PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

1.09.2014

Feeling Behind in Life

The other night my girlfriends and I were talking about Forbes' 30 people under 30 who have changed the world. We kind of started feeling sorry for ourselves; none of us own a business, none of us invented the post-it note like Romy and Michelle said they did, none of us are famous advocates or movie directors. You get the picture.

If I'm being honest, I do sometimes feel like I'm behind in life. Not in the sense of I'm not growing up or I don't have boobs yet (actually I don't really but shh hahahah), but I mean in actual legit life! It seems like everyone is doing all of these amazing things, making a difference, networking their asses off 24/7 and I'm just here...if that makes sense. It's frustrating at times!

I wouldn't call myself a jealous person, unless of course you're Adriana Lima and then I am jealous of you, but sometimes even reading blogs and other social media makes me discouraged with what I'm doing in life! Don't get me wrong I LOVE reading about people's success and what they're doing with their life; nothing inspires me more than seeing other people like me go after what they love.

At the same time though, I'm like, dammit why am I sitting around thinking of things and not actually doing them, yanno what I'm sayin'? It's hard not to compare yourself to your peers, especially when it's blasted over the inter webs.


I don't even know where I am going with this post to be honest!! I just felt like getting it out there, as I'm sure I can relate to others. Truthfully, I need to relax. I'm only 25. My life is essentially just beginning with so much to look forward to. I've also done things I never thought I could do. Two and a half years ago I started a job completely out of my comfort zone and expertise, and I love it. I freaked out about running a half marathon and I completed it. Those are just minor things, but at least they're something, right?

I have time for more achievements and don't need to rush or compete with other people's timelines!

I want to write a book
I can write one at any age

I want to golf outside of the US
I can golf at any age (I hope)

I want to stay in a water bungalows in the French Polynesian
I need to learn to get on tiny planes

So Miss Erica, take a chill pill and let life take its course!
Photobucket

11 comments:

Pamela said...

I think we all go through this...or at least that's what I tell myself, ha! Sometimes I feel so stuck. I like my job, but I want more!

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with this! I sometimes feel stuck.. heck im only 20 and wish i could do what you did with going completely out of your comfort zone and taking a job, or how you ran a half marathon. People like you inspire me to better myself and do more!

P!nky said...

I agree with you girlie, it's hard to not feel stuck, but trust me, everyone feels that way at some point or another.

I was that way around 25, because it felt SO OLD compared to college, but still too young to have accomplished what I wanted at the time.

I think it's awesome you want to write a book and totally think you would rock at it. Why not start the process now in your spare time?

or let's just plan to go kidnap lil wayne together ;)

Anonymous said...

Girl, I feel you. And I want to do all those things but the golf part... come to find out I am NOT a golfer. But I can drive that cart like no one's business.

Alyssa said...

I feel the same way! I love blogs and social media but I feel like seeing all these awesome women who are younger than me getting married, having kids, opening businesses, turning their blogs into businesses, etc. makes me feel like a slacker!

Shayna @ The Fancy Yancey said...

It's all too easy to see other people's lives & compare them to ours but, I totally understand where you're coming from! Some of these people that are making differences in their communities & such I am in awe of!! Just remember that we only put out on social media what we want people to know/see. Not everything is pink roses & gold glitter! HAHA!

The Pink Growl said...

I have felt like this SO MANY TIMES!!!! It's easy to compare ourselves to others and where they are in their lives, especially with blogging and social media just throwing it in our faces all the time. The key, in my opinion, is just to be happy with who & where you are in YOUR life. I know I felt like this soooo much after my engagement ended because I felt like starting back at square one. But slowly, you learn to appreciate where you are. XOXO

Unknown said...

I think everyone around our age has felt this at some point or another!! I know that I feel that way every day when it comes to babies--everyone I know is working on baby # 2 or 3 and I'm still trying for # 1!! But my husband tells me all the time---I have to stop worrying about what everyone else is doing because we have a pretty amazing life, and right now we are exactly where we are supposed to be!!

Brianna

Marianna Dunn said...

This. All of it - I'm right there with you. But um...starting any new job is an accomplishment and running period is something to be proud of. You go girl!!

Kenzie Smith said...

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've felt like this! It's really hard not to sometimes with social media boasting everyone's successes. Days like that I stay off of the internet and focus on things that are important to me - my family, my son, and the accomplishments I've done (even if they aren't saving the world, world peace, or ending hunger ;D).

Whitney @ EHFAR said...

I know what you mean! I have my master's degree but I haven't been pursuing it because it isn't my passion. I'm sure people are side eyeing me. I'm passionate about photography. 'm now just finally buckling down and restarting my business that I quit two years ago. I am nowhere near successful since I'm totally beginning again but I hope to be.

There are guys I went to college with that are becoming big country stars and I think that's awesome. They'll probably be the most famous people that I personally know one day.

I wrote some posts on what you are talking about because I know exactly how you feel!!

http://southernbelle23.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-green-eyed-monster.html

http://southernbelle23.blogspot.com/2013/09/whats-next-i-dont-know-and-im-perfectly.html