PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

11.09.2011

Bloggers, stop being MEAN!

Sometimes I feel like blogging has lost its "sense of community." It's support. It's welcoming vibe. I've logged onto twitter and blogger and seen stuff like:

Ugh...just unfollowed a bunch of blogs because they were boring the crap out of me

or...

Haha we hate the same bloggers!

or the worst...

To all you blog idiots...learn to write or get rid of your blog!

When I first started this little blog about a year ago, I remember feeling excited and anxious to see what kind of people were out there. I dont know how you all found me, but 6 of you stumbled upon my first post, and told me I was going to love blogging. You made me feel welcome. You made me excited to start this journey that I never knew I was going to have.


I find and follow at least 5 different blogs a day and comment saying hello, telling them I'm excited to read more, letting them know I am interested in what they have to say. We all clearly care what we blog about because otherwise, why would we blog? 

I just hate that there is so much negativity in a place that is supposed to feel welcoming and community-like. Come on you meanies, be nice! We should be in this together!

I just want to say thanks to those bloggers who I know are blogging for the right reasons. Those I know are true to who they are. Those I can count on to make me laugh whenever I need a pick-me-up. Those I can call or text with a funny story or to tell them something random that happened today. Those I can read their blogs and think, "wow...this chick is amazing and inspiring and I love that she is so true to herself."

 And to all the other 100+ blogs I follow...keep doing 
what you're doing because I'm loving it!

So thank you to those who keep me coming back to blogland and who keep me wanting to share this little slice of the internet. I love you!

Photobucket

71 comments:

Jenni@Story of My Life said...

Well said, my friend, well said. I try to keep negativity off the twitter and the blog. Doesn't mean I don't sometimes think negative things about people, but I just don't want to be known as rude or snooty!

So shay said...

THANK YOU Erica. Thank youuuuuuu! :) I am so glad you wrote this. I love you so much! This isn't high school people...come on! Grow up and if you don't have anything nice to say, please don't say anything at all! Am I right or am I right? I wish I had the man juggulars to write a post like this because as you know, I've thought the same thing. Blogging should be a fun hobby. It should be fun for YOU, and if you happen to make some awesome friends in the process, then I consider that a BONUS. No need for cattiness. No need. LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amber said...

I here ya girl! I love blogging because it's one of the few things that I have that IS actually MINE! If I want to write and have bad grammar fine..It's entertaining. I love people like you who are ReAl and not fake! Superb post!

Jess said...

I love reading this. There are some blogs that I read EVERY DAY because I know the ladies that write them are pure awesomeness. You are one of them. I can't imagine being negative about a blogger. I mean, we put our hearts out there and say things that some of us might never actually say out loud. So for putting this out there, I applaud you and say that I hope that we can be blog (and maybe even real-life) friends!

arianapia said...

Seriously, what happened to if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?!?

I stumbled upon the blog world earlier this year and it sounded so wonderful!

So I started blogging to get my thoughts out of my head and to just have fun with it! I only have 8 posts and 1 follower.

But that one follower (Gentri Lee) encouraged me to keep going. So I will try my best to blog til my hearts content!

It's posts like these that make me want to spread blog love all around so THANK YOU! :)

amber lynn said...

Very well said...I totally agree and have gotten the same feeling in the last little while. In many cases, our blogs are an expression of our lives and sometimes we have good days and sometimes we have bad ones. I don't see the point of being critical and mean to fellow bloggers...i don't think there is a book of rules on how to blog. I, too, and just thankful for the blof friends and readers that have been supportive and encouraging!

amber lynn said...

*blog friends :)

Oliviaaa said...

i've never understood the rude comments that come from other bloggers and readers. there's enough space on the internets for everyone! :] thanks for this post!

Chelsea said...

So glad you posted this! I love your attitude about it all... so positive! It's hard sometimes to see the negativity about bloggers. Takes me right back to high school. No thanks! It would be great to keep this little network of ours as drama-free as possible haha so that way we can keep doing what we do and meeting more and more awesome people! :)

Carolyn said...

OMG! I love love love this post! And not just because I was one of your first commenters... which is so cool BTW! haha

I have been seeing the same posts... along with "get me to **** followers!" and other obnoxious calls for attention. I blog because I like writing and I love the people I've met.

I love that you are keeping it real and remembering the reason why we all love blogging so much!

Thanks for the great reminder!!

J and A said...

I hear ya, great post girl. No one asks people to visit our blogs. If you don't like it, don't come or comment. My blog was started by my hubs after our wedding. And it has grown into my little baby. I would continue to pamper it even it was only my Gran and Hubby who read it. Hugs to you.

Katie said...

My face is up there! STOKED! :)

I couldn't have said it better myself. Blogging is supposed to be a welcoming community and I can't stand hearing on twitter about unfollowing people b/c they are boring, etc. Who knows what they are going through in their life or at that certain time. I'm lucky for you too..thank you! :)

Raven said...

Erica I looooooooooooove it!! I am so glad I got to know you more and now that we are like, total text bff's, well, 'nuf said. Because blogging can SO seem like a "mean girls" movie but it's because of you and all the girls pictured above that makes it totally worth it!!
love it!!

choose to be happy blog said...

i too am so glad you wrote this. because i see it all the time. you my dear, you are great. and this is one of the reasons i read your blog and just ADORE YOU

and you never fail to make me laugh with the pictures you find of me. it makes me happy. LOVE YOU LOTS!

Lindsey said...

Well aren't you just the sweetest little muffin!!! I blog for all those amazing girls too. Seriously blogging was the best thing I ever did with my life. Who would have thunk it???????? And a better questions is, what would I do without your hoo-ha comments?

Now, there are some bloggers I don't like but that is because they are self-absorbed, snobby and rude themselves. To them I say, sorryboutcha. To all the hundreds of awesome girls, I say hugs and thank you for changing my life!

Love XOXOXO

"The BB"

Rissy said...

TRUE DAT Sister friend! whoop whoop

Can we also cut out the "I hate you guys for not reading and commenting on my post today so suck it" type of tweets too? Negativy Nancies need to hit the road.

I can name 80% of the bloggy faces in that collage... and I love them all! saawweettt

Kate said...

There are a lot of blogs that I find boring. What's so wrong with that? I'm confused. I know most of the ladies are agreeing with you today, but I guess I just haven't encountered what you have maybe. Just because I find one boring doesn't mean that others do, it just means that I don't connect with that blog author, her style of writing or where she is in life. I unfollow blogs every so often. Not to be mean at all. Just because if I'm going to spend my time online and away from my husband and family, I want to be inspired by like-minded individuals. I don't see what's wrong with that. Blogging is amazing community and so uplifting for me :) Keep on keepin' on girly!

Holly said...

New reader/follower here! GREAT post :)

Abby said...

Ive just started blogging again after deleting my blog back and may and this post made a lot of sense :)

P!nky said...

So true so true HOLLA at a TRUE DAT!!! Blogging isn't high school people so stop making it so. If you don't like a blog, unfollow, but don't announce it. That just speaks to your lack of character and your lack of confidence. Why put someone else down???? SO RUDE!

You were one of the first blogs I actually followed and one of my first followers! I've loved your blog from the beginning, keep on keepin on!

WEEZYEFFINBABYLURVE!!!!

Amilliamilliamilli!

xoxo

Pamela said...

Well said!!! I am still in the learning process & you are an inspiration! I have gotten almost 20 new followers in the past 2-3 days, so it makes me SO excited! ha! I looove blogging & so glad I joined this little world :)

Expat Girl said...

I just wrote about this yesterday and haters in the blog world!

Lauren said...

I feel like you shouldn't follow someone's blog in the first place if it's not something you want to read. I think a lot of people do that just to get followers... But what's the point?? I mean, I'd rather have 5 followers who cared than 500 who didn't, you know?

And if you DO unfollow someone, there's no reason to broadcast it. Just because someone's blog isn't your cup of tea doesn't mean it's boring. That's just mean to imply that!

I think if you don't have anything nice to say - then don't say anything at all. If I have a post that gets 1 nice comment, I'm thrilled. And I love and respect all the blogs that promote a positive attitude and support other blogs on here :)

MaviDeniz said...

True that! I was really hesitant to start a blog b/c I know with the good comes the bad and didn't want to have anyone say mean things to me lol. I have been lucky that all of it has been positive though. There will of course be some haters out there, but you can't let them get to you =P

Xo

Lauren said...

I just wanted to say that I agree with you on this.

I read many blogs but I don't really comment often. Clearly, I'm trying to change that. And I just think you're the cat's meow!

Thank you for sharing!

Ashley said...

Nicely put!! Even if you stop following a blog, doesn't mean that person stopped following you and is now reading the rudeness... some people....

I do love reading your blog by the way haha!

My-cliffnotes said...

Well said, I think the negative Nancy's need to kick a rock or ten.

Tab

Julie @ The Smitten Mintons said...

You said it all perfectly!! In the past couple weeks, I have seen SO much negativity in comments and posts (especially those mean anons!) I hope blogging continues to be a place of encouragement because it can be such a wonderful thing if people choose to be nice! Thanks for saying this girl :)

Christina said...

I've seen that on twitter a lot too and I think it's kind of messed up. It's ok not to be into the same things as everyone else, but why not just choose to be polite about it? This a place where we encourage each other and share the fun things in life. I would hate to see it turn into a negative thing. Thanks for the post!

Deidre said...

So true - I have such a supportive and loving community over at my blog I always get a bit surprised when I find some blog that I read and love is getting negative comments!

Erin said...

Nice to hear from someone with something nice to say. I find myself silenced a lot on twitter because I don't care to respond to all the high school crap. I guess I'd rather be silent and have fewer followers than whine my way into having lots. Great post.

Raquel said...

I love this post!! Thanks for being such a positive person and great blogger!
xoxo

Alyssa said...

People can be so mean and insensitive. I always wonder if they would ever have the guts to say that if they came face to face with the person.

brynn said...

it makes me really sad that people can be so mean.

i haven't had a negative experience, YET, but just reading this made me cringe. THANK YOU for writing this post Erica!!

let's all be frieeennnndddssss!!!

JMB said...

THERES MY MUG!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOOO hahaha I feel like I need to find all these amazing blogs of which you thought were MUG worthy!! And Errrr-cuh, let's be real you, I brighten your morning with sexts and you teach me dirty words...it's a give and take relationship and I am Thanksful for you this Thanksgiving ;) xoxo

ashleigh said...

this makes me sad that people say that!
Let's be friends? Yah!?

Hahah love your blog but you already know that!

sea to shining port said...

Wow, I completely agree with you...this coming from a newbie!! This community of women is pretty amazing, and so it's nice to know that everyone is looking out for each other! Thank you, because you're right, it can get a little daunting out there!!

Caitlin
seatoshiningport.blogspot.com

Sabrina Says Blog said...

SO glad you wrote this!! Seriously! It's ridiculous how CRAZY people can get! I'm so lucky to be part of a group of bloggers that are so positive and full of love! Even though we have that SPARK in us... it's not like we use it in a bad way!!

It's so true how people just say mean things, and then other people agree and start up this WHOLE HUGE THING! If you have a prob with some one... tell THEM not the whole internet! GEEEZ.

Well love, I sure do love your face and thanks for putting my picture in your collage :) You are a sweet girl and you have a heart bigger than most!! Love you!

Sabrina Says

Ashley said...

There's my face in that big bloggy lovin collage!! eek! i love you!

and this post - AMAZING!! and so true. can't we just all love each other?!?! no meanies in the blog club aloud!

i see those pro writing skills coming out in this post ;)

xoxoxoxo!!!

Ashley Lynn said...

I've been MIA awhile but this is a great post!!

ashley said...

Yaaaay!! Love love looove that we are blog friends-- and that I made the collage!! :)

I love what blogging has brought- some amazing girlfriends and I love the relationships I've gained and really how much I've learned!

I just stay away from the negative-- everyone has a little of it, but it's how you present it that makes a difference. :)

You rock Miss Erica!! xoxoxoxoxo

Amber said...

You are sooo right girl. I feel like blogging is like high school sometimes. It's too clique-y, and that's awful. Like you said, it's a welcoming community, and we should all support one another. I love it, and don't know how I lived before it! :)

Meghan said...

Amen! I've seriously considered deleting my Twitter just because of all of the drama and pettiness! Great post!

Stephanie said...

SO with you! I HATE it when I read things like that on twitter...ok so you unfollowed someone's blog...is it REALLY necessary to announce it on Twitter?? Who the F cares?!

This is why I love you.

Thanks for the little shoutout seester!! Took me a minute to recognize myself lol. (Gotta love my maid of honor in the background!)

You're my favoritist mudder lover! :)

Megan at Megan Can said...

I'm brand new to the blogging world & think you hit the nail on the head with this post! I love the whole idea of what blogging has to offer! Even though I'm brand new, I've already found some amazing blogs to follow & have talked to some amazing people! I can't wait to see what else is in store with yours :)

Megan
http://randomlifeofa20something.blogspot.com/

Megan said...

Ahhhh, E, I totally LOVE this post!! And not just because my face is on it. Ha. : ) You are SO right! If people don't like a certain blog, then just leave it alone. Don't go around tweeting it! UGH! Negativity kills me sometimes!!

Totally love you! Thanks for including me! I love your face!!

Joanne said...

Amen, sistahh! :)

angelica said...

Great points and definitely inspiring. Sometimes I feel like I have to live up to a "blog standard" when it should really be about the things I want to say and share with others. :)

Candace said...

There has been a lot of negativity lately. I don't know what is all about but thank you for always being fabulous:)

Ashley said...

Like everyone else has so sweetly put, feeling welcome in this bloggy community is what made me love it so much from the beginning! When I first started, I never thought I'd love it so much! You meet so many fabulous people who you can relate to through blogging, and you should want to make them feel great, too. Negative comments don't get you anywhere. You go, girlfriend!

K & J said...

I'm one of your newer "fans" :) I hope you continue to blog for a long time. I love coming here and reading each new post you write.
If someone doesn't like blogging then they should just stay away. Each of us that has a blog....it ours, not there's. It's our place to share part of our lives or whatever's on our mind. I say stay away if you don't like it.
Ignore all the hate and keep blogging. Kara XOXOXOXOXO

Hollie Ann said...

AMEN!!!!!!! I actually have a scheduled post for Friday about this exact topic. But more so "successful" blogs tweeting negativity about those starting out.

I'm so glad you speak your mind on your blog!!

I actually came on here to get your email...keep an eye out for one I'm sending here in a minute.

Hope you're having a fabulous night!!

Alisha said...

Well said, friend!! I hate seeing bloggers say cruel and hateful things to other bloggers. It's not cool! And now that you mention it, there are a few twitterers that I want to follow because all they do is tweet and breed negativity. Seriously, if you can't say something nice, PLEASE don't say anything at all. Nuff said!

Great post!!!!
xoxoxo

sweetwahine said...

Making my rounds and found your blog! Cant wait to read more <3 I know what you mean about "Meanies" out there. We need to stick together! I just started blogging and by have A LOT to learn. :)

keshni said...

Thank you for writing this post and thank you for your super awesome blog! :)

Neely said...

I have delt with this a lot. I refer to it as twitter bullying. People suck. Good for you for writing about it!

Anonymous said...

It is really sad that some people are just so negative that they have to take it out on other people. Don't they realize that they are being bullies? What ever happened to "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all?"

I am glad that you are staying positive and not letting negative comments get you down!!! Keep smiling love!

Ashley Marie said...

What an excellent top post to see! It's helpful for beginner bloggers, like myself, to see there are successful bloggers who are so nice! I've been weary of contacting experienced bloggers and asking for advice just because I fear stuff like that happening. Thanks for the encouragement, even if that wasn't your intention!

Lins @ Country Roots City Living said...

I just started a blog yesterday and I feel the exact same way! I was so glad to read this. I just found your blog and started reading it! I can't wait to follow you!! :)

My Life as Whitney said...

This is one of my favorite posts about blogging! I have been feeling the same way. My baby blog is still small but I got my first negative comment and it made me feel horrible. Why are some people so mean? I don't understand. Thanks for helping me feel like its ok! :-)

Jill said...

I can't take the negativity either! If someone doesn't like your blog, then they should just unfollow or not comment on it. It's fine to have different opinions on a post and state those, but to bash people or their beliefs is another story.
I love your blog and find you hilarious!!!

I changed my blog url p.s.: www.phatjill.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

AHHHH I LOVE IT! I can't stand negativity and rude comments especially! I really hate when people talk bad about others. Blogging is a free space, yes, but you shouldn't put people down. If you don't like what they have to say, don't follow them! Just like we won't follow you if you're negative and nasty! HAHA

It was so nice to see my face on here! I love all the ladies in the picture too! LOVE YOU AND YOUR BLOG!

Amanda said...

I heart you and your blog! And I'm so glad I have joined this blogging world :) It's great meeting people like you in the blogging community!

Ashley said...

You tell em girl!!! I have never come across this in my own findings, but it makes me sad there are people who are like this. I have only been blogging for a short time now, but I enjoy it so far, and like you I enjoy the support I get from those who actually care and are 'true bloggers'.
http://sunshinelifelove.blogspot.com/

Stesha said...

I really love this post!!! I cant stand it when people are negative about blogging!! come on people!! love your blog by the way!!

newest follower!

xo
Classic & Bubbly

Amanda Marshall said...

What a great post.. And i actually just found your blog and love it! And completely agree that there are so many fantastic bloggers out there and its so awesome to be in this community :)

Keri said...

thank you! what a great post. i was just thinking last night how blogging can be so "clique-y" and people can be flat-out mean and I was wondering if i really wanted to put myself in that world. this post convinced me.... absolutely. that positive, supportive community is STILL there--and you're part of it. :) keep blogging!

Ashley Slater said...

so funny you posted this based on what JUST happened!!!!!!!! aahhhhhhh!!!!!!!! so funny.

thanks so much for included me along with those other amazing girls! ugh, seriously you guys are my best friends. I mean. I move around too often to make REAL life friends, so you guys are my life line. I want a blogger meet up to happen now more than ever!

you are awesome! haters gonna hate! lol

Mckenzie Jean said...

What a great post! And how super ironic that I just stumbled upon your blog today :)

Michelle (michabella) said...

I love this :) Sadly, there will always be drama queens, negative nancies, and fakes. I am happily a new follower!!! I dont know how I am just NOW finding your blog!!! :)

Kate as of Late said...

Awesome post!
It is sad sometimes for me to see things like this though, because blogging has ONLY been a rewarding experience for me so far. I have made so many "friends" and yes, I do consider them that! I talk about you all like I know you, update my family on your lives, and just love blogging so much! It hurts me to see negativity, but lifts my heart at the same time to see posts like this that address it and remind us what this is all about! :)
Love you and your blog!!!! :)