Okay! Holy Crap. I can't believe I'm typing this post as a half marathon finisher. I know to some that may seem a bit ehh, but to me, wow. I said in a previous post, a year ago I could barely run 5 minutes without dying and that is no joke. I would run 3 minutes and need to stop to catch my breath, dreading the fact that I was only 3 minutes in and had a ways to go. It's outrageous that Kurt and I just finished 13.2!
Let's start with this. The Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon took place on Saturday November 9th, at 10:00pm ET. You heard me; 10:00pm. A night race! The weeks leading up to it, I won't lie, I researched the crap about night runs. What to eat, what to do the day of and I will say, everything I read said rest rest rest.
However, Kurt and I got to Disney on Thursday November 7th, and there was no way in hell we were going to sit in our hotel room for 2 days and rest! We spent half the day Thursday and all day Friday walking around some of the parks having a blast! In the back of my mind, I thought to myself that it probably wasn't the best idea in the world, but we were in Disney after all...
The morning of the race, we got up around 8 because we had to go pick up our race bibs, packet information and check out all the fun merchandise at the Race Expo!
After walking around the expo for a bit, we headed to Downtown Disney for some lunch and relaxing! We ended up eating lunch around 11:30 because we planned to eat again around 3:00 and then around 7:00. We did end up relaxing in our hotel, watched a few episodes of Hoarders, ate some peanut butter crackers, ya know! We looked at each other puzzled---how the heck were we chilling on the bed while in Disney? It was weird you guys!
Around 6:00 we finally started to get ready....the Disney hotels provided us with transportation to the race starting at 7:00 and we wanted to get there early! I Minnie-Ized myself and soon enough we were ready to go!!
The pre-race party was in a big open field at Disney's ESPN Wide World of Sports, which was where the race started. They had a DJ, characters dressed up like chefs for the Wine and Dine theme and probably about 8 million port-a-pottys. Holy moly I have never seen so many! After hanging around there for a bit dancing and taking photos, around 9:00 it was time to get into our corrals. We were in corral E!
My nerves started settling in. I couldn't believe Kurt and I were about to run a half marathon in DisneyWorld...it was SO surreal! Each corral, they set off fireworks, played music, so each corral felt special! Corral E set off at 10:09 and we were off!
Mile 1-8: The first 8 miles flew by we couldn't believe it! Everything felt amazing. The first 3 miles were running on a highway towards Animal Kingdom. Animal Kingdom was beautiful at night! The tree of life was glowing, characters dressed jungle themed were dancing all around and songs like "under the sea" and "I wanna be like you" (from the Jungle book!) were blasting! There was so much energy! We looped around Animal Kingdom 2 miles and back onto the highway for the 3 miles back towards Hollywood Studios. We were feeling SPECTACULAR.
Mile 9-10: As we got closer to Hollywood Studios, we entered in the back by Tower of Terror. Something felt off. My legs suddenly became heavy and my stomach was in knots. I ignored it for a bit, got some water and changed my breathing which helped for about a mile or 2. We stopped for a brief photo op!
Mile 11-12: Y'all, I thought I was going to die. I had the worst stomach cramps and my legs were bowling balls! At this point, we had rounded into the streets of New York in Hollywood Studios where the GORGEOUS Osborne Family lights were showcased. It was something I looked forward to running through this entire race, and I ran through it almost in tears. Kurt almost forced me to stop and take a breath and walk for a minute. We walked/ran for about 5 minutes while I regained myself. I felt defeated, but at the same time it pushed me to finish strong.
Mile 12-13: As we left Hollywood Studios, we entered the Epcot Resorts (Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk hotels) and the crowds were wild! They were yelling words of encouragement, cheering us on, holding up signs, and I think that ultimately helped me out that last mile. I looked over at Kurt as we entered Epcot....we had a half mile left. We were going to do this! I started to cry! Both out of pain and happiness that we were about to do this!
We crossed the finish line holding hands and it was the most amazing feeling ever! They gave us our medals and we got our picture taken! It was such an incredible feeling to have that medal placed over our necks---all of the training, tears and hard work was SO worth it!
It was now close to 1:00am and it was party time! This race ended in Epcot, which was hosting the Food and Wine fest---30 different countries with different food and booze to try! We partied our butts off until 3:30 when we finally decided to head back and sleep. It was a long ass day.
I can't stress enough how thankful I am for all of you who have encouraged me, helped me, and sent sweet words of good luck to us leading up to the race! I appreciate it so much! We had so much fun, and even though after the race I said I probably wouldn't do another half anytime soon, I want to do another one! I never knew that I could feel this sense of accomplishment. It is absolutely amazing and I love it!
One of our pics! We plan to buy this one because we just look SO happy!!
Run Disney, you ROCK!!











18 comments:
Girl that is AWESOME!!! You look too cute too!!
SO SO PROUD!!
You did amazing. I can't imagine all the stomach knots and your legs :( but you did it you did it! So awesome of you two and I feel like Disney would be the BEST place in the world to run one!!
Couples who race together, stay together! I just love y'all and am SO SO happy you didn't let those last few miles get ya down!!! You are a CHAMPALAMP! I could NEVER imagine running that much lol. LOVE YOUR FACEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
Awwww I was smiling the whole time I read this! And still am! Loved the recap. So proud of you! XOXO
Congratulations on your first half marathon finish! I could feel the excitement of the race in this post. I really want to run a Disney race now!
You both look so happy! I would have been crying too, what an accomplishment!
Congrats! You looks so happy!! :) Can't wait to read the rest of your Disney recap.
Congratulations! I've been dying to do a Disney Half. Did you follow a training guide from start to finish? If so, which one?
That is so awesome!! I am so excited to run my first in May and now you have me considering planning our vacation to Florida and moving it to November so I can run this. That would be so much fun!!! Maybe depending on how my 1st one goes and if I can get my husband to train with me we can both sign up for the Disney one. Congrats girl!!
Awesome job!! Definitely something to be proud of :) Sounds like a lot of fun and a lot of work :)
I love it. You look adorable as ever! Congrats on doing something I will for sure never do in my life. Can't wait for the Disney recap.
I'm the one who runs 2 minutes and acts like it was 20 miles. HUGE props to you for finishing! I bet it was such an amazing feeling! Does Disney do this every year? If it means I get to go, maybe I'll start training! Love your Minnie costume too!
AWESOME! Well done, so impressive to me. I'm one of those people who hates running and could never imagine completing a half marathon. way to go!!
Hey! Congratulation on your first Half Marathon! I did my first one in October, and it is a lot of work to train up to getting 13 miles in. It is such a great accomplishment! I might have to check our the Disney one for my next half!! WAY TO GO
http://citygirlinsmalltownworld.blogspot.com
Erica I'm teary reading this post b/c I am so so proud of you! Proud that you pushed through the pain and proud of how far you've come in just one year. YOU are amazing!!
How exciting, that must be one awesome feeling!!!! Love all the cute pics and glad you had a wonderful time at Disney :-)
Congrats that is HUGE! I can't even imagine how amazing it must have felt at the finish line.
Loving your race outfit, too cute :)
"We crossed the finish line holding hands"... and then I got a massive lump in my throat. LOVE!
Post a Comment