minutes without feeling like I was going to pass out.
Last year I found myself talking to one of my co-workers who lives in Scotland. He is a triathlon competitor, runner, biker and an all around athlete! I expressed my wish for being able to run and he developed a running/workout plan for me that I followed and soon enough I was running 45 minutes without stopping; it was AMAZING. I felt accomplished and confident in myself for once when it came to running.
I started researching the Disney races. Honestly, how can you not want to run through the Disney parks? My research of the Wine and Dine Half Marathon happened to intertwine with Kurt and I planning our next trip---November 2013. I brought it up to him and he was all for it; all for ME running it, while he cheered me along. I was okay with that, but I really wanted to do this together with him. After a few weeks of pouting and pleading and saying "BUT WE CAN DRESS UP!!" he finally agreed.
So here we are! Around two months until we both run our first half marathon. I am nervous, worried, freaking out, but more than anything, over the moon excited!
The Wine and Dine half marathon takes place during the Epcot Food and Wine Festival. Oh did I mention this race doesn't start until 10:00pm at night!? After we run, it ends with a party in Epcot that goes until 4:00AM! It will be interesting---considering I have never run at night before. However, we run through Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and Epcot with tons of entertainment and Disney characters along the way to keep you going!
I AM JUST SO EXCITED!!!!
Have any of you ever run a Disney race before?!









23 comments:
Sounds like so much fun!!! A sweet after-party in Disney would totally motivate me to run! lol And with how Florida humidity has been feeling, you may be happy the run is at night ;)
You are going to have SO much fun! Jealous!
Holy heck I am so jealous!!!! I didn't even know they had half marathons for disney - now the nagging begins to someday do it! I don't even like marathons but this sounds like a blast hahaha! CUTE outfit!
That looks and sounds like so much fun!! I've never ran a marathon of any sorts before, in fact I generally avoid running at all costs ha ha. I would love to start running one day, but so far I haven't found the time.
I recently started running in hopes to one day run the Disney Princess half marathon. I can't think of any better way to run than in a costume through Disney World! Can't wait to hear about your experience!
OMG. How awesome is this!?
I am soooo excited for you! I am running my first Disney race in January, the Tinker Bell 10k! I can't wait. You are right, what could be better than running in costume around Disneyland!
I am no runner but this sounds amazing!! After party all night long? Super cool.
That sounds awesome and totally makes me want to get off my butt and go outside and run. I'm currently like you were before you started training. I'm struggling to do the first week of the couch to 5k app. I'm hoping to one day be able to do a race, even if it's just a 5k.
1) You are the cutest thing ever in that oufit
2) What is this running plan this guy speaks of because I too cannot run longer than one minute (and I really do mean one minute) without wanting to kill myself
3) Am I allowed to just come to the after party?
This sounds awesome!!! I'm so jealous! I've done 2 half marathons and before them I could hardly run a mile. They are my favorite distance now and I know you'll have a blast. You'll be too focused on all the cool disney stuff than how tired you are :) That's so cool it's night - perfect running weather! I can't wait to hear about the recap!
I have a ten mile race coming up at the end of September and a half marathon is my next goal after that. Hal Higdon has a website with training programs for the half marathon (I'm using his guide for my ten miler). That sounds like an awesome place to run your first half. I can't wait to hear about it! And good luck!!
Big Apple, Little Bites
Yes! I love Disney races -- in fact, running them is one of the only motivations to run sometimes! Wine and Dine is so great, and the course is awesome! I'd be happy to share my experiences if you have any questions!
Jaimie
www.jaimiehart.blogspot.com
That's amazing! So fun!
Holy heck, that sounds amazing! Rather you than me though - I died after just 3km of running last night haha. It sure looks like a lot of fun though! :)
That looks amazing and I always hear awesome things about the food & wine festival :-)
i have one friend doing the the tower of terror or some type of marathon in the beginning of october in disney! and another friend is running in the princess one in february!!! my goal is to do a disney one next year but i need to get my butt into the groove and start running. good luck!!! can't wait to read all about it. :)
this sounds sooooo fun! :)
Ahhh, so much fun. I wanna be a runner just to do this, haha. I've gotta know more about this plan you were put on. I'm like you were a year ago - running for 5 minutes makes me wanna kill myself.
erica i am so so so excited for you! i just want to fly down and cheer you on at every mile! Please add me to the text list!!! you are gonna be the cutest little minnie ever!!!
and i am running a half almost exactly a month before yours....but yours is wayyyyy more fun!!
XO
I always said if I ever were to run 13.1 miles, this is how it would go down!! So jealous-- it's going to be so amazing! That is the cutest Minnie outfit ever! You go, girl!
That sounds like so much fun!! I've never personally ran any of the Disney races but one of my best friends ran the Wine & Dine last year and LOVED IT! My boyfriend and I are heading to Disney for vacay/Food & Wine festival in 38 days (totally not counting or anything...). You're going to have a blast :)
Please tell me where you found that costume...LOVE IT!...I am doing my 1st Dinsey run in a few weeks - the Tower of Terror 10 miles...and then I am doing the 1/2 marathon in January....can't wait to run a Disney race!!!
Post a Comment