PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

12.12.2012

My soldier friend...

Last week I happened to be on one of my YouTube adventures. You know, where you start off watching something innocent like Lil Wayne talking about how he makes his Purple Drank, and the next thing you know you're bawling your eyes out to videos of soldiers coming home for the holidays.

I stumble upon these soldier videos quiet often---mainly because they make me so so happy....and the ones where the dogs run up to them? KILLS ME! I couldn't help but think of one of my friends, Tyler, serving overseas for the US Marines in a very mean, nasty, non-holiday-spirtness place.


Especially around Christmas time, I get the giving bug! This was no exception....and I just knew we had to send something to him so he can pretend like it's Christmas! UPS wouldn't let me send a life size Christmas tree, and Kurt refused to let me put him in a box, naked, with a big red bow for Tyler. So we had to make due...


I saw a mini handheld Frogger at Target....
....one left..
I had a mini fight with myself over whether I should keep it for myself. 
But I decided to be nice and put in in his package. 
 

Along with Mario fruit snacks, cookies, Christmas candy, some puzzles, legos, happy notes...
and THEE coolest thing ever found at Target; a light up snowman that you plug into a USB

I just feel really grateful to be able to be home with family and friends for the holidays. I wish to God all the troops could be too, as I can't even imagine how hard that must be for them. A co-worker was telling me how every year her and her family "Adopt a US Soldier" for the holidays which I think is the coolest thing in the entire universe! They send them letters, care packages, and anything that makes them feel more "at home."

Do you know any troops serving overseas during the holidays?
Do you have any care package ideas?

Photobucket

10 comments:

Lauren Nicole said...

This made my heart happy. I have a friend that I've known for years and years that leaves today for base camp. He is joining the Navy and will be a diver for them. His trains for a few months and then ships elsewhere.. but he will be gone for the holidays and just a long time in general. I plan on sending some packages. His mom and I are close, so I'm sure I'll tag along to visit him every now and then. I just hate that she is having to say goodbye to him this close to Christmas :( Wahh.


Thank you, Tyler, for all that you do!

Amber Dominguez said...

What a sweet idea :)

I couldn't imagine being away from home at all, let alone during the holidays.

The Pink Growl said...

I love this! You are such a sweetie! When my neighbor was in Afghanistan and Iraq we always used to send him care packages. It definitely reminds them what they are fighting for!

Anonymous said...

How awesome. I love the Adopt a Soldier idea. I'll have to look into how you do that. Any ideas??

Carolyn said...

That's such a sweet thought!! :)

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet of you to send all of that wonderful stuff to him so he can have his own little Christmas :D

So shay said...

You seriously are THE sweetest. GOSH I love you!

Renee Arianna said...

A light-up snowman! Make my life why don't ya? And I may or may not have just watched the lil wayne purple drank video earlier tonight. No soldier's overseas right now for me. My stepdad and cousin have both been recently though and they always liked food and movies along with hand sanitizer that clipped on to their bags... random I know. Guess they are some germaphobes or something.

Unknown said...

Such a fun and sweet care package. My coworkers and I just sent a bunch of packages to a platoon in Afghanistan. Hopefully this small deed will mean a lot to someone oversea!

Sabrina Says Blog said...

Are you kidding me?

I am CONSTANTLY telling everyone I know about how you are the most loving and thoughtful person I know.

You never miss a birthday.
you never miss a special moment.
you never forget ANYTHING

You are seriously the best. I just love you SO SO much and you giving heart.
You make me so proud that I am in your life. I mean really.
How did I get SO lucky to find a friend like you, my love! You are the best!

I hope you have the best christmas ever with your friends and family and KURTY BEAR.

I just love you SO much.

Can we skype soon? Please!